Alvecote Historic Boat Gathering - "One Big Weekend"

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I have to say, you are doing a poor job as an ambassador for Hudson owners here Nick. 

As Alan points out, you seem to have no support from anyone, not even fellow Hudson owners. 

And as I pointed out, that is because this thread is about historic boats and for historic boat owners only. If you aren’t in the clique you aren’t welcome so it can hardly be surprising that no owners of normal boats are reading it and thus moved to support me (although there were one or two IIRC). Not of course that I want or need support, I was merely reporting two facts. The bluster, distortion and misquoting of what I said, personal attacks, denial and defensiveness says nothing about me and everything about the authors.

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Oh do get over yourself, this is clearly borrux! Lots of non-historic members here are reading this thread I bet. 

Anyone reading this thread who is NOT a historic owner can indicate their presence by greenying this post, should they feel so inclined....

Perhaps it should be “... who is not a historic owner nor wannabe historic owner” since there are bound to be a few acolytes.

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Oh do get over yourself, this is clearly borrux! Lots of non-historic members here are reading this thread I bet. 

Anyone reading this thread who is NOT a historic owner can indicate their presence by greenying this post, should they feel so inclined....

Sure are. But I’m not falling for that vain attempt to garner greenies.

I even once took my own pleasure craft to Alvecote and moored up with the regular folk on the towpath side to watch.

On balance I suspect Nick has intelligence enough to realise that groups with a niche interest can be a little self absorbed but it doesn’t follow that they are ignorant or have an image problem. It’s not like they’re contestants on Love Island (not that I’ve ever watched it).

Of course the really clued up boater buys a craft of genuine individuality and character and doesn’t need to get hung about these things.

JP

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm not a historic boat owner although my boat is nearly 20 years old whilst my car is a mere 14 years old so my boat feels pretty historic to me.

I'm reading this thread anyway, despite not being a wannabe historic owner.

I can't say I've noticed any difference in the likelihood of a greeting or not between historic and non-historic boats. I recently waved at someone on a historic boat, one called Reginald I believe, and he waved back.

Edited by Lily Rose

Just now, Lily Rose said:

I'm not a historic boat owner although my boat is nearly 20 years old whilst my car is a mere 14 years old so my boat feels pretty historic to me.

I'm reading this thread anyway.

I can't say I've noticed any difference in the likelihood of a greeting or not between historic and non-historic boats. I recently waved at someone on a historic boat, one called Reginald I believe, and he waved back.

I must have thought you were someone else, lolol!!

:giggles:

9 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

I recently waved at someone on a historic boat, one called Reginald I believe, and he waved back.

I really wouldn't do that.

I did it once, and he misread it as a signal that I wanted him to swerve off course and run into my boat head on, (which he did....)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Only kidding.

?

Me too.

And I also wave indiscriminately, or say hello, or even both, depending how the mood takes me. Unless, of course, I know their view on Br***t differs from mine. Then all bets are off.

Not true! I was kidding there as well.

Edited by Lily Rose

7 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I did it once, and he misread it as a signal that I wanted him to swerve off course and run into my boat head on, (which he did....)

I also spoke to someone on some old boat called Sickle, or it may have been Flamingo, when it went passed me moored somewhere South of Milton Keynes early last year. He didn't ignore me either.

Edited by Lily Rose

12 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Had you used the approved method of indicating your intentions i.e. sound signals instead of confusingly waving at me....

you would probbly have still hit me!!

:giggles:

• Haha 1

I am a non historic boat owner and I am reading this thread. I was supporting Nick at one stage but am now upset that it has become a Hudson bashing thread.

The only time that I have seen Nick's boat was funny enough when I was moored at Avecote a few years ago and the boat came past with someone on the helm who was more pre-occupied with their Ipad/Tablet that they had in their hand then they were at waving back at people.

Surely at the end of the day we all have similar interests (canals) and all want the same thing. The canoe forum that I also look at does not have the infighting that this forum always seems to have. Why ?

2 minutes ago, Tonka said:

The only time that I have seen Nick's boat was funny enough when I was moored at Avecote a few years ago and the boat came past with someone on the helm who was more pre-occupied with their Ipad/Tablet that they had in their hand then they were at waving back at people.

He was posting how miserable people are and how nobody waves at him .......

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tonka said:

I am a non historic boat owner and I am reading this thread. I was supporting Nick at one stage but am now upset that it has become a Hudson bashing thread.

But has it though? To me it looks like a one man crusade against Hudsons being conducted by Frangar, in much the same way as and probably in response to Nick conducting his one made crusade against historics.

Most of the other posts about Hudsons are merely fun-poking, and few or rather none of the fun-pokers are doing it maliciously. 

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

He was posting how miserable people are and how nobody waves at him .......

No I wasn’t. It is extraordinary how people on this thread have found it necessary to invent a whole lot of stuff that I said in order to make it more contentious and extreme.  Clearly my posting style is too mild, I will have to beef it up to keep people happy.

But that is the sad world of CWDF I suppose, full of people with nothing to do looking to be outraged. It was always thus.

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

No I wasn’t.

Agreed. You were posting about how someone else expressed an opinion to you that supported your own irrational anti-historic bias, IIRC. 

A bias coming about from self-denial of the slow realisation that you want one really, and buying the Hudson was a mistake. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

No I wasn’t. It is extraordinary how people on this thread have found it necessary to invent a whole lot of stuff that I said in order to make it more contentious and extreme.  Clearly my posting style is too mild, I will have to beef it up to keep people happy.

But that is the sad world of CWDF I s?uppose, full of people with nothing to do looking to be outraged. It was always thus.

Looks like your sense of humour has been left up North as well Nick.

Or should I have added a smiley so you knew...?

6 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

But that is the sad world of CWDF I suppose, full of people with nothing to do looking to be outraged. It was always thus.

Do you count yourself amongst those numbers, Nick?