River Thames Moorings

Alan Wheeler

Featured Posts

Hi All,

We (the family), are moving our 60' narrow boat from Cropredy to Newbury soon. Can anyone recommend places to moor along the River Thames and whether it is advantageous to book/who with. We are planning to moor at Abingdon and Pangbourne, but appreciate this may need to change subject to moorings and availability. I note moorings are defined by the Vale of White House District Council in Abingdon.

We've been given plenty of advise, e.g. turn upstream to moor, take shears to cut back the overgrown bank at a mooring, all moorings along towpaths are 24 hours unless stated otherwise. However, as we are so used to the ease of mooring on the canals, the River Thames is a bit of an unknown, i.e. ease of mooring, private land, etc. We are ideally looking to moor near pubs and shops for provisions for the evening. The https://www.thamesvisitormoorings.co.uk/ doesn't allow to book moorings at locks.

Also, what are people's best guess at how long it will take from King's Lock to Kennet Mouth? I'm estimating two days.

Any help, advise and recommendations would be gratefully appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Goring would be my usual stop to do it in two days but depending what time you arrive there may not be space (ask the lockeeper at Cleeve) otherwise usually space below Whitchurch lock and easy access to Pangbourne. Otherwise stop earlier at Wallington if the moorings obove the bridge are full you can tie up below the bridge on left bank going downstream.

Also take some £5 notes handy, that is about the cheapest fee for moorings that expect you to pay. Some are mouth wateringly expensive at certain times of the year like around Henley but you won't be going that far. Even some moorings against a  grassy towpath extract money from you. There are free moorings in  you know were to look but the CM boats seem to take many of them up.