Alvecote Historic Boat Gathering - "One Big Weekend"

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

But the difference is that Hudson owners don’t gather in large groups and routinely obstruct normal navigation and mooring.

At Alvecote all of the historic boats were moored either in the marina basin or along the offside of the marina frontage (as were some modern roving trader boats).  No towpath moorings were occupied by historic boats participating in the event. 

But there were a number of modern boats moored along the towpath opposite the marina and for a distance either side.  How inconsiderate of those modern boat owners to obstruct normal moorings!

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

When I rode a motorbike, I would nod to other bikers. 

When I sailed my dinghy, I would wave to other dinghy sailers.

When I rode my mountain bike I would smile at other mountain bikers. 

When out walking, I would greet other walkers with a cheerie hello.

When I steered my narrowboat I would give a big smile and wave.

Now, I am old a grumpy, I just ignore the whole bloody lot!

Too reasonable for a true grumpy

• Haha 1

Just now, tree monkey said:

See told you, a true grumpy would just mutter quietly to himself but to be fair that's level 5 grumpy, at best you're only level 2

Well, I am working on it. I am not yet 50, so hope to be up to level 3 in the not too distant future. 

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, David Mack said:

At Alvecote all of the historic boats were moored either in the marina basin or along the offside of the marina frontage (as were some modern roving trader boats).  No towpath moorings were occupied by historic boats participating in the event. 

But there were a number of modern boats moored along the towpath opposite the marina and for a distance either side.  How inconsiderate of those modern boat owners to obstruct normal moorings!

How about at Braunston?

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

They Basin ?

And Aylesbury this year. But these are private locations and have no impact on passing boats. You removed the AND from my post, thus changing the meaning.

Edited by nicknorman

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

And Aylesbury this year. But these are private locations and have no impact on passing boats. You removed the AND from my post, thus changing the meaning.

Hence the smiley, chill Nick I was trying to add some levity to a bad rumoured thread. ??

• Greenie 1

58 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I think you are missing the point. Well a couple, actually.

The first point being that I was reporting how the gathering at Alvecote had made a random boater feel. In my opinion a better reaction would be to consider how it might have happened and how it might be avoided next time, whereas In fact there has just been a wall of denial and defensiveness. For whatever reason historic boat owners as a general group, don’t have particularly good reputation for courtesy and friendliness. A generalisation of course as there are plenty who don’t fit the stereotype. Perhaps the group doesn’t care about having such a reputation, in which case I am of course wasting my time. It’s like a restaurant owner who, in the face of a negative trip advisor review, blames the customer.

The point about Python was not personal, just an example of how a minor (in)action can create a bad impression, disproportionate to the “crime”.

Secondly I think you are conflating not returning a basic acknowledgement such as a wave and a smile, with not recognising a known person and thus not offering more than the “standard stranger” interaction. I’m pretty sure we’ve only met once and that was on the towpath in Birmingham for about 30 secs in Sept 2013. The chances of me recognising you in 2019 are virtually nil, for the reasons I’ve explained.

I wonder if you recognised me, or the boat? The latter, I suspect. I’ve no idea what your boat looks like and I wasn’t even aware of it’s name. I see it is currently in your profile but I’m wondering at what point you added it?

Your first point has nothing to do with Python or her crew. You did not see the boat there and so cannot comment on how it was handled. If your point was not personal why make it personal by naming a specific boat unless you really do want to ensure that someone day is spoiled because they failed to smile at you? Some of our volunteers are very sensitive and we work hard at boosting their confidence. A comment like that could be all it took to put someone off volunteering in future. Have a think about that next time you find your paintwork perilously close to going through overhanging vegetation because that is what these volunteers do when they are not out raising money and the profile of the canal trust at events like Alvecote. Thankfully I know the steerer well enough to know he will probably have a good laugh about it over a beer tonight but others might take it differently 

I have not read all the other comments and whatever the route the discussion took I logged in to read that you were making a point about Python crew being miserable. 

