Zero emissions....

MtB

Featured Posts

Seeing as it is the season to start threads about boats going 'zero emission', what exactly does this mean? The leaflet actually says "Zero emission propulsion capability" so presumably heating with coal and diesel will still be fine. 

Pretty clear it means no more burning of fossil fuels for propulsion but the first problem muddying the waters is CRT giving a hefty discount for 'electric drive' boats even when a diesel fueled, on-board generator provides all the electricity.

Secondly I'm not quite sure what would qualify as zero emission anyway. Burning CO2-producing 'renewable' fuel (bio diesel, glycerine, biomass)? This clearly bungs out CO2 in spades but is as it is recently captured CO2 does it count as 'zero emission'? Obviously it is almost "carbon neutral" but not quite, but will 'not quite' be good enough?

Any more terms/jargons that should be bunged into the mix? "Renewables"? Any others?

image.png.17ef1d9645e57e5f9073e8b58b34364d.pngimage.png.17ef1d9645e57e5f9073e8b58b34364d.png

As I pointed out on another thread a week or so back, there are two quite separate policy ambitions: one is to reduce certain harmful emissions, both gases and particulates, whilst the other is about reducing the use of fossil/carbon fuels, with a specific emphasis on renewable energy sources (although the term renewable is itself interesting, for example with solar)

A zero emission ship could still, in theory, run on diesel provided that it has a much more effective exhaust system than now. The use of bio diesel is, in the sense oft used, a renewable source that would allow diesel engines to continue without a fossil dependency. However, the use of land for growing the drops is finite.

Balancing different aspects of the ecological equation is never easy, fraught with intended consequences, and even harder when political and economic aspects are factored in. Always much easier to propose solutions if you can chose to disregard some of the requirements in the spec.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Secondly I'm not quite sure what would qualify as zero emission anyway

It means that if you are on your boat you can't fart... If you have a pet cow and it's on your boat it definitely can't fart. So no belching, no farting, no emitting to anything you wouldn't want your great aunt Ethel to hear. ?

3 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

It means that if you are on your boat you can't fart... If you have a pet cow and it's on your boat it definitely can't fart. So no belching, no farting, no emitting to anything you wouldn't want your great aunt Ethel to hear. ?

So where will the fun in boating be?

15 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

In stopping you pet cow farting - or at least in not getting caught ?

Surely thst would lead to a very high risk of explosion, especizlly in a confined space such as the csbin of a boat. ?

• Haha 1

I guess this pet cow would be in an open hold on a proper working boat, a sort of mini roving farm as it were, as you'd want her to be in the open air (but sheltered under a top cloth I suppose) for a combination of reasons. Her welfare, yours, reducing the aforementioned explosion risk, and also because if the cow is facing forwards her emissions (think of Newton's First Law) would be a means of propulsion for the boat. Setting fire to the methane might give you a sort of jet propulsion but is not kind to the cow, and could that be a BSS failure?

4 minutes ago, Peter X said:

I guess this pet cow would be in an open hold on a proper working boat, a sort of mini roving farm as it were, as you'd want her to be in the open air (but sheltered under a top cloth I suppose) for a combination of reasons. Her welfare, yours, reducing the aforementioned explosion risk, and also because if the cow is facing forwards her emissions (think of Newton's First Law) would be a means of propulsion for the boat. Setting fire to the methane might give you a sort of jet propulsion but is not kind to the cow, and could that be a BSS failure?

Insert a valve and divert the emissions to a storage tank and use for cooking.

Milk, methane and eventually beef, it's a win win

Although does anyone want my milk, cow juice bleagh 

3 minutes ago, Peter X said:

Funny thing is, I been reading one of James Wight (Better know as James Herriot) books in which is account of a student  veterinary burning a barn down after setting light to the gas coming from the rear of a cow, which resulted in a 30ft flame setting light to bales of hay and burning the barn down. 

1 minute ago, nbfiresprite said:

Funny thing is, I been reading one of James Wight (Better know as James Herriot) books in which is account of a student  veterinary burning a barn down after setting light to the gas coming from the rear of a cow, which resulted in a 30ft flame setting light to bales of hay and burning the barn down. 

What's even worse is students set fire to themselves lighting their own farts - :rolleyes:Boys...

I knew someone once who set fire to a lorry load of hay by flicking his fag end out the window; I'd forgotten all about that till now. ?

It wasn't funny - I shouldn't laugh. 

12 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

If I remember right, it hadn't reached the rear end yet, they were venting it out of a bloated cows stomach 

8 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

If I remember right, it hadn't reached the rear end yet, they were venting it out of a bloated cows stomach 

That sounds very ruminantary.An offal idea. 

Edited by rusty69
Smelling
  • Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

What's even worse is students set fire to themselves lighting their own farts - :rolleyes:Boys...

Back in the school days (a long time ago) I remember a very serious accident - a friend was an expert at lighting his emissions, but on this one day he had a 'blow-back'.

The flaming fart backfired and set fire to his nylon shorts, which melted and stuck to his skin. The School nurse took him away and he ended up in hospital.

Image result for fire cow fart

• Horror 1

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Back in the school days (a long time ago) I remember a very serious accident - a friend was an expert at lighting his emissions, but on this one day he had a 'blow-back'.

The flaming fart backfired and set fire to his nylon shorts, which melted and stuck to his skin. The School nurse took him away and he ended up in hospital.

Image result for fire cow fart

At least he wasn't Friesian to death. 

Edited by rusty69
Smelling yet again
  • Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

That does not sound at all proper. 

28 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Insert a valve and divert the emissions to a storage tank and use for cooking.

Milk, methane and eventually beef, it's a win win

Although does anyone want my milk, cow juice bleagh 

Biomethane or commonly called green gas... 

fullsizeoutput_b91.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b90.jpeg

P.S. it's not really that green

Well it is green but not green in colour