Flashing red traffic light

Tonksy

Featured Posts

Sort of flood lights on the Soar, Traffic lights on the Kennet at Reading,   Give us a clue what you are talking about please???? :)

...and railway signals on the Weaver

.............Dave

The Nicholson Guide states a flashing red light means it’s unsafe for navigation. 

Specifically Lemonroyd Lock currently has one. It’s not listed as a stoppage on CRT’s website tho

D7DD5AA3-4479-40EA-94CF-C17F5CA73EFC.jpeg

Edited by Tonksy
Added further detail

Aaaaah, now it makes sense. Its not a stoppage due to malfunction, just a normal thing that happens on rivers - floods (or high flow, etc). They go out once its no longer a hazard. I think you'd have a job convincing your insurance company if you went on a red, because you thought they might not update them until Monday and it "looked safe".

The system at the Glory Hole in Lincoln was quite entertaining, going downstream you can't see the notice that explains the difference between red  and flashing red until it is too late to stop. The sluice at Stamp End was also behaving rather oddly in June, we had 10 mins of flashing red and a strong current, and then about 30 of no current, green light, and the water level coming back up. Repeat. 

dsc_3812.jpg.24009437a2bce28028b1e8619b438a67.jpg

3 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

The system at the Glory Hole in Lincoln was quite entertaining, going downstream you can't see the notice that explains the difference between red  and flashing red until it is too late to stop. The sluice at Stamp End was also behaving rather oddly in June, we had 10 mins of flashing red and a strong current, and then about 30 of no current, green light, and the water level coming back up. Repeat. 

dsc_3812.jpg.24009437a2bce28028b1e8619b438a67.jpg

Both the lock and the sluice are due some TLC soon (the lock this coming winter - I don;t know when for the sluice, possibly winter is not the best time.) Maybe when that's done they'll make the lights a bit more self-explanatory and conventional - maybe red, amber, green?

MP.

10 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Both the lock and the sluice are due some TLC soon (the lock this coming winter - I don;t know when for the sluice, possibly winter is not the best time.) Maybe when that's done they'll make the lights a bit more self-explanatory and conventional - maybe red, amber, green?

MP.

Good to know.  I am slightly red green colour blind,  but can normally manage traffic lights....

10 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

MP.

Good to know.  I am slightly red green colour blind,  but can normally manage traffic lights....

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

To add to the fun, on the Severn and the G&S flashing red means the lockie or bridgekeeper is aware you are there but do not proceed ...

I wish someone had told me that when we went down to Sharpness.  Almost tried to beat a large coaster to the bridge.

3 hours ago, Chris Williams said:

I wish someone had told me that when we went down to Sharpness.  Almost tried to beat a large coaster to the bridge.

and on the tidal Thames a flashing white light means don't go through that arch, as something big has priority ...

dsc_5258.jpg

4 hours ago, Chris Williams said:

45 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

and on the tidal Thames a flashing white light means don't go through that arch, as something big has priority ...

dsc_5258.jpg

If they are big enough it wouldn't matter if you beat them to the bridge or not ...

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

If they are big enough it wouldn't matter if you beat them to the bridge or not ...

Indeed. This was an interesting and unusual maneuver, as we were heading downstream with the tide, but had to give way to the inbound boat that was going flat out (normally the barges go with the tide).

Of course it's quite hard to stop in these circumstances, so we just drifted for a bit and that gave the inbound tug enough time to clear the arch so we could use it. If necessary we would have turned around to starboard to stem the tide.

• 4 years later...
22 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

So, presumably a flashing red light at Castleford flood lock means don't lock up onto the river because it is in

flood?

Yes lock is closed due to high river levels, you wont be able to pass until re opened by CaRT
But since it was yesterday your either through or still at Castleford.

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

They are automated, check the board visually but most importantly visually check the flow. The boards and lights don't match up that well. The lock will still let you pen through.

• Greenie 1