Regulated 12v supply

blackrose

Featured Posts

I've got a Goodman's freesat box with a 240v AC input and 12v DC output. I think it draws a couple of amps (12v). I want to run it direct from 12v and looking on eBay for a voltage regulated 12v socket, but not sure what I should be searching for? A multiple cigarette lighter socket would be the sort of thing. Can anyone recommend anything please? Thanks.

Edited by blackrose

15 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I've got a Goodman's freesat box with a 240v AC input and 12v DC output. I think it draws a couple of amps (12v). I want to run it direct from 12v and looking on eBay for a voltage regulated 12v socket, but not sure what I should be searching for? A multiple cigarette lighter socket would be the sort of thing. Can anyone recommend anything please? Thanks.

You need to know the dimensions of the 12v plug. External diameter, internal diameter, and does it have a pin in the centre. I have a cheap vernier caliper that I think I bought from Aldi years ago, which helps with making these tiny and awkward measurements.

e.g. in the power supply referred to by rusty, the plugs are as follows, the larger number being the external diameter, (obviously ?).

6.0*4.0mm/6.3*3.0mm/5.5*2.1mm/5.5*2.5mm/5.5*1.7mm/4.8*1.7mm/4.0*1.7mm/3.5*1.35mm

The big one with a black rim looks like it has a pin in the middle.

Having said that, I'm not sure that one will suit, as it seems to have a minimum 15V output.

12 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

You need to know the dimensions of the 12v plug. External diameter, internal diameter, and does it have a pin in the centre. I have a cheap vernier caliper that I think I bought from Aldi years ago, which helps with making these tiny and awkward measurements.

e.g. in the power supply referred to by rusty, the plugs are as follows, the larger number being the external diameter, (obviously ?).

6.0*4.0mm/6.3*3.0mm/5.5*2.1mm/5.5*2.5mm/5.5*1.7mm/4.8*1.7mm/4.0*1.7mm/3.5*1.35mm

The big one with a black rim looks like it has a pin in the middle.

Having said that, I'm not sure that one will suit, as it seems to have a minimum 15V output.

No sorry, perhaps I didn't explain properly. I have the 12v output cable and plug that goes into the box from the 240v adapter. I can just cut the 12v cable and plug off that and use it. 

I just need a regulated 12v feed for the 12v source supply but not sure what to search for on eBay. Regulated multiple 12v cigarette lighter sockets would be good.

Edited by blackrose

5 minutes ago, blackrose said:

No sorry, perhaps I didn't explain properly. I have the 12v output cable and plug that goes into the box from the 240v adapter. I can just cut the 12v cable and plug off that and use it. 

I just need a regulated 12v feed for the 12v source supply but not sure what to search for on eBay. Regulated multiple 12v cigarette lighter sockets would be good.

Just do a search for 12v voltage stabilizer and take your pick...

9 minutes ago, blackrose said:

No sorry, perhaps I didn't explain properly. I have the 12v output cable and plug from the 240v adapter. I can just cut the cable off that and use it. 

Aha... You might find one here for your specific freesat, or you could chop the end off any of the 12V/12v adapters

http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/acadaptershopuk_i.html?x=0&y=0&_nkw=goodmans+adapter&

I always worry about getting the polarity correct with the chopping the old plug off technique, so have never done it :( 

7 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Aha... You might find one here for your specific freesat, or you could chop the end off any of the 12V/12v adapters

http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/acadaptershopuk_i.html?x=0&y=0&_nkw=goodmans+adapter&

I always worry about getting the polarity correct with the chopping the old plug off technique, so have never done it :( 

Does polarity matter on 12v DC?

I think this is the sort of thing I need but not sure if this is voltage regulated?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F233228359836

But you're probably right, I may as well find the right Goodman's 12v lead. Thanks.

Edited by blackrose

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

Does polarity matter on 12v DC?

I think this is the sort of thing I need but not sure if this is voltage regulated?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F233228359836

But you're probably right, I may as well find the right Goodman's 12v lead. Thanks.

That just looks like a means of splitting one 12v supply into 2 plus a couple of USB sockets, without regulation. The fact that it gives a readout which shows over 14v in the pictures makes it reasonably clear that it supplies whatever is supplied at the input end..... As Far As I Can Tell :) 

9 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Yes!

I guess I've just been extremely fortunate every time over the past 20 years then! ?

7 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

That just looks like a means of splitting one 12v supply into 2 plus a couple of USB sockets, without regulation. The fact that it gives a readout which shows over 14v in the pictures makes it reasonably clear that it supplies whatever is supplied at the input end..... As Far As I Can Tell :) 

Ok, I'll go with your recommendation of getting a proper adapter then. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Johny London said:

That will only step down, so with engine running at say 14.4v it will give 12v no problem, but at 12v I doubt you will get more than about 10.5V.  If your appliance is happy at 10.5V then maybe ok, but if it needs 12v probably not a suitable device.

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

This is what I bought back in 2014. Still providing sterling service.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008A6GCXK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Only one output plug which it says is: 

• 2.1mm/5.5mm DC output plug. Central positive polarity.

if it didnt fit, the OP can always try the cutting it off and replacing with his existing.

5 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

That will only step down, so with engine running at say 14.4v it will give 12v no problem, but at 12v I doubt you will get more than about 10.5V.  If your appliance is happy at 10.5V then maybe ok, but if it needs 12v probably not a suitable device.

No it only drops about 0.07 of a volt - it's a buck converter type thing so very much more efficient than a normal linear voltage regulator. Works for me anyway!