Extra friction on morse control

Featured Posts

I've got the TFX 700SS morse fitted. Tickover is set around 800 rpm, push the lever forward a bit and I can cruise around 850 rpm, both these speeds the morse will maintain. Anything above, from 850 to around 1250 rpm, when I let go of the lever, it drops back to tickover. Around 1300 rpm, the lever will stay in position when I let it go.

For canal cruising 1300 rpm is too fast, ideally around 1100 rpm is an optimum speed, but to maintain it, I've got to keep hold of the morse lever.

After all that, has anyone any tips or ideas for increasing the friction so the morse will maintain speeds between 850 and 1300 rpm?

Thanks, Kevin

The common Morse controls do not have a friction adjustment but yours is a Teleflex design. The online installation guide makes no mention of adjusting the friction so I think that you will need someone who has one to advise if there is such an adjustment.

If not look at where the  cable attaches to the injector pump and see if there is a return spring you can remove. If not you may have to fit a tension spring to counter the closing effect of the governor. On my Bukh I had to just unclip the return spring.

25 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

The online installation guide makes no mention of adjusting the friction

Thanks Tony, it took some finding, but the installation guide I've found shows a 'throttle brake adjustment', I'll open it up in the morning and see if the adjustment solves the problem.

Kevin

• Greenie 1