12 v USB charging hub ?

Featured Posts

I'm looking for a bank of at least 6 USB charging ports in a single neat wall or desk mounted unit powered from 12 v,  some or all 2 amp rated. I can construct the enclosure or panel if I need to. I don't have the means to micro solder USB ports though. Total cost must be less than £10. 

Anyone got any ideas ?

Not for less than £10.   Not sure I would trust connecting a decent phone or tablet to a charger that cost about £1 per out let (and a few quid for the panel), I can see fried phones being the result.

This would be a start 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Car-Boat-switch-panel-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-3-1A-USB-Charger-Voltmeter-W6/312723480225?epid=8033716415&hash=item48cfc59ea1:g:bM0AAOSwR3tcUpM6

and swap a couple of units for usb chargers

Edited by Chewbacka
  • Greenie 1

16 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

Not for less than £10.   Not sure I would trust connecting a decent phone or tablet to a charger that cost about £1 per out let (and a few quid for the panel), I can see fried phones being the result.

This would be a start 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Car-Boat-switch-panel-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-3-1A-USB-Charger-Voltmeter-W6/312723480225?epid=8033716415&hash=item48cfc59ea1:g:bM0AAOSwR3tcUpM6

and swap a couple of units for usb chargers

I built a portable solar charger using one of these cheap switch panels - I had 2 x twin USB ports and a cigarette lighter socket and an on/off switch.  The 100w solar panel plugged in via the cigarette lighter port and charged a motorised wheelchair battery (in a miracle grow tub) and we spent 2 weeks at festivals charging phones/ipads/watches/bluetooth speakers for 17 people with no issues whatsoever.  So on that basis I'd say these items are pretty stable and didn't fry anything :)

1 hour ago, Psycloud said:

I built a portable solar charger using one of these cheap switch panels - I had 2 x twin USB ports and a cigarette lighter socket and an on/off switch.  The 100w solar panel plugged in via the cigarette lighter port and charged a motorised wheelchair battery (in a miracle grow tub) and we spent 2 weeks at festivals charging phones/ipads/watches/bluetooth speakers for 17 people with no issues whatsoever.  So on that basis I'd say these items are pretty stable and didn't fry anything :)

Yep, but the op wants at least 6 usb charge outlets (the link above only has 2) for less than a tenner.

Edited by Chewbacka

41 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Yep, but the op wants at least 6 usb charge outlets (the link above only has 2) for less than a tenner.

OK - well when they send out the panels they are all just loose items that you put together, OP could email and ask if they will swap out maybe the cigarette port and the volt meter for 2 more double USB ports :)

2 hours ago, Psycloud said:

OK - well when they send out the panels they are all just loose items that you put together, OP could email and ask if they will swap out maybe the cigarette port and the volt meter for 2 more double USB ports :)

But to get 6 outlets that would cost him nearly double what he wants to spend.

21 hours ago, CompairHolman said:

I'm looking for a bank of at least 6 USB charging ports in a single neat wall or desk mounted unit powered from 12 v,  some or all 2 amp rated. I can construct the enclosure or panel if I need to. I don't have the means to micro solder USB ports though. Total cost must be less than £10. 

Anyone got any ideas ?

Here you go.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RAYDOSOM-Charger-Charge-Samsung-Galaxy/dp/B07CPNZ9FV/ref=sr_1_42?keywords=portable+usb+6+port+charger&qid=1566477782&s=gateway&sr=8-42

Why must it be less than £10?

Lots of 6 port USB units on Amazon...... some of the 240V units will have an AC/DC adaptor, so you can sort out a DC supply for them.

• Love 1

17 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Here you go.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RAYDOSOM-Charger-Charge-Samsung-Galaxy/dp/B07CPNZ9FV/ref=sr_1_42?keywords=portable+usb+6+port+charger&qid=1566477782&s=gateway&sr=8-42

Lots of 6 port USB units on Amazon...... some of the 240V units will have an AC/DC adaptor, so you can sort out a DC supply for them.

Because that is the rule set by the op.

Any one can find one for £20, but so far no one has won the glory of success.

Just now, Chewbacka said:

Because that is the rule set by the op.

Any one can find one for £20, but so far no one has won the glory of success.

Can't disagree with that, but it would be interesting to know his reason.

Is he skint, and down to his last tenner, and a 6 port USB unit is critical to his life? Has he just set an arbitrary budget, which can be broken if the right thing comes along?Is he making something to get funding on Dragons Den, and the cost of the USB bits is set by the maximum final price of his item.

11 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Is he skint, and down to his last tenner, and a 6 port USB unit is critical to his life? Has he just set an arbitrary budget, which can be broken if the right thing comes along?Is he making something to get funding on Dragons Den, and the cost of the USB bits is set by the maximum final price of his item.

Or He wants some one else to do his product design/development for free?   Synical? Me!

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

Here you go.

That's a good option I didn't find. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

I said £10 because that's what I reckon I could make one for. I have everything I need to build one already except the ports . 

Edited by CompairHolman