On your second point it is you who is misunderstanding the point I am making.: You chose to single out the steerer of Python as somehow creating a bad image for historic boaters. The chap has never met you and yet you have decided he is miserable and unfriendly. If you choose to hold that opinion then nothing I type will change it. My point is that we have passed you twice this year and on both occasions we were blanked. Whether you recognised us or not makes no difference, the fact is that on two occasions a steerer on your boat has completely blanked the crew of a historic boat. 

Yes we recognised your boat, it is very distinctive and so is ours now. Our previous boat was very unremarkable and very similar to thousands of other semi-trad leisure boats out on the system. When we have passed you on that boat (at least twice from memory) we were greeted with a smile. Whether you had any clue about who it was you were smiling at we will never know but when we had a clone leisure boat we got a cheerful greeting. Now we have a historic boat we get blanked.  

You chose to make a point about being blanked by a specific boat on a specific occasion and yet crew on your boat have blanked us on two occasions without me feeling the necessity to name and shame on a public forum or suggest that all Hudson owners are miserable 

The name of our boat was updated on the forum on the day we picked up the boat. There has been much discussion about our acquisition of said boat on this forum but of course you have no interest in historic boats and so it is possibly beneath you to have delved into those posts in which case you wouldn't have a clue it was us on the boat. That really isn't a problem at all, at least it shouldn't be but if you choose to try and make a big public thing of being hurt by not getting a friendly smile from the Python team when you yourself don't bother making a cheery greeting to random owners of historic boats then you can expect it to come back and bite you on your bum. 

I sincerely hope that next time you happen to meet us. The Python team or for that matter, the owner of any other historic boat out on the cut you will get an appropriate greeting and it might save your fingers from all the typing 

• Greenie 2

24 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I reckon it was more hearsay than rumour. 

Bluddy autocorrect interfering again. I'm sure it waits until I reread, checked and posted before it changes things. ?

7 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Anyone else enjoy the "One Big Weekend"? 

Yeah, I took Mrs Hound, my eldest son & his wife and my three grandchildren on Sunday.

They all really enjoyed it (except the twins, when I asked Cheshire Rose if she could sell them to raise funds for the Chesterfield Canal Society). ?

Edited by cuthound
To insert spaces between merged posts

25 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

Your first point has nothing to do with Python or her crew. You did not see the boat there and so cannot comment on how it was handled. If your point was not personal why make it personal by naming a specific boat unless you really do want to ensure that someone day is spoiled because they failed to smile at you? Some of our volunteers are very sensitive and we work hard at boosting their confidence. A comment like that could be all it took to put someone off volunteering in future. Have a think about that next time you find your paintwork perilously close to going through overhanging vegetation because that is what these volunteers do when they are not out raising money and the profile of the canal trust at events like Alvecote. Thankfully I know the steerer well enough to know he will probably have a good laugh about it over a beer tonight but others might take it differently 

I have not read all the other comments and whatever the route the discussion took I logged in to read that you were making a point about Python crew being miserable. 

On your second point it is you who is misunderstanding the point I am making.: You chose to single out the steerer of Python as somehow creating a bad image for historic boaters. The chap has never met you and yet you have decided he is miserable and unfriendly. If you choose to hold that opinion then nothing I type will change it. My point is that we have passed you twice this year and on both occasions we were blanked. Whether you recognised us or not makes no difference, the fact is that on two occasions a steerer on your boat has completely blanked the crew of a historic boat. 

Yes we recognised your boat, it is very distinctive and so is ours now. Our previous boat was very unremarkable and very similar to thousands of other semi-trad leisure boats out on the system. When we have passed you on that boat (at least twice from memory) we were greeted with a smile. Whether you had any clue about who it was you were smiling at we will never know but when we had a clone leisure boat we got a cheerful greeting. Now we have a historic boat we get blanked.  

