Shoreline freezer fan connections

fudd

Featured Posts

Good afternoon. 

I want to hook up a couple of 12v computer fans behind my fridge freezer to aid cooling. I read a while ago that they could be connected so the fans fun only when the fridge kicks in. If so, how do I connect them please. Thanks in advance. 

Hi

I have a CoolZone fridge freezer which is several years old and which looks remarkably like a current product badged as Shoreline. It has a Danfoss Compressor. I have the instructions for the electronic unit for the BD35/50F Compressors 101N0210, 101N0220 and 101N0300 in front of me. They describe the vertical terminal block labelled from top to bottom -,+,+,F,D,C,P,T. I have the instructions out because I was reconnecting the flashing led warning light (very useful). The instructions state that the optional fan should be connected between + (3rd terminal down) and F (4th terminal) and that the fan will cycle with the compressor.

This may or may not help. Obviously I accept no responsibility should things go wrong.

Best of luck.

I can check my shoreline manual tomorrow if that helps, but I think it is very much as the Bugsworth Tippler says, with a rather surprising common +ve terminal.

I installed two fans, and a ridiculous rotary switch that enables me to choose between no fans, fan A, fan B, or fans A and B. Some of my crew say the fan keeps them awake.  I also added a LED indicator light to show when the compressor is running, and second one (with the neg to one of the other terminals...) to repeat the low voltage warning light which is quite hard to spot in its current position.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

15 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I can check my shoreline manual tomorrow if that helps, but I think it is very much as the Bugsworth Tippler says, with a rather surprising common +ve terminal.

I installed two fans, and a ridiculous rotary switch that enables me to choose between no fans, fan A, fan B, or fans A and B. Some of my crew say the fan keeps them awake.  I also added a LED indicator light to show when the compressor is running, and second one (with the neg to one of the other terminals...) to repeat the low voltage warning light which is quite hard to spot in its current position.

That was one of the reasons my fans run 24/7 you tend to notice these things start and stop

16 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

Definitely worth wiring an old-fashioned wall-thermostat in series so the fan only runs when (a) the compressor is running g and (b) the temperature behind the fridge is above say 23-25 degrees (which rarely happens at night)

That’s what I’ve done. Works well. Put a switch in an accessible place to override if needed 

15 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

Definitely worth wiring an old-fashioned wall-thermostat in series so the fan only runs when (a) the compressor is running g and (b) the temperature behind the fridge is above say 23-25 degrees (which rarely happens at night)

Good idea!  I've got a switch that isolates the fan feed, which relies on me turning it on if it is getting hot.

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

If you remember and if you know how warm it is behind the fridge

Exactly!   I'll have to go through the garage and see if I can find a suitable thermostat.

On 18/08/2019 at 15:20, frangar said:

Just remember the “f” terminal is for the fan negative. Also there is a limit of 0.5A for the total current draw of the fans including any the fridge maker may have fitted. 

Half an Amp isn't much. Good plan to connect a relay and switch the fans through that then you can have as many fans as you like