Bacon Butty debate

nbfiresprite

Bacon Butties debate  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Should a Bacon Butty have butter?

• With butter
    • Without

Featured Posts

The humble bacon butty plays a inportant part of a boaters day. Some people would never get underway without a steady supply of butties up to the helm in the morning. So the question does arise should a butty have butter on it, My own view is that the bread should be slathered with butter (thus the name "butty")

• Greenie 1

Its without for me as I have to keep my svelte figure in order to get round and in engine bays to do stuff like remove gear boxes , replace drive plates and batteries and replace engine mounts. 

I also spend far more time sanding, scabbling, taping up and painting than I do in engine bays(due to other staff that cant) so am probably making up excuses.

Those who know me know svelte is not entirely correct, And I do like butter on crumpets, pikelets and oven bottomers, however, do know that bacon ...AND butter would probably annoy my doctor, so I dont. 

Butter dilutes the brown sauce, so no for me. I also like the rind on.

Ali on the other hand is a butter on girl, no rind and deffo no brown sauce!

Sometimes wonder if we are compatible...

Edited by johnmck

With butter, bacon dropped on still sizing hot and sandwich closed so it melts into the bread.

Although going back to my youth, fried in the lard until crisp on the one side. As a teenager I had a pocket money job as a petrol pump attendant, the garages mechanic had a forced combustion paraffin heater to warm the workshop up and he used to cook the most amazing bacon on fried bread butties on this heater, I am sure the frying pan never saw a sink in the two years I worked there.

An admission.

I hang my head in shame, but sometimes...

We, for speed and efficacy, sometimes microwave our bacon. A cardinal sin I know, but with good bacon  on a cold morn,  with HP sauce, it's still yum.

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Its without for me as I have to keep my svelte figure in order to get round and in engine bays to do stuff like remove gear boxes , replace drive plates and batteries and replace engine mounts. 

I also spend far more time sanding, scabbling, taping up and painting than I do in engine bays(due to other staff that cant) so am probably making up excuses.

Those who know me know svelte is not entirely correct, And I do like butter on crumpets, pikelets and oven bottomers, however, do know that bacon ...AND butter would probably annoy my doctor, so I dont. 

Svelte describes you perfectly sir.?

No butter. In a blender put:

• A few cherry tomatoes, very ripe, or a couple of normal sized tomatoes
  • A clove of garlic
  • A pinch of chilli flakes
  • A few mint leaves
  • A couple of tablespoons of olive oil

Blend. Spread some on the bread for a bacon bap, cheese on toast, pickled herrings on toast or whatever. Keeps a few days in the fridge.

12 minutes ago, Onewheeler said:

No butter. In a blender put:

• A few cherry tomatoes, very ripe, or a couple of normal sized tomatoes
  • A clove of garlic
  • A pinch of chilli flakes
  • A few mint leaves
  • A couple of tablespoons of olive oil

Blend. Spread some on the bread for a bacon bap, cheese on toast, pickled herrings on toast or whatever. Keeps a few days in the fridge.

On a bacon butty!

Begone foul fiend, never darken the forum again...

Can I swerve off at a tangent and have a moan about the lack of fat on cheap bacon these days? 

The thing about well cooked fried bacon used to be the divine mix of fat and lean. Nowadays, and particularly with back bacon, all the fat has  gone. Bin cut off at the factory where they make it. This rather spoils bacon for me. Even streaky bacon has very little fat in it these days. Its NOT FAIR. 

• Greenie 1

Fancying a bacon sandwich a few years ago, I went to Sainsburys and purchased a pack of "I can't believe how bloody expensive this bacon is" bacon (or something along those lines). It oozed white stuff all over the pan, looking like... well it wasn't nice. The week after I started making my own bacon and haven't bought any since.

1 minute ago, Onewheeler said:

Fancying a bacon sandwich a few years ago, I went to Sainsburys and purchased a pack of "I can't believe how bloody expensive this bacon is" bacon (or something along those lines). It oozed white stuff all over the pan, looking like... well it wasn't nice. The week after I started making my own bacon and haven't bought any since.

I have sometimes noticed that milky white stuff - what is it? It's not confined to cheap bacon either - even the more upmarket supermarket types (as mentioned by Onewheeler) seem to exude it.

These days we buy bacon but rarely; when we do it's from Russell's butcher's next door. The bacon produces no white stuff.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

I have sometimes noticed that milky white stuff - what is it?

It’s the brine that they not only cure the bacon with but with which they inject the bacon prior to slicing it in order to increase its weight. I only buy dry cured from a local butcher these days for that reason. It’s more expensive but you’re buying bacon, not salty water. 

• Greenie 3

6 minutes ago, Onewheeler said:

I'm reasonably sure that is water, injected into the bacon to make it simply bigger. If you cook bacon thoroughly it all evaporates out and the bacon shrinks back to its true original size. Read the contents label on the pack and it usually says "25% water" or something like that.

If they put the rashers in the pack at their un-water-expanded size, no-one buys them as they look too small. 

I'M OUTRAGED.

Thanks. I've heard of the practice of injecting liquid into meat (especially ham, I think) to increase its weight, but thought that it was confined to cheap lines.

Here again, we buy our ham from Russell's and it's 100% ham, though it does often have a collar of fat - but then, slim pigs you don't get.

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

I have sometimes noticed that milky white stuff - what is it?

It comes from added phosphates used to aid water retention and decrease the bacon : total weight charged for ratio.

11 minutes ago, Athy said:

I have sometimes noticed that milky white stuff - what is it? It's not confined to cheap bacon either - even the more upmarket supermarket types (as mentioned by Onewheeler) seem to exude it.

These days we buy bacon but rarely; when we do it's from Russell's butcher's next door. The bacon produces no white stuff.

We always buy dry cure bacon, both back or streaky which is sometimes more expensive but at least it avoids the water/white stuff. For me a bacon sandwich should be steaky for the extra fat content which adds to the flavour.

I have never been a fan of white sliced packaged bread, but I think that the only exception is when making a bacon sandwich (with butter, of course!)

Howard

2 hours ago, mayalld said:

KETCHUP??

Heathen!

Bacon Butties come with brown sauce. Anything else is an aberration against nature,

It’s been a while since I went to church, so you may be right.

However, I always reckon Brown sauce looks like something evil in a babies nappy. 

You really must try some Heinz tomato ketchup to educate your palate. 

7 minutes ago, MHS said:

It’s been a while since I went to church, so you may be right.

However, I always reckon Brown sauce looks like something evil in a babies nappy. 

You really must try some Heinz tomato ketchup to educate your palate. 

I am in shock simply imagining the prospect of having the stuff in my presence.

Wrong, I tell you, WRONG!