2 pack epoxy

BTR69

Featured Posts

I will be in the Northampton area in September on my 60ft 

narrowboat.

Is this too late in the year to get the boat sand/grit blasted 

and then 2 part epoxied.

If not where is the most reasonable place to have  this done.

At the moment I have been quoted £5700 min all in. Excuse

me if this has been asked many times before but is this excess?

32 minutes ago, BTR69 said:

narrowboat.

and then 2 part epoxied.

I've no idea what the charges are from a boat yard but I recently helped a mate do his in the boat club dry dock so these are diy costs

Dry dock £150

Sandblasting £500

20 litres Hempel 2 pack epoxy £180

Rollers, masks and sundries £100

It's not too late to do it, but September is probably far too late to book for, any decent boatyard will have their docks next 6 months booked up as a rule. 

Someone called us in the middle of July, said they were passing in August, could they leave the boat for a week for a full repaint and engine service(but it wouldnt need to come out of the water as it was blacked 2 years ago).!!! They were most put out when we explained the dock is now booking for next year, and full repaints only 2 slots left in 2021.

September should be ok but as it gets colder/damper then there is more chance of a less than optimum job unless they have a heated indoor workshop. Can you wait till next summer? A less than "perfect" but still totally adequate job could maybe be had for about £2000.

..............Dave

21 hours ago, Midnight said:

I've no idea what the charges are from a boat yard but I recently helped a mate do his in the boat club dry dock so these are diy costs

Dry dock £150

Sandblasting £500

20 litres Hempel 2 pack epoxy £180

Rollers, masks and sundries £100

DIY sandblasting?   Now that is a job I would definitely not DIY.  What blasting media did you use (sand ??), what precautions were taken to ensure the job was safe for yourselves and other folk and their property in the vicinity, and what standard of finish were you aiming at? 

4 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

I'd be asking Midnight where, when etc. 

Dry dock South Pennine Boat Club £75 A week, members only ? Hempel from Carter paints, Sunderland. Sand blasting by Mick Blackley, Barnsley, Masks and filters from Arco, Sundries from Boyes store. The bottom plate on Midnight was done a few years ago, brought it out to see how it was doing. When other members saw it was in very good order they decided to have their's done too. Another two scheduled for September and October. Midnight's hull sides were done from new 15 years ago and still not a blemish to be seen. 

Edited to add the hardest job is clearing the sand from the dock 4 of us 3 hours ?

Edited by Midnight
  • Greenie 1

On 19/08/2019 at 15:29, BTR69 said:

narrowboat.

and then 2 part epoxied.

Midlands price:

http://www.nortoncanesboatbuilders.co.uk/home/index.php/boatyard-services/blacking

I had the blasting done on my widebeam for £350 by a mobile blasting bloke - sides up to the top rubbing strake, swims, uxter, but that didn't include the baseplate apart from the upswept bit at the bow. Then I put on 4 coats of Jotamastic 87. 

The bit I haven't described was the day I spent after the blasting sweeping off all that grit. It gets everywhere.

Dry dock: £400

Grit blasting: £350

8 x 4.7 litre cans of Jotamastic 87: £400

Misc: £100

Total: £1,250

These yards that charge £5k or £6k for two coats are making an absolute killing 

Edited by blackrose

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

But how many hours labour did you put in? Price that up at (say) £50 per hour and see what it could cost.

I really cant understand why people say that.

When you are doing your own boat, you dont pay yourself, you are doing it because you want to do it right and cheaper.

I painted Old Friends in 9 days, much longer hours than I would normally work, but the dock and opportunity was there. 

11 hours ago, David Mack said:

But how many hours labour did you put in? Price that up at (say) £50 per hour and see what it could cost.

I guess it was 5 days labour as I did the whole thing myself, but I put on 4 coats and I'm talking about a widebeam.

7 hours/day x 5 x 50 = £1,750 + the £1,250 spent on dry dock, paint, etc = £3k.

You might pay a yard £50/hour by the way, but I worked in a yard for a couple of years and they only pay their laborers about £70/day. Anyway I'm not sure what the point is of seeing what it could cost if you're not doing it yourself? A yard will give you a quote and that's that. 

8 hours ago, David Mack said:

To get an idea whether yards charging £5-6k are "making an absolute killing" as Blackrose suggests. 

Well, I think it's pretty obvious that they are. You're using the customer's cost for the dry dock and labour. Yards don't pay that themselves.

I realise that ultimately my own time has a cost but I just took some days off work and as Matty said, did it myself to do it right and do it cheaper. No yard I've heard of applies 4 coats of two pack epoxy. If you ask for that you can probably add another £1.5k to the quote.

Edited by blackrose

On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 20:57, Captain Fizz said:

£5000 is a bit steep!!

I would expect a bill of £4000 for blasting and two sprayed coats of epoxy including the baseplate.

Blimey - I can't remember the exact figure now, but I believe Debdale 'only' charged us about £4500 for grit-blasting our (55ft) hull, spraying it with molten zinc, then applying two-pack epoxy. I thought I was splashing out on an expensive and arguably unproven hull treatment; if your figures are right, I pretty much paid the going rate for grit-blasting and two-pack and got the zinc-spraying free!