Alvecote Historic Boat Gathering - "One Big Weekend"

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

36 minutes ago, frangar said:

I’m going to start moaning on here every time some arse in a Hudson annoys me....I’m thinking it might end up longer than the brexit thread...oh and those with Kew Gardens on the roof....or fenders down.....

Ah but in your nativity you are confusing a brand of boat with a style of boat. Too complicated a concept I suspect. Bless.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Ah but in your nativity you are confusing a brand of boat with a style of boat. Too complicated a concept I suspect. Bless.

I have to agree with you....Hudson’s obviously don’t have any style....unless you like curled up slippers I guess. 

I started this thread based on a random comment from a passing boater at a lock. My report of it is entirely genuine, and it was entirely unprovoked by me.

If I’d received such a report about me, I’d pause to wonder what I’d done to create that bad impression, and what I might do differently to avoid leaving a random stranger with such a bad impression in future.

To be honest I was pretty sure of the reaction I would get from the historic boat club clique - denial, defensiveness, smokescreen and mostly, personal attacks. Certainly no possibility that there could be any reasonable grounds for the dispassionate impression.

It is reassuring to find that I have not been disappointed. If a bit sad.

37 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Alan Fincher started this thread. 

Oh yes you are so right! I am overburdened with a sense of my own importance.

What I meant was “I started this branch if this thread...”. Or maybe just “I posted on this thread...”. Yes, I think the latter is the best.

7 hours ago, Phil. said:

Envy is such an ugly trait.......you should seek help.

That’s the funniest thing I’ve heard in ages...I wouldn’t want one if I was paid to take it....tbh I’d rather have a springer...at least they are honest boats. 

7 hours ago, nicknorman said:

I started this thread based on a random comment from a passing boater at a lock. My report of it is entirely genuine, and it was entirely unprovoked by me.

If I’d received such a report about me, I’d pause to wonder what I’d done to create that bad impression, and what I might do differently to avoid leaving a random stranger with such a bad impression in future.

To be honest I was pretty sure of the reaction I would get from the historic boat club clique - denial, defensiveness, smokescreen and mostly, personal attacks. Certainly no possibility that there could be any reasonable grounds for the dispassionate impression.

You really do need to get over yourself nick...you seem to think others....including non historic boat owners like myself...think you have made a valid point....you haven’t! 

• Greenie 2

8 hours ago, nicknorman said:

And if you had not met the person who's words you reported, but had instead met "Mrs Shouty" who's story I told earlier on, I bet you would have reported it in just the same manner.

Your reporting of what was said to you, is, I have no reason to doubt "entirely genuine", but that in no way makes the story itself "entirely genuine", or in any way a reflection of the event being discussed.

I'm pretty certain you are educated enough to be familiar with the term "confirmation bias", but just in case  you are not, please look it up.  It sums up perfectly the situation that exists between you and those who own historic craft.

• Greenie 2

16 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

And if you had not met the person who's words you reported, but had instead met "Mrs Shouty" who's story I told earlier on, I bet you would have reported it in just the same manner.

Your reporting of what was said to you, is, I have no reason to doubt "entirely genuine", but that in no way makes the story itself "entirely genuine", or in any way a reflection of the event being discussed.

I'm pretty certain you are educated enough to be familiar with the term "confirmation bias", but just in case  you are not, please look it up.  It sums up perfectly the situation that exists between you and those who own historic craft.

Yes I am familiar with “confirmation bias”. But in order to be affected by that, one first has to have a bias. And that bias would normally arise out of some previous experiences, not out of thin air.

Had we met someone who said “We passed through Alvecote at the weekend and everyone was really friendly and made us feel included” then we don’t know if I would have posted that. But it’s unlikely ever to be put to the test.

I am sure Mrs Shouty was a pain, but set set against that you could perhaps look at the situation from an outsider’s point of view. It’s a public bit of canal, not reserved for the specific use of any group or gathering, and therefore I suggest the onus is on that group to ensure that their activities don’t disrupt the normal operation of the canal (emergency CPR excepted of course) and annoy people passing through.

Of course some people will be pleased to see a gathering of brightly painted historic boats and won’t mind a bit of disruption. Others will find the parading of museum pieces and their red-hanky-wearing owners slightly tedious and might resent them blocking of normal progress on that bit of canal. Or somewhere in between. My point is that perhaps your group should remember that not everyone thinks you are the bees knees.