You chose to make a point about being blanked by a specific boat on a specific occasion and yet crew on your boat have blanked us on two occasions without me feeling the necessity to name and shame on a public forum or suggest that all Hudson owners are miserable 

The name of our boat was updated on the forum on the day we picked up the boat. There has been much discussion about our acquisition of said boat on this forum but of course you have no interest in historic boats and so it is possibly beneath you to have delved into those posts in which case you wouldn't have a clue it was us on the boat. That really isn't a problem at all, at least it shouldn't be but if you choose to try and make a big public thing of being hurt by not getting a friendly smile from the Python team when you yourself don't bother making a cheery greeting to random owners of historic boats then you can expect it to come back and bite you on your bum. 

I sincerely hope that next time you happen to meet us. The Python team or for that matter, the owner of any other historic boat out on the cut you will get an appropriate greeting and it might save your fingers from all the typing 

There’s clearly no point in continuing this discussion because you repeatedly misrepresent me. I do apologise for not saying what you wanted me to say and leaving you to have to invent it so as to fuel the outrage you are so obviously enjoying.

Edited by nicknorman

2 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

There’s clearly no point in continuing this discussion because you repeatedly misrepresent me. I do apologise for not saying what you wanted me to say and leaving you to have to invent it so as to fuel the outrage you are so obviously enjoying.

Perhaps you need to admit your continual griping about historic boats/proper engines etc is wearing very thin.

A lot of us find Hudson owners rather irritating....maybe we should mention this more often......

8 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Bluddy autocorrect interfering again. I'm sure it waits until I reread, checked and posted before it changes things. ?

Yeah, I took Mrs Hound, my eldest son & his wife and my three grandchildren on Sunday.

They all really enjoyed it (except the twins, when I asked Cheshire Rose if she could sell them to raise funds for the Chesterfield Canal Society). ?

You ruined my weekend by withdrawing the offer of donating them! Absolutely runied I tell ya! 

I was absolutely cock-a-hoop when I counted up the takings and realised that thanks to the generosity of the people who either donated high quality tat or parted with good money for high quality tat we had managed to raise a magnificent sum of £718.55.

If you had let me sell the twins I might have managed to top £720 :)

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, frangar said:

Perhaps you need to admit your continual griping about historic boats/proper engines etc is wearing very thin.

A lot of us find Hudson owners rather irritating....maybe we should mention this more often......

Yawn yawn. Perhaps you should look up the definition of the word “continual” - unless of course it is your intention to misrepresent as per the previous combatant?

1 hour ago, cheshire~rose said:

You ruined my weekend by withdrawing the offer of donating them! Absolutely runied I tell ya! 

I was absolutely cock-a-hoop when I counted up the takings and realised that thanks to the generosity of the people who either donated high quality tat or parted with good money for high quality tat we had managed to raise a magnificent sum of £718.55.

If you had let me sell the twins I might have managed to top £720 :)

I would have gone up to £60 squids for them, but then someone would have pipped me with 5 seconds to go

One of the more amusing aspect of Nick's involvement in this thread has been the huge wave of support he has elicited from large numbers of other owners of non-historic boats...

...Oh hang on - wait a minute....

Just now, alan_fincher said:

One of the more amusing aspect of Nick's involvement in this thread has been the huge wave of support he has elicited from large numbers of other owners of non-historic boats...

Now now Alan.  Don't forget the vociferous support of all the vollies on the network too!

5 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

MTB doesn't realise it but Reg is actually mine, I'm just letting him play

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Of course this could possibly be because large numbers of non-historic boat owners would never look at this thread. But probably you are right, I am just a pariah.

9 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Of course this could possibly be because large numbers of non-historic boat owners would never look at this thread. But probably you are right, I am just a pariah.

I have to say, you are doing a poor job as an ambassador for Hudson owners here Nick. 

As Alan points out, you seem to have no support from anyone, not even fellow Hudson owners.