Thornycroft Control panel - temperature gauge

IDS

Featured Posts

Has anybody managed to find a replacement temperature gauge for the original supply temperature gauge in the control panel for a Thornycroft T95 engine (mitsubishi base S4L). These panels appear to have been supplied by Pricol.

Mine is defective and reads high , 50 C even when not connected to sensor !

Arn't they standard 2"/50mm gauges? If so plenty to choose from but you will need to know if you have a US or European sender. ASAP lists a number and gives the resistances so you can probably check the resistance of your sender to guestimate which standard it was built to.

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Arn't they standard 2"/50mm gauges? If so plenty to choose from but you will need to know if you have a US or European sender. ASAP lists a number and gives the resistances so you can probably check the resistance of your sender to guestimate which standard it was built to.

or buy a new gauge and sender as a pair if you are not sure of the sender accuracy

9 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

or buy a new gauge and sender as a pair if you are not sure of the sender accuracy

Problem is the sender thread and diameter is likely to be different if you (say) buy a US set and the old one was European. Then you have to order and wait for adaptors.

6 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Problem is the sender thread and diameter is likely to be different if you (say) buy a US set and the old one was European. Then you have to order and wait for adaptors.

I thought most engines use 1/8"npt, though a fine old british engine may use bsp, so you are correct, it may not fit..........

If changing the sender maybe borrow/buy a cheap tap & die set and see what matches.

1 minute ago, Chewbacka said:

I thought most engines use 1/8"npt, though a fine old british engine may use bsp, so you are correct, it may not fit..........

If changing the sender maybe borrow/buy a cheap tap & die set and see what matches.

Actually if its a Mitsubishi based engine the likelihood is that it will be US spec. unless Thorneycroft changed the standard sender.

The gauge is 2" std. My sender seems to be 1.7k at 20 C. Dont know if this is US or Euro std, cant find a spec for either. Looks like thornycroft added the sensor to the thermostat housing then buried it under a load of brackets making it difficult to access, so don't know what thread it's likely to be without a bit of dismantling, which is why it would be good to find a matching gauge.

21 minutes ago, IDS said:

The gauge is 2" std. My sender seems to be 1.7k at 20 C. Dont know if this is US or Euro std, cant find a spec for either. Looks like thornycroft added the sensor to the thermostat housing then buried it under a load of brackets making it difficult to access, so don't know what thread it's likely to be without a bit of dismantling, which is why it would be good to find a matching gauge.

As both US and European senders give resistance values in Ohms, not kOhms one can suspect your sender is unserviceable.

US data 450 ohms & 100F to 29.6 Ohms @ 250F

European data

282 ohms @ 40C to 22 Ohms @ 120C

All from page 7-5 of the ASAP 2009/2010 catalogue

• 1 year later...
On 18/08/2019 at 23:03, IDS said:

Has anybody managed to find a replacement temperature gauge for the original supply temperature gauge in the control panel for a Thornycroft T95 engine (mitsubishi base S4L). These panels appear to have been supplied by Pricol.

Mine is defective and reads high , 50 C even when not connected to sensor !

Hi there. I am trying to identify the model numbers for the missing water pump and the 2 alternators on my T95. 

Could you have a look of the model numbers on your engine and send them to me please. It would be a life saver. Much appreciated ?

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry Hanorient, just spotted your post.  I don't have info on water pump to hand, but you should be able to find this from a Mitsubishi base engine parts list. The starter alternator was  a 50A Mitsubishi, part no  31A68-00402,  and the number A7T02071C also appears on the unit which I think is for the brushes. The aux alternator is a 70A 12v, I'll look for some ID next time I'm there if you wish. . Photos shows arrangement of belts if that helps. PM me if you need more info.

20200613_221712-1.jpg

20200613_221934-1.jpg