As for my bias, my reception on this thread has done nothing to dispel it and everything to confirm it.

12 hours ago, matty40s said:

I heard from a friend of mine that went shopping near Tamworth over the weekend. He said the shopkeepers daughter had been walking the dog along the path and someone on a boat had looked piercingly at the sign she was walking towards, and then slowed to the same pace she was walking. 

She felt intimidated and scared, the dog has had to go to the vets for innoculations , and she has arranged counselling.

The sign said Tickover Or Else.

She was almost hysteric....

Well, no wonder. Her name was Elspeth and she felt persecuted.

A curious thing is when I am steering my historic, other historics I encounter quite often blank me, so I can understand why modern owners feel historics are a bit insular towards them. 

But this illustrates it is not the historics being snooty towards moderns because I am not on a modern, something else must be going going on.

I suppose it could be that my historic is the wrong sort of historic....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

Yes I am familiar with “confirmation bias”. But in order to be affected by that, one first has to have a bias. And that bias would normally arise out of some previous experiences, not out of thin air.

Had we met someone who said “We passed through Alvecote at the weekend and everyone was really friendly and made us feel included” then we don’t know if I would have posted that. But it’s unlikely ever to be put to the test.

I am sure Mrs Shouty was a pain, but set set against that you could perhaps look at the situation from an outsider’s point of view. It’s a public bit of canal, not reserved for the specific use of any group or gathering, and therefore I suggest the onus is on that group to ensure that their activities don’t disrupt the normal operation of the canal (emergency CPR excepted of course) and annoy people passing through.

Of course some people will be pleased to see a gathering of brightly painted historic boats and won’t mind a bit of disruption. Others will find the parading of museum pieces and their red-hanky-wearing owners slightly tedious and might resent them blocking of normal progress on that bit of canal. Or somewhere in between. My point is that perhaps your group should remember that not everyone thinks you are the bees knees.

As for my bias, my reception on this thread has done nothing to dispel it and everything to confirm it.

Unfortunately Nick you have to ask yourself what would have happened if this was a Hudson parade of boats and a historic boater had made the comment that you made, would your behaviour be similar to the what the historic lot are saying. What would have happened if the boat that I talked about in Calcutt Top Lock had been a Hudson and that I stated it was a Hudson, the historic lot would be telling me to name and shame but because it was a historic boat they are ignoring it and even going as far to say the boats waiting to come down should have come and operated the lock. You get cliques in all sorts of life and the canal has them as well. When I had a working boat with a PD2 I was not accepted by the historic loat because it was a welded boat and not riveted. Or perhaps it was me as a person that was not accepted which could be MTB's problem that he alludes to in post 92. 

24 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

A curious thing is when I am steering my historic, other historics I encounter quite often blank me, so I can understand why modern owners feel historics are a bit insular towards them. 

But this illustrates it is not the historics being snooty towards moderns because I am not on a modern, something else must be going going on.

We didnt ignore you on saturday night and you were associating with an ex modern boat builder...

Maybe he was deaf

Maybe he was a foreigner and spoke no english (won't happen after Brexit)

Maybe he was both

Maybe you frightened him

Maybe HE had just been ignored by loads of historic boats

the list is endless...................

52 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Maybe the blonde wig makes them feel uncomfortable! :icecream:

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Unfortunately Nick you have to ask yourself what would have happened if this was a Hudson parade of boats and a historic boater had made the comment that you made, would your behaviour be similar to the what the historic lot are saying. What would have happened if the boat that I talked about in Calcutt Top Lock had been a Hudson and that I stated it was a Hudson, the historic lot would be telling me to name and shame but because it was a historic boat they are ignoring it and even going as far to say the boats waiting to come down should have come and operated the lock. You get cliques in all sorts of life and the canal has them as well. When I had a working boat with a PD2 I was not accepted by the historic loat because it was a welded boat and not riveted. Or perhaps it was me as a person that was not accepted which could be MTB's problem that he alludes to in post 92. 

Hudson owners don’t think they are so important as to feel entitled to a public parade. There is a Hudson owner’s meet up every year. Previously this has always been in Glascote basin but this year Sarah really didn’t have the room and so it was held in a different private basin. No non-participating boats were impeded or sneered at in the process!