Why is this happening?

pete.i

Featured Posts

I get this all of a sudden when view the forum when I am not logged in. It's the bit about not seeing posts as I am using a forum that requires ten posts to view. I've never seen this before, any ideas anyone?

Image1.jpg

5 minutes ago, pete.i said:

I get this all of a sudden when view the forum when I am not logged in. It's the bit about not seeing posts as I am using a forum that requires ten posts to view. I've never seen this before, any ideas anyone?

Image1.jpg

This appears to be the result of the vote to hide posts in the Political section of the forum, and not show them in View New Content. I thought that meant they would disappear completely, unless you went to the Political section, but apparently not. They're still listed but without any detail. So I still have to scroll past a load of rubbish to get to any posts about boating/canals. Something else that I wasted a vote on.

I cannot understand why you would ever view and not be logged in - if there was something you wanted to reply / ask about you'd have to close down and log in anyway.

You can be logged in and 'hidden' if you select the right button - again, unless you don't want anyone to know you are watching in secret, why bother ?

I rarely log in, I rarely post. But I have a scan through the forum most days. If I want to post, I just log in, it takes a second, I don't have to close down first.

I understood the vote to be about posts in the Political section not appearing in View New Content, however if I log in, they're still there. If I don't log in, I see the 10 posts thing that pete.i mentions. So the vote had changed nothing, the Political posts are still in VNC.

31 minutes ago, DaveandDebby said:

I rarely log in, I rarely post. But I have a scan through the forum most days. If I want to post, I just log in, it takes a second, I don't have to close down first.

I understood the vote to be about posts in the Political section not appearing in View New Content, however if I log in, they're still there. If I don't log in, I see the 10 posts thing that pete.i mentions. So the vote had changed nothing, the Political posts are still in VNC.

Hello D̶e̶b̶b̶i̶e̶ Debby. Welcome back to the mad house.

I understood the vote to be purely to hide all threads in the Political and Current Affairs section, so that we didn't all have to see the childish insults in the Brexit thread, or Parahandy's bigotted "news" threads. But they are all still there when I look at VNC, though they are "condensed" rather than "expanded" 

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Hello D̶e̶b̶b̶i̶e̶ Debby. Welcome back to the mad house.

Hi Rusty. I don't think I'll be here long. Things seem to have got worse. 

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, DaveandDebby said:

Agreed.

I only popped back to bid on the duck in Aunties auction. Lots of 'politics' going on,but that's the democratic will of the peoples vote for ya.

Edited by rusty69

18 minutes ago, canalboat said:

Please put it back to what it was. I was not aware we all had to vote on something that has changed what we are used to.

But this isn't a result of the (voted upon) change, its simply a result of RichM not fully understanding something, so when he altered what shows up in VNC, it (I am guessing unintentionally) shows these "you need 10 posts to...." messages. People are guessing at what they are but with a bit of logic, and knowing the behind-the-scenes configuration, it should be easy enough to identify them, and correct the VNC screen to show stuff properly without the extra messages there.

By all means if you don't have the patience to wait around for the fix, you can go though, but it does seem a bit premature to do so.

1 hour ago, pete.i said:

I get this all of a sudden when view the forum when I am not logged in.

Simple. it is because you are not logged in.
Since you are not logged in there is no way for the software to know who  you are and if you have posted the required 10 posts. This is not uncommon in forum software.

• Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, DaveandDebby said:

I understood the vote to be purely to hide all threads in the Political and Current Affairs section, so that we didn't all have to see the childish insults in the Brexit thread, or Parahandy's bigotted "news" threads. But they are all still there when I look at VNC, though they are "condensed" rather than "expanded" 

The best way for the forum to flourish is for the majority of reasonable members to stay and post intresting stuff, eventually the mischief makers will bugger off.

What I am saying is stay and make it a place worth visiting 

28 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Agreed.

I only popped back to bid on the duck in Aunties auction. Lots of 'politics' going on,but that's the democratic will of the peoples vote for ya.

Don't you dare bugger off again :)

• Greenie 4

6 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

The best way for the forum to flourish is for the majority of reasonable members to stay and post intresting stuff, eventually the mischief makers will bugger off.

What I am saying is stay and make it a place worth visiting 

Don't you dare bugger off again :)

Mmmmm, your first bit doesn't really correspond with your second bit in my case.

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Mmmmm, your first bit doesn't really correspond with your second bit in my case.

Absolutely. The "mischief makers" are long term members who used to be reasonable, and on occasion, interested. No longer. They seem to get pleasure from being rude and insulting to anyone who doesn't agree with them, no matter what the topic is. It's changing - for the worst.

26 minutes ago, Kudzucraft said:

Since you are not logged in there is no way for the software to know who  you are and if you have posted the required 10 posts. This is not uncommon in forum software.

But this "change" has suddenly happened, with no notification. The only change was supposed to be to the Political section.

4 minutes ago, DaveandDebby said:

Absolutely. The "mischief makers" are long term members who used to be reasonable, and on occasion, interested. No longer. They seem to get pleasure from being rude and insulting to anyone who doesn't agree with them, no matter what the topic is. It's changing - for the worst.

Phew, at least MJG is no longer here eh!:)

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Well yes, but there seems to have been a dramatic outbreak of Grumpy Old Man Syndrome, which is very infectious. A shame, but I'm afraid I no longer get any pleasure from this forum, and I've enjoyed my summer break from it. I think I'll extend it to an autumn break. I only came back because I was told that the result of a vote would get rid of the Political posts from VNC!

10 minutes ago, DaveandDebby said:

Well yes, but there seems to have been a dramatic outbreak of Grumpy Old Man Syndrome, which is very infectious. A shame, but I'm afraid I no longer get any pleasure from this forum, and I've enjoyed my summer break from it. I think I'll extend it to an autumn break. I only came back because I was told that the result of a vote would get rid of the Political posts from VNC!

GOM syndrome. Oh, no. I don't want to be infected.Where is the exit? 

I may yet join you on your Autumn break.Are we going anywhere nice?

I spose that nice Mr Monkey does have a point though.

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

GOM syndrome. Oh, no. I don't want to be infected.Where is the exit? 

I may yet join you on your Autumn break.Are we going anywhere nice?

That's it for the year though, I'm only allowed to make 1 point per annum 

We had a vote on whether or not we would see the politics section on the VNC but we can still see the politics section on the VNC when logged in so I take it the not seeing it when not logged in isn't that. 

37 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

If you Voldemort him back into existence then you're on you one with that one Beagle :glare:

1 hour ago, Paul C said:

But this isn't a result of the (voted upon) change, its simply a result of RichM not fully understanding something, so when he altered what shows up in VNC, it (I am guessing unintentionally) shows these "you need 10 posts to...." messages.

I wonder if it has more to do with trying not to encourage to people join for what could be an interest in controversial subjects rather than canals. 

1 hour ago, Kudzucraft said:

?But It's NEW?

9 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Yes he does 

24 minutes ago, DaveandDebby said:

Well yes, but there seems to have been a dramatic outbreak of Grumpy Old Man Syndrome,

Ain't there just - all the more reason to hang around and even up the numbers a bit. :)

Edited by Tumshie
spelling
  • Greenie 3

3 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

That's it for the year though, I'm only allowed to make 1 point per annum 

And a very good one it was too. I have upgraded your above post to a greenie.

2 minutes ago, Tumshie said:
38 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

If you Voldemort him back into existence then you're on you one with that one Beagle :glare:

It's not my fault!

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, DaveandDebby said:

Oy, that's ageist. Besides, I've been grumpy all my life. ?

• Haha 1