Alvecote Historic Boat Gathering - "One Big Weekend"

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

I think the point is public . It pleases them, they enjoy it. Look at boats drink beer eat ice cream. Then we trundle off to enjoy boating.  Another stoney faced udson. Like audis today..

Ah yes, stoney-faced hudson steerers. Plenty of them about!!

59 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Maybe the blonde wig makes them feel uncomfortable! :icecream:

How do you know it's a wig?

59 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Maybe the blonde wig makes them feel uncomfortable! :icecream:

Edited by Mike Tee

6 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

I think the point is public . It pleases them, they enjoy it. Look at boats drink beer eat ice cream. Then we trundle off to enjoy boating.  Another stoney faced udson. Like audis today..

I think Hudson owners are very similar to Audi/BMW drivers...they all try a bit too hard....

A Hudson rally must be a tedious affair....imagine discussing how many welded washers you’d been fleeced for...I imagine it like one of the Two Ronnie’s golf club sketches....

3 minutes ago, frangar said:

A Hudson rally must be a tedious affair....imagine discussing how many welded washers you’d been fleeced for...I imagine it like one of the Two Ronnie’s golf club sketches....

I don't think that's how they go.

Far more of the conversation is likely to be about recruitment and retention of a suitable butler.

To be fair, (and for balance), I passed a very friendly bloke on a Hudson a couple of hours back.  Mind you his had no washers, so he is probably not allowed into these events.  He also seemed to like "Flamingo", so I guess that would seal it.

1 minute ago, alan_fincher said:

To be fair, (and for balance), I passed a very friendly bloke on a Hudson a couple of hours back.  Mind you his had no washers, so he is probably not allowed into these events.  He also seemed to like "Flamingo", so I guess that would seal it.

Well I guess every clique has exceptions...

1 minute ago, alan_fincher said:

Boatmover? :giggles:

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, frangar said:

I think Hudson owners are very similar to Audi/BMW drivers...they all try a bit too hard....

Your imagination is rather unimaginative.

32 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I don't think that's how they go.

Far more of the conversation is likely to be about recruitment and retention of a suitable butler.

Did you check for missing rivets after he had passed? ?

On 27/08/2019 at 16:40, nicknorman said:

I think you historic guys need to work on your image. We are returning from a big trip oop north and met a boat at Wychnor who had a bad experience going past Alvecote at the weekend. “I’ve never seen so many nasty rude people, tut tutting at us because we had a modern boat. And some of the helming was atrocious”.

Don’t shoot the messenger!

Just passed Python. Jeff (driving) waved and smiled but was completely blanked by the steerer. Now I know we all have bad days and maybe he was sad at leaving the festivities behind, but it doesn’t create a good impression!

A tad late to the party, but........

Put your axe away Nick.

It doesn't need any more grinding.

1 hour ago, cheshire~rose said:

It is oft said that none of us know what is happening in the mind and life of another boater and so we should not take any reaction personally. For your information the steerer that was on Python when she passed you is quite new and not yet completely comfortable with how the boat might react in shallow water when passing other boats so I suspect he was concentrating VERY hard on making sure he did not run aground which would have made the bow swing directly into your path. I will apologise on his behalf becauseI know him to be a really friendly chap and he would hate to have given the wrong impression. 

I find your comment quite odd though because within a few minutes of passing Python you also passed us and my enthusiastic smile as I recognised your boat was met with a head turned away and a blank stare. I realised that Jeff has not met us so put it down to unfamiliarity but it was you who was steering when we passed you earlier on in the summer and we got the same reaction from you then.  When we have passed each other on our previous boat you have been all smiles so I suspect that you do have an axe to grind with historic boat owners because we are the same people - it is just the boat that has changed!

I didn't feel the need to pass comment about it on the forum though. Perhaps it is just the hard working volunteers that deserve being moaned at for not smiling? 

It's amazing to think that because an inexperienced crew member was concentrating hard on trying to make sure he got things right a comment is made about him being unfriendly and yet nobody felt drawn to post about all the effort (and personal expense) that went in to create the Python into the spectacle that was ONLY boat to takepart in the illuminated boat parade. Smoke breathing snake and laser displays were greeted with a round of applause by the people along the towpath but our team juts gets a mention because a crew member didn't smile - frankly it makes me want to weep. 

I didn’t pass comment, I simply reported the fact that another boater felt alienated when passing Alvecote and that perhaps the historic gang should be aware of how their behaviour is seen by others. Historic boats passing without returning a smile and wave is another example. If you read my post I said that of course we dont know what is in the mind of any individual at any one time. However the effect on others is the same, regardless.

