Solar - mc4 cable / mppt and panel ratings

Johny London

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, David Mack said:

The instructions for my 20A Tracer (XTRA2206N) state that the maximum power output is 260W (i.e 20A at 13V), but that you can connect up to 780W of panels (for a 12V system). That way you can still get up to 20A into your batteries in lower light conditions, but you won't get more than 20A even in very bright sun.

You still have to observe the maximum open circuit voltage limits, which in practice means the extra panels may have to be in parallel, not series.

yes, that'll be the same rating for the older, yellow buttoned one (A series). The new blue button equivalent (AN series) is rated at only 390w max pv array!

Certainly worth noting.

Edited by Johny London

20 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think that happened long ago!

Still v curious about what the conductor is, given it is SO stiff to bend and difficult to cut. 

The stuff I have is tinned copper, just confirmed by triplesolar where I bought it. 

Edited by rusty69

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Oooh, a scientific test. 

Just put my reel next to the ships compass. No deflection, variation or deviation. 

Variation is not affected by stray magnetism in any event, but put some current through that reel and I bet you will get some deviation and deflection. 

N