Broad Cut top lock length? - Calder and Hebble

sooty

Featured Posts

Does anyone in the area know the length of Broad Cut Top lock?

Tried all the usual resources but a bit ambiguous .

I know beyond is limited to 57 foot but Looking to take a 60 foot widebeam up to Horbury Bridge.

(With a view to eventually turning it round in the offline moorings  entrance there?

Thankyou

I've seen the community barge SOBRIETY moored at Horbury bridge, so think you should be good.  From memory I believe Millbank lock is the shortest on that section but that's further up.

11 hours ago, sooty said:

Does anyone in the area know the length of Broad Cut Top lock?

Tried all the usual resources but a bit ambiguous .

I know beyond is limited to 57 foot but Looking to take a 60 foot widebeam up to Horbury Bridge.

(With a view to eventually turning it round in the offline moorings  entrance there?

Thankyou

I have not been through Top Lock in a while but I thought it the first of the 57’6” locks. Even if it’s a bit longer there are platforms on the inside of the bottom gates that reduce the available length. I know because I nearly got my tiller stuck under one of them while i was being distracted by a gongoozler.

I recall taking Leeds & Liverpool short boat 'Wye' through the lock in June 1982 , with a load from Armley (Leeds) to Horbury for a building job, and as Pearley's post shows there was no problem with length (or width).  Millbank Lock is (I think) the narrowest rather than the shortest lock on the C&H.  My Manvers size keel 'Charles William' (14 ft 8 in beam) would not pass through Millbank lock when I tried, in 1979.   It did go across the Leeds & Liverpool later that year, but only just - though air draft was the main problem on that canal.

Regards

David

We did this recently in 59’ narrowboat coming up from the Aire and turning at Dewsbury. Mill Bank was definitely the tightest by a good bit - had to raise all fenders and couldn’t go up with the other boat we were sharing with - had to go up separately. Broad Cut top lock was significantly longer, so I suspect you will be fine at 60’

34 minutes ago, sooty said:

Thankyou all for your input .

Can I ask Pearley where that information photographed is published ?

It is a Collingwood but fortunately a 'round stern'

I'd be interested as well.  CNS publication?

Does anyone know the length of the (new) Lemonroyd Lock?  It was intended to be SYN length (i.e. 70 metres) but I believe it's shorter than that and possibly the shortest lock on the A&CN below Leeds Lock, not counting the banana shaped chamber at Castleford.  The narrowest lock is the low end of Bulholme of course at 6.3 metres (I think) at the lowest point of the straight walls which batter in.

Best wishes

David L

Edited by fanshaft
spelling errors!

1 hour ago, sooty said:

Thankyou all for your input .

Can I ask Pearley where that information photographed is published ?

It is  a Collingwood but fortunately a 'round stern'

"Northeast Waterways " by Derek Bowskill published by Imray dated 1986.

Edited by pearley