As to the smoke and lasers I’m sure it was lovely but we didn’t see it!

And as to Jeff not acknowledging you, obviously I can’t argue because I was inside, but I have never known him not to wave and smile when I’ve been on the back with him, so I do wonder if you missed his reaction or perhaps he acknowledged someone else on the boat but missed you. I’m just guessing of course.

Ditto me. Can you let me know where we passed without me smiling and waving at you? Again, it is not my normal behaviour and to be honest I’m sceptical. Although, having only met you once or twice “in the flesh” and many years ago, if the complaint is that I didn’t seem to recognise you then I can well accept that as I am very bad at remembering and recognising female faces. Just ask Jeff, I am always confusing females on the telly! My father was exactly the same, so I blame my genetics!

On 27/08/2019 at 16:40, nicknorman said:

I think you historic guys need to work on your image. We are returning from a big trip oop north and met a boat at Wychnor who had a bad experience going past Alvecote at the weekend. “I’ve never seen so many nasty rude people, tut tutting at us because we had a modern boat. And some of the helming was atrocious”.

Don’t shoot the messenger!

Just passed Python. Jeff (driving) waved and smiled but was completely blanked by the steerer. Now I know we all have bad days and maybe he was sad at leaving the festivities behind, but it doesn’t create a good impression!

Apparently this is not Passing comment? You mention a boat by name stating the steerer did not leave a good impression 

7 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I didn’t pass comment, I simply reported the fact that another boater felt alienated when passing Alvecote and that perhaps the historic gang should be aware of how their behaviour is seen by others. Historic boats passing without returning a smile and wave is another example. If you read my post I said that of course we dont know what is in the mind of any individual at any one time. However the effect on others is the same, regardless.

As to the smoke and lasers I’m sure it was lovely but we didn’t see it!

And as to Jeff not acknowledging you, obviously I can’t argue because I was inside, but I have never known him not to wave and smile when I’ve been on the back with him, so I do wonder if you missed his reaction or perhaps he acknowledged someone else on the boat but missed you. I’m just guessing of course.

Ditto me. Can you let me know where we passed without me smiling and waving at you? Again, it is not my normal behaviour and to be honest I’m sceptical. Although, having only met you once or twice “in the flesh” and many years ago, if the complaint is that I didn’t seem to recognise you then I can well accept that as I am very bad at remembering and recognising female faces. Just ask Jeff, I am always confusing females on the telly! My father was exactly the same, so I blame my genetics!

No of course you can't vouch for what Jeff did or didn't do, because you were inside the boat. Just as I can't vouch for what the steerer on Python did or didn't do. I can see it has touched a nerve to think that maybe I felt alientated a little by the fact that my friendly approach was ignored? Well sh*t happens and I didn't lose any sleep over it and certainly didn't feel any need to identify the boat that had blanked me on a public forum.  

It seems because I have suggested that you might be guilty of some double standards we now need an inquest. Really????

Well, we passed the other day somewhere around Bears Hay from memory but it may have been a little earlier or a little later, we were travelling with Python, they got behind us when our inexperienced steerer moved across a little too far for an oncoming boat and ended up aground, it was a steep learning curve for him that day and so hence the fact I have a good idea of how he may have been focusing so hard on getting it right when you passed. I have spoken to him just now and he does not recall your boat but then why would he? We have passed a LOT of boats since Alvecote. You would have passed us a few minutes before passing Python so you will be as well placed as me to remember where it was as you are very obviously still hurt at being alientated by the steerer of a historic boat. I took the helm at some point around there and I am struggling to remember whether I was steering with Dave standing next to me or vice versa, I recognised your boat and said to Dave oh look it is Telemachus again and we both smiled and I know I waved and then felt foolish because I realised it was not you steering and so the poor chap probably thought I was a bit odd being so friendly when he didn't have a clue who I was. 

With regard to the earlier meeting I can possibly pin it down with a bit of detective work but I will say it was either on the Bridgewater or The L&L - possibly around Leigh or Pennington Flash way. 

It is interesting that because we have only met a couple of times and you are not great at remembering female faces that would be a good reason not to have acknowledged us and yet Python's steerer has never met you before in his life and yet you feel alienated because he did not respond to your greeting. How does that work then? 

