Alvecote Historic Boat Gathering - "One Big Weekend"

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

If there is anyone attending who can collect something from me and deliver to Dave_P in Hawne Basin before the end of October can you please get in touch?

Thanks

I can do that for you - He will be at the BCBF I guess and if not I can leave it in the office at Hawne.

17 minutes ago, Athy said:

We hope to attend on Saturday or Sunday, but as bloody tourists, not with the boat, as Mrs. Athy's work schedule doesn't allow us to get there by water.

Reported. 

Please mind your language Mr Athy. This is a family forum. 

14 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Reported. 

Please mind your language Mr Athy. This is a family forum. 

I would reply at greater length but I have a lot of work to get on with this morning.

42 minutes ago, Capt Ahab said:

I can do that for you - He will be at the BCBF I guess and if not I can leave it in the office at Hawne.

That's super thank you! He may be attending in person to pick it up but if I don't hand it to you by the end of the weekend please don't assume he has done so as I may have just forgotten it and need a poke to remind me :)

36 minutes ago, Athy said:

We hope to attend on Saturday or Sunday, but as bloody tourists, not with the boat, as Mrs. Athy's work schedule doesn't allow us to get there by water.

That is wonderful, you may wish to peruse Auntie Wainwright's stall where, among other delightful goods, I will have for sale a rather fetching and useful hand whisk which may interest you

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

That's super thank you! He may be attending in person to pick it up but if I don't hand it to you by the end of the weekend please don't assume he has done so as I may have just forgotten it and need a poke to remind me :)

That is wonderful, you may wish to peruse Auntie Wainwright's stall where, among other delightful goods, I will have for sale a rather fetching and useful hand whisk which may interest you

Who's a cheeky girl then?

On 17/08/2019 at 22:39, alan_fincher said:

We hope to take both boats to this event, our favourite of the historic boating calendar.  (I say "we hope", because unfortunate family happenings have caused us to have to pull out at the last minute, a couple of years back).

Well that went well - NOT!

Having set of with "Sickle" and "Flamingo" Cath was not happy that "Sickle's" gearbox was behaving as it should be.  A bit of poking around, followed by a "phone a friend" led us to conclude that we really didn't have time to investigate properly, and we did not want to risk it, and make things worse if there was a problem.

So we have reluctantly taken "Sickle" back to base, and are now carrying on with just "Flamingo" - a great shame, as "Sickle" is now very smart, and "Flamingo" currently anything but smart.

Then I suffered a "dental malfunction" that caused me to have to find an emergency dentist - blimey - they know how to charge!

Still we are now back on schedule albeit with one boat.

Mike the Boilerman is still in front of us though....

... Currently about 6 feet in front of us!

1 minute ago, alan_fincher said:

Mike the Boilerman is still in front of us though....

... Currently about 6 feet in front of us!

Not good to hear, Sickle deserves to be looked at in its present uniform.

Knowing Mike the Boilerman and his bote , he could be 6 feet in front and 18 inches lower than you in the morning....

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

MTB, Ey up what is this from Facebook?

"Underway 10 mins, grounded, towed off by a modern boat. THE SHAME." 1f603.png

Not good form Ray, to post stuff in public from an individual's personal Facebook page.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

On ‎18‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 14:09, pete harrison said:

I am working 12 hour night shifts on Friday and Saturday so it is unlikely I will be attending, unless I can be convinced that it is worth coming for the Bank Holiday Monday.

As it stands I have never been to an Alvecote event :captain:

What a jolly nice day out that was yesterday, so good I did not leave until 22:00 (for the 3 hour drive home !). 

It is always good to see friends, both new and old - and once again a special thanks to CHERTSEY for the hospitality :captain:

I think you historic guys need to work on your image. We are returning from a big trip oop north and met a boat at Wychnor who had a bad experience going past Alvecote at the weekend. “I’ve never seen so many nasty rude people, tut tutting at us because we had a modern boat. And some of the helming was atrocious”.

Don’t shoot the messenger!

Just passed Python. Jeff (driving) waved and smiled but was completely blanked by the steerer. Now I know we all have bad days and maybe he was sad at leaving the festivities behind, but it doesn’t create a good impression!

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I think you historic guys need to work on your image. We are returning from a big trip oop north and met a boat at Wychnor who had a bad experience going past Alvecote at the weekend. “I’ve never seen so many nasty rude people, tut tutting at us because we had a modern boat. And some of the helming was atrocious”.

Perhaps the chap you met was a grump himself. I was there at Alvecote and didn't see any tut tutting of modern boats.

As with any boat rally or gathering, there was a certain amount of congestion when things were happening on the water, and some passing boats were asked to hold back for a few minutes while another boat was manoeuvring. The passing boaters I saw took this in good spirit, some of them enjoying a little light hearted banter with the chap on the P.A. and most were publicly thanked for their patience and wished a good trip.

Unfortunately there was a medical emergency on a moving historic boat during the proceedings. As soon as it became clear something was up all boats were asked to stop moving while the boat involved was brought to the side and the casualty carried to the bank so emergency treatment could be given.  Perhaps the boater you met was the one who insisted on forcing a passage through at the height of the situation, despite requests over the PA and the crowd that he wait for a few minutes.

• Greenie 3

5 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Perhaps the chap you met was a grump himself. I was there at Alvecote and didn't see any tut tutting of modern boats.

As with any boat rally or gathering, there was a certain amount of congestion when things were happening on the water, and some passing boats were asked to hold back for a few minutes while another boat was manoeuvring. The passing boaters I saw took this in good spirit, some of them enjoying a little light hearted banter with the chap on the P.A. and most were publicly thanked for their patience and wished a good trip.

Unfortunately there was a medical emergency on a moving historic boat during the proceedings. As soon as it became clear something was up all boats were asked to stop moving while the boat involved was brought to the side and the casualty carried to the bank so emergency treatment could be given.  Perhaps the boater you met was the one who insisted on forcing a passage through at the height of the situation, despite requests over the PA and the crowd that he wait for a few minutes.

No idea, he didn’t mention anything about being asked to stop. But good to see denial in full swing!

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

Not denial.  Just telling it as I saw it. I was there, you weren't. 

My opinion isn’t relevant, i am reporting the opinion of someone who was there. And of course when you say “there”, that is just a general thing. You weren’t in the specific place at the specific time, seeing the specific interactions, as this person was.