Planning Application for New Marina

Featured Posts

It's good to see the long awaited planning application for the new marina at Walkeringham on The Chesterfield Canal is now in. It makes for interesting reading and I am pleased to see that Canal and River Trust are now in favour of this going ahead.

For those that know the area there is a long derelict brickworks there but the land has been used as a store for all manner of redundant and scrap materials for many years as it just slowly collapsed a bit more. It is good to see they plan to keep the iconic old chimney as a focal point and build the new pub/restaurant around it. This should breathe new life into the area and provide a nice stopping place for boaters (providing the dredge the canal back along there)

PHOTO-557648.jpg.4383b3160e9ffa936547655832670533.jpg

9 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

It's good to see the long awaited planning application for the new marina at Walkeringham on The Chesterfield Canal is now in. It makes for interesting reading and I am pleased to see that Canal and River Trust are now in favour of this going ahead.

For those that know the area there is a long derelict brickworks there but the land has been used as a store for all manner of redundant and scrap materials for many years as it just slowly collapsed a bit more. It is good to see they plan to keep the iconic old chimney as a focal point and build the new pub/restaurant around it. This should breathe new life into the area and provide a nice stopping place for boaters (providing the dredge the canal back along there)

PHOTO-557648.jpg.4383b3160e9ffa936547655832670533.jpg

Is this not far from west stock with and the Trent ??

Just now, Rob-M said:

Not very many moorings ?

Not very many boats on this canal!

Just now, Spanners said:

Is this not far from west stock with and the Trent ??

It is that end of the canal yes. pop Walkeringham into Maps and you will see where it is. Between Misterton and Gringley, both are considered to be a massive metropolis in this neck of the woods ;)

2 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

Not very many boats on this canal!

It is that end of the canal yes. pop Walkeringham into Maps and you will see where it is. Between Misterton and Gringley, both are considered to be a massive metropolis in this neck of the woods ;)

For a moment I was hoping it would be nearer Chesterfield ,, lol,

There is of course the history of the brickworks here to be the considered. I await the publication of the Chesterfield Canal Society article on this respect. It was the old brickworks here that has made the Marina project feasible, no doubt.

walkeringham4.png

On 24/08/2019 at 09:55, Heartland said:

There is of course the history of the brickworks here to be the considered. I await the publication of the Chesterfield Canal Society article on this respect. It was the old brickworks here that has made the Marina project feasible, no doubt.

walkeringham4.png

There is indeed a very long history of a brickworks on that site.

Is there an article awaiting publication? If there is I will look forward to reading that. 

• 9 months later...