I can't get the horn

blackrose

Featured Posts

About 3 months ago I replaced my horn. It wasn't working and when I took it apart it was pretty rusty inside. I replaced it with a marine grade one (whatever that means), cleaned up the contacts under the rocker switch at the helm and it worked fine. But now it's not working again. 

It's just a fairly cheap electromagnetic horn which is fed by the BT batteries at the bow and switched via a relay through the original undersized cables which run the length of the boat. The horn itself is quite exposed so I'm wondering if it's full of water even though it's facing down? I'll check it tomorrow morning. The relay is under the gunwale so it shouldn't get wet but maybe the contacts are corroded. How long are relays supposed to last? It's probably 10 years old. I'm off on a cruise at the moment so wondering where to get a spare. Do Halfrauds sell them?

Edited by blackrose

Italian drivers understand that horns,  like many other characteristics,  are best if exercised reguarly. Driving in Rome demonstrates that the shortest possible  measurable interval of time is that between a traffic light changing and the driver four back in the queue exercising their horn.

Once your horn is functional again I suggest you toot it frequently  so it remains functional.  If the hooter itself is at fault get one off a FIAT.

N

• Haha 1

I managed to find a spare relay in my electrical box of tricks, but no idea if it's suitable or how to connect it. The old one was badly corroded and one of the terminals snapped off as I was trying to remove it. It has no legible markings so I'm not sure how I managed to wire it up in the first place. 

I've connected the new one just by using the previous terminal positions - horizonal or vertical but maybe I've got that wrong. I'm just getting a weak horn sound now so perhaps the relay isn't coming into play or perhaps it's not a suitable relay? Second and third pictures are the new relay. The old relay has no markings apart from what's shown in the picture.

Edit: looking at the tiny raised numbers in the black plastic it looks like I have got the connections the right way around. They all tally with how I had it connected perviously.

There was a spider inside the horn and I pulled a small nest out with a screwdriver this morning but I can't get the thing apart to see if there's any more inside.

IMG_20190818_110137_5.jpg

IMG_20190818_110158_8.jpg

IMG_20190818_110204_0.jpg

Edited by blackrose

Having had similar issues with my horn I replacedc t with one of these.

https://seamarknunn.com/acatalog/ecoblast-air-horn-pump-1649.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw7uPqBRBlEiwAYDsr10O4f_vEo6-LNFTy5axUuVJe8Q1mtWHjWlsH9KrycWPvdpkZGM-nSRoCeZkQAvD_BwE

No one fails to hear my boat now ?

You can now get cheaper "one shot" versions. Handy in case your electric horn fails.

https://www.thesafetysupplycompany.co.uk/p/8668671/hand-operated-air-horn----each-squeeze-of-the-plunger-will-blow-the-horn-once---hs-phe1.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw7uPqBRBlEiwAYDsr16S3u_OhuA4l_xzA2M0_eP4NQp5p6OkZ1FjyJYKfkTHQsMOsSAtzBRoCdegQAvD_BwE

Edited by cuthound
To remove a letter masquerading as a space

2 minutes ago, cuthound said:

You can now get cheaper "one shot" versions. Handy in case your electric horn fails.

having gone through the same process I arrived at the same conclusion.

keep a spare in the cupboard - cheap and reliable, not that I need to use it much.

7 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Having had similar issues with my horn I replacedc t with one of these.

https://seamarknunn.com/acatalog/ecoblast-air-horn-pump-1649.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw7uPqBRBlEiwAYDsr10O4f_vEo6-LNFTy5axUuVJe8Q1mtWHjWlsH9KrycWPvdpkZGM-nSRoCeZkQAvD_BwE

No one fails to hear my boat now ?

I had thought about one of these but never seen a rechargeable version before. Do you just pump it up by hand? Does it come with the pump?

Edited by blackrose

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

I had thought about one of these but never seen a rechargeable version before. Do you just pump it up by hand? Does it come with the pump?

