River Nene conditions

blackrose

Featured Posts

Thanks that looks good, but is there anything that just tells me if the various reaches of the river are navigable or not? Or should I just assume that if the levels are within the typical range then it's navigable? 

The EA river conditions webpages for the Thames were very user friendly. You can easily see what reaches are on reds, yellows, etc. Why don't other navigation authorities just use the same model?

For the Nene (and other rivers) the guidance just seems a bit ambiguous. Just because a river isn't flooding doesn't necessarily mean it's safely navigable. I was thinking of going out today but wasn't sure after yesterday's rain.

Edited by blackrose

The Nene is very complicated because of the various flood alleviation schemes, different catchment areas, and the way the locks are reversed. I would say its OK unless the text warnings come through, although if you are out when this happens,  you could be stuck.

Unlike the Ouse warnings, (divided into 3 distinct areas), the Nene is just one....

So can be hairy at one end and lovely half way down......however, the warnings dont tell you this.

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The Nene is very complicated because of the various flood alleviation schemes, different catchment areas, and the way the locks are reversed. I would say its OK unless the text warnings come through, although if you are out when this happens,  you could be stuck.

Unlike the Ouse warnings, (divided into 3 distinct areas), the Nene is just one....

So can be hairy at one end and lovely half way down......however, the warnings dont tell you this.

Cheers. Looking at the weather forecast I think levels will be falling for the next week, but am I ok to go out if levels are within normal ranges on that site you sent me? I wouldn't be concerned if I was going upstream as I have plenty of power but going downstream is always a bit trickier.

Edited by blackrose

17 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Cheers. Looking at the weather forecast I think levels will be falling for the next week, but am I ok to go out if levels are within normal ranges on that site you sent me? I wouldn't be concerned if I was going upstream as I have plenty of power but going downstream is always a bit trickier.

Always remember that the flood levels indicated are "buildings and roads " flooding, not navigation. It takes a while to work out the safe cruising levels, and flow meters where available are also important .

The Soar for me is one where I can work out when it's safe to go from Wreake and Rothley Brook catchment streams and the City centre level in Leicester....sometimes when in the red at locks. Next week looks fine until after Bank holiday so even if the SS warning comes in, it wont be in for long.

https://www.gaugemap.co.uk/#!Detail/1500/1647

One of the storage areas!

Yes, there has been a lot of rain in the last 36 hours, but the levels are fairly stable looking at most gauges.

26 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Another one worth a look, which I am sure you are aware:-

https://teamup.com/ks42748cc81f4df974

Not river levels, but advice on restrictions and closures.There used to be a EA guy on twitter too, but I can no longer find him.

I think you mean Paul Separovic, he is still active but the account has been renamed a month or three ago to https://twitter.com/EnvAgencyAnglia 

There is also good information on various Nene related facebook groups, including one run by Friends of the Nene. 

• Happy 1

1 minute ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I think you mean Paul Separovic, he is still active but the account has been renamed a month or three ago to https://twitter.com/EnvAgencyAnglia 

There is also good information on various Nene related facebook groups, including one run by Friends of the Nene. 

Yep, that's him. Thanks,bookmark updated.