I can't get the horn

blackrose

Featured Posts

On 18/08/2019 at 17:42, BWM said:

Automotive ones should be as good as any sold for marine purposes, Volvo ones are amongst the loudest and very reliable. Can pick them up cheaply second hand. 

I agree. The environment that car horns have to work in is at least as harsh as salt water marine and they seem to last much longer. Heat, cold, moisture, road salt. I  originally fitted a "marine" horn to my boat and it died in only a year or so. After that I bought a hand held thing a bit like a harking horn. Very loud. This is still my first choice as it is easy and quick to pick up and wind when I'm cruising. On my semi-trad boat, the horn button is several feet from the steering position, so if the horn needs sounding I am usually having to do some emergency steering and morse lever control too, leaving no time and spare hands to reach the horn button.

The tunnel keepers at Harecastle wouldn't let me through with just that, so they lent me an air horn for the trip. Their objection was that if I was overcome by diesel fumes in the tunnel, then I couldn't blow the horn to summon help.

After that I bought the cheapest Halfords car horn and mounted it under the gunnel in the front well deck. This has lasted many years and still works. The problem is that it sounds like a car horn, not a boat, so boaters tend to ignore it. Not a problem with the harking horn.

Jen

Regarding fixing your horn, I seem to remember that when I took my two horns to bits a year or two ago (they had both stopped sounding) I found inside, adjuster screws that affected the way the electro mechanical bit worked. A Twist or two of the screws (experiment with direction) and both were once again working. One has failed again so I'll be having it apart soon - I can't quite remember how/where the screw bit was but I'm sure it is fairly obvious.