Newbee insurance

Roger Beattie

Featured Posts

I am getting a new build boat next month and am currently looking to insure. I am waiting for some quotes and a couple have refused me as l only have 1 weeks hire boat experience. Can anyone recommend a reputable firm who will insure the boat.

Thanks Roger

4 minutes ago, Roger Beattie said:

I am getting a new build boat next month and am currently looking to insure. I am waiting for some quotes and a couple have refused me as l only have 1 weeks hire boat experience. Can anyone recommend a reputable firm who will insure the boat.

Thanks Roger

The most well known is probably :

http://www.craftinsure.com/

Fill in the details and get an online quote

There are several out there, google is your friend. A major difference though is that unlike car insurance were the policy price can change ten fold from firm to firm, with boat insurance you will be hard pushed to get a difference of 100 pounds between top and bottom price for similar cover. Euromarine are good as are many others.

6 minutes ago, Roger Beattie said:

Thanks Roger

Must have been an inspiring one week hire!

• Haha 1

We are currently with GJW. Have previously been with Craftinsure, Collidge and partners, Newton crumb. 

Have never made a claim, so can't comment on how good they are. 

ETA. I have never insured a bee either. Not an oldbee or a newbee. 

Edited by rusty69

1 hour ago, PaulD said:

Growing up my uncle had a narrowboat which he fitted out himself and l used to go on that. I was always mucking about and fishing on the cut around Chester so l suppose it is in my blood a bit, just took about 40 odd years to come back to me.

1 hour ago, PaulD said:

2 hours ago, Roger Beattie said:

Thanks Roger

Would it help if you had a qualification like a helmsman certificate or whatever its called. 

Together with my wife we are doing a 1 day boat handling course 25 Sept,but that is too late for the insurance. I was quoted £700 for a 2 day helmsman course, sod that

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

We are currently with GJW. Have previously been with Craftinsure, Collidge and partners, Newton crumb. 

Have never made a claim, so can't comment on how good they are. 

ETA. I have never insured a bee either. Not an oldbee or a newbee. 

GJW have quoted me £290 the closest to that has been £360. Thanks very much.

47 minutes ago, Roger Beattie said:

Together with my wife we are doing a 1 day boat handling course 25 Sept,but that is too late for the insurance. I was quoted £700 for a 2 day helmsman course, sod that

GJW have quoted me £290 the closest to that has been £360. Thanks very much.

My latest premium with GJW was  £152 on a 35k boat fwiw. 

2 hours ago, Roger Beattie said:

Growing up my uncle had a narrowboat which he fitted out himself and l used to go on that. I was always mucking about and fishing on the cut around Chester so l suppose it is in my blood a bit, just took about 40 odd years to come back to me.

So you have narrowboating experience going back 40 years.  Put 40 years in the box.

We are with GJW. When we first bought the boat and took out insurance they asked how much experience we had, which was none. They said they would put a clause in the insurance that we were unable to drive(?) the boat unless someone experienced was with us, but if we did a helmsman course this clause would be removed.

We had a fabulous two days doing the RYA helmsman course with Cheshire Cats and did not regret the expense at all. It made us much more confident about everything from mooring, locks, passing moored boats and driving in the wind and rain. Yes, it was additional expense, but it was one we were happy to accept.