The Ecohorn comes with a kind of miniature bike pump. Once fully pumped it apparently last for 60 short blasts. I pump mine up at the start of every trip. That way it only needs a couple of pumps, rather than lots and you know it will work when you need it.

Edited by cuthound
To remove a letter masquerading as a space

10 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

Why do you need a relay?  I had a Lucas Windtone off an old lorry and just wired it (using heavy cable) into the horn button and earth.

Perhaps you didn't read my original post properly? The original cables are undersized. For me to put new heavier cables in from stern to bow would be a major job. So I use the existing cables to switch a relay and take the power feed from the BT batteries. That's why I need a relay. It used to work very well.

Edited by blackrose

6 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Perhaps you didn't read my original post properly? The original cables are undersized. For me to put new heavier cables in from stern to bow would be a major job. So I use the existing cables to switch a relay and take the power feed from the BT batteries. That's why I need a relay. It used to work very well.

Why not move the horn nearer to the steering position and use new cables?  It doesn't need to be at the bows, mine was on the front of the engine 'ole.

5 hours ago, Chris Williams said:

Why not move the horn nearer to the steering position and use new cables?  It doesn't need to be at the bows, mine was on the front of the engine 'ole.

Yes I could do that I suppose. But the right place for a horn is at the bow and finding somewhere to put it at the stern where it's facing forward without it being in the way or a trip hazard on the roof is difficult. I'm single handed so need to avoid roof clutter as I climbing up and down all the time. I'd really rather it was at the bow where it should be.

21 hours ago, blackrose said:

Yes I could do that I suppose. But the right place for a horn is at the bow and finding somewhere to put it at the stern where it's facing forward without it being in the way or a trip hazard on the roof is difficult. I'm single handed so need to avoid roof clutter as I climbing up and down all the time. I'd really rather it was at the bow where it should be.

Besides, wherever you put it it’ll be better fed through a relay. That’s why cars do it that way. 

4 hours ago, Chris Williams said:

Which regulation says this.  Horse boaters used a trumpet or the whip.  At the stern.

Which of my posts mentioned that a horn should be at the bow due to any regulation?

I don't care where horse boaters put their trumpets. They didn't have electric horns and so weren't able to put them at the bow and operate them from the stem. If they had been able to I'm sure they would have done. If you did everything that horse boaters did you'd have a horse and not an engine.

Assuming everything works properly then for maximum efficacy a horn should obviously be at the bow, it's as simple as that. You may locate your horn wherever you wish on your boat but mine is going to be at the bow because that's where I want it. It's out of the way at the bow and I really don't need roof clutter at the stern.

Anyway it started working again yesterday for some reason. I guess the horn itself isn't that great and needed coaxing into life again. I'll buy a better one after this trip.

Edited by blackrose

16 hours ago, blackrose said:

Which of my posts mentioned that a horn should be at the bow due to any regulation?

I don't care where horse boaters put their trumpets. They didn't have electric horns and so weren't able to put them at the bow and operate them from the stem. If they had been able to I'm sure they would have done. If you did everything that horse boaters did you'd have a horse and not an engine.

Assuming everything works properly then for maximum efficacy a horn should obviously be at the bow, it's as simple as that. You may locate your horn wherever you wish on your boat but mine is going to be at the bow because that's where I want it. It's out of the way at the bow and I really don't need roof clutter at the stern.

Anyway it started working again yesterday for some reason. I guess the horn itself isn't that great and needed coaxing into life again. I'll buy a better one after this trip.

My horn lets me down from time to time (no sniggering at the back please.) Usually if I pull the spade connectors off and replace them it works again. Other times a blast of WD into the trumpet bit and spiders and stuff come out. 

26 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

Are spiders deaf ?  Or do they just enjoy the vibes?

Dunno mate, but they scare the sh1t out of me! :) 
They seem to go in there in winter when the boat is on the winter mooring, then when we set off the horn never works. A bit of coaxing usually restores it.