Tubular Gel charging

Oliveboat

Featured Posts

Are you in Oz?  If not, then there are many UK suppliers who offer suitable chargers. Victron, Mastervolt, and Sterling are pretty common.

Charging voltages are nothing special - 14.4-14.7V Absorption, 13.6V Float and no more than 20A per battery. You have four batteries, so assuming you have a 12V boat then any charger up to 80A. 

DC to DC charging implies that either you intend to use battery [ower to charge your batteries (bad idea) or you have both a 12V and 24 volt system. I can't see any other explanation.

Most decent solar controllers will have a facility to set the charging profile to suit your batteries and you should be able to get an alternator regulator to suit as well.

For mains charging any reputable make (as Woteversays) will have adjustable or selectabe charging profiles.

Just  remember that even the most expensive batteries can be wrecked within a very few weeks if you do not have a very good battery discharge and charging regime. Seeing your location and probably putting two and two together to make five I fear you may have wasted your money unless you have shore lie charging.

4 hours ago, Oliveboat said:

i need a DC-DC charger to keep them top notch but am struggling to find one.

This need is almost unheard of on a boat. Could you expand a bit on the circumstances leading to this need please?

There is a LOT of expertise on this forum and if we understand how this need arises, it might be possible to advise more constructively.

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This need is almost unheard of on a boat. Could you expand a bit on the circumstances leading to this need please?

There is a LOT of expertise on this forum and if we understand how this need arises, it might be possible to advise more constructively.

Ummmmm I’ve got DC-DC charging! So I can charge my 24v starter bank from my 12v Alternator...all my domestics & inverter banks are 12v  

2 hours ago, frangar said:

Ummmmm I’ve got DC-DC charging! So I can charge my 24v starter bank from my 12v Alternator...all my domestics & inverter banks are 12v  

Yes, as I said, both a 12V and 24 volt system but the OP needs to provide far more details if they want a sensible answer and so far they are not forthcoming. Nowadays with dual alternator engines there is less need for DC to DC chargers.

2 hours ago, frangar said:

Jolly good. 

Answer the OP's question then!