Sherborne Wharf

Heartland

Featured Posts

There was a time that getting to Sherborne Wharf by foot was difficult, and travelling by boat much easier. But with modern canal side developments there is now a walkway from Browning Street to Sheepcote Street across the canal and serving the new canal square off Browning Street. It is possible to see the old arm that passed under Sherborne Street to a bedstead factory and the old 1828 mill at the end of Browning Street had been converted into appartments.

There is a new development on Sherborne Wharf, which when finished will obscure the view to the art deco Fellows Morton and Clayton former offices. What will happen to this heritage 1930's design is another matter for concern.

DSC_0031r.jpg

Its really sad, but I think that once historic buildings are so surrounded by high rise modern stuff that they are effectively invisible then there is little point in keeping them. "Listing" should really protect a whole area rather than just individual buildings. I would still like to see the canal system as a sort of national park with protection maybe 100 yards either side of it.

...............Dave

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, dmr said:

Its really sad, but I think that once historic buildings are so surrounded by high rise modern stuff that they are effectively invisible then there is little point in keeping them. "Listing" should really protect a whole area rather than just individual buildings. I would still like to see the canal system as a sort of national park with protection maybe 100 yards either side of it.

...............Dave

Like the North Stratford

3 hours ago, dmr said:

...............Dave

Listing does include the setting and the surroundings in general.  Any building work in the vicinity of a listed building will have that listing as a factor in any planning determination.  The listed building isn't always the determining factor though.

5 hours ago, dmr said:

...............Dave

Tooleys being a prime example ?

8 hours ago, dmr said:

"Listing" should really protect a whole area rather than just individual buildings. I would still like to see the canal system as a sort of national park with protection maybe 100 yards either side of it.

Conservation Areas -at least in theory- protect the character of whole areas, though they aren't intended to prevent development completely.

One great advantage of conservation areas is that they can be designated by the local authority quite quickly with little 'interference' from other agencies/ government bodies.

Long lengths of canal are designated as Conservation Areas -such as the one along the Grand Union in the Warwick area.

https://www.warwickdc.gov.uk/info/20004/planning/1264/canal_conservation_area

1 hour ago, John Brightley said:

One great advantage of conservation areas is that they can be designated by the local authority quite quickly with little 'interference' from other agencies/ government bodies.

Long lengths of canal are designated as Conservation Areas -such as the one along the Grand Union in the Warwick area.

I wonder how much extra that costs CRT every year

29 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I wonder how much extra that costs CRT every year

There's no reason why designating an area a conservation area should cost CRT anything at all.

The intention of the designation is only to protect the character of the area, so unless CRT plan to change the canal or its surroundings dramatically, they won't be affected.

14 minutes ago, John Brightley said:

There's no reason why designating an area a conservation area should cost CRT anything at all.

The intention of the designation is only to protect the character of the area, so unless CRT plan to change the canal or its surroundings dramatically, they won't be affected.

The area around Sherborne Wharf would not meet the criteria for a Conservation Area.  Too much has changed there.

There are plenty of canal related conservation areas nearby though.  Examples include Galton Valley, Digbeth and Tipton.

Edited by Dave_P