• Greenie 2

Well I’m sure Nick got the reaction he was seeking. We acknowledge the helms of most boats as we cross. Most acknowledge some don’t. We’ve met some ignorant or unfriendly owners of old boats , private boats and hire boats. That’s life and it’s too short so I prefer to  get on with living it.

54 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

Apparently this is not Passing comment? You mention a boat by name stating the steerer did not leave a good impression 

No of course you can't vouch for what Jeff did or didn't do, because you were inside the boat. Just as I can't vouch for what the steerer on Python did or didn't do. I can see it has touched a nerve to think that maybe I felt alientated a little by the fact that my friendly approach was ignored? Well sh*t happens and I didn't lose any sleep over it and certainly didn't feel any need to identify the boat that had blanked me on a public forum.  

It seems because I have suggested that you might be guilty of some double standards we now need an inquest. Really????

Well, we passed the other day somewhere around Bears Hay from memory but it may have been a little earlier or a little later, we were travelling with Python, they got behind us when our inexperienced steerer moved across a little too far for an oncoming boat and ended up aground, it was a steep learning curve for him that day and so hence the fact I have a good idea of how he may have been focusing so hard on getting it right when you passed. I have spoken to him just now and he does not recall your boat but then why would he? We have passed a LOT of boats since Alvecote. You would have passed us a few minutes before passing Python so you will be as well placed as me to remember where it was as you are very obviously still hurt at being alientated by the steerer of a historic boat. I took the helm at some point around there and I am struggling to remember whether I was steering with Dave standing next to me or vice versa, I recognised your boat and said to Dave oh look it is Telemachus again and we both smiled and I know I waved and then felt foolish because I realised it was not you steering and so the poor chap probably thought I was a bit odd being so friendly when he didn't have a clue who I was. 

With regard to the earlier meeting I can possibly pin it down with a bit of detective work but I will say it was either on the Bridgewater or The L&L - possibly around Leigh or Pennington Flash way. 

It is interesting that because we have only met a couple of times and you are not great at remembering female faces that would be a good reason not to have acknowledged us and yet Python's steerer has never met you before in his life and yet you feel alienated because he did not respond to your greeting. How does that work then? 

I think you are missing the point. Well a couple, actually.

The first point being that I was reporting how the gathering at Alvecote had made a random boater feel. In my opinion a better reaction would be to consider how it might have happened and how it might be avoided next time, whereas In fact there has just been a wall of denial and defensiveness. For whatever reason historic boat owners as a general group, don’t have particularly good reputation for courtesy and friendliness. A generalisation of course as there are plenty who don’t fit the stereotype. Perhaps the group doesn’t care about having such a reputation, in which case I am of course wasting my time. It’s like a restaurant owner who, in the face of a negative trip advisor review, blames the customer.

The point about Python was not personal, just an example of how a minor (in)action can create a bad impression, disproportionate to the “crime”.

Secondly I think you are conflating not returning a basic acknowledgement such as a wave and a smile, with not recognising a known person and thus not offering more than the “standard stranger” interaction. I’m pretty sure we’ve only met once and that was on the towpath in Birmingham for about 30 secs in Sept 2013. The chances of me recognising you in 2019 are virtually nil, for the reasons I’ve explained.

I wonder if you recognised me, or the boat? The latter, I suspect. I’ve no idea what your boat looks like and I wasn’t even aware of it’s name. I see it is currently in your profile but I’m wondering at what point you added it?

Edited by nicknorman

24 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

For whatever reason historic boat owners as a general group, don’t have particularly good reputation for courtesy and friendliness.

Much the same as Hudson owners as a general group, I'd say.

If ever there disdain for the ethos of the other group, I'd say it is developing between Hudson and historic owners. It probably explains why you sometimes get blanked by historic steerers, and historic steerers sometimes the same from Hudson steerers.

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Much the same as Hudson owners as a general group, I'd say.

If ever there disdain for the ethos of the other group, I'd say it is developing between Hudson and historic owners. It probably explains why you sometimes get blanked by historic steerers, and historic steerers sometimes the same from Hudson steerers.

But the difference is that Hudson owners don’t gather in large groups and routinely obstruct normal navigation and mooring.

When I rode a motorbike, I would nod to other bikers. 

When I sailed my dinghy, I would wave to other dinghy sailers.

When I rode my mountain bike I would smile at other mountain bikers. 

When out walking, I would greet other walkers with a cheerie hello.

When I steered my narrowboat I would give a big smile and wave.

Now, I am old a grumpy, I just ignore the whole bloody lot!

• Greenie 1