nbfiresprite

Bacon Butties debate  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Should a Bacon Butty have butter?

• With butter
    • Without

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Chris Williams said:

Find a butcher with one of those slicer things.  Ask him for nice thick slices and watch his face light up - "Ah, someone who likes real bacon".

I haven't visited for years, but Makro used to do pre-packed bacon cut like doorsteps.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Branston Pickle is not what it was when I was a nipper, 'nuff said.

Kansas or not, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.   Branston may not have changed an iota, it is just that in those days it was the only 'pickle' (actually chutney) whereas now there is a cast of thousands to compare it with.  Sharwoods mango chutney is yummy.

1 minute ago, Murflynn said:

Kansas or not, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.   Branston may not have changed an iota, it is just that in those days it was the only 'pickle' (actually chutney) whereas now there is a cast of thousands to compare it with. 

Er, no - see earlier posts. It was always Pan Yan in our house. I believe that Major Grey has been made for a good number of years too.

I sometimes wonder if "pickle" and "chutney" are synonymous, in the spreadable sense of Branston etc. Obviously pickles can also be gherkins, eggs etc.

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

I was born in Lancashire in 1954 and can assure you the word "butty" to describe a sandwich predates The Beatles.

I seem to recall that the jam variety were mined in a small town just outside Liverpool.

Edited by David Mack
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Onewheeler said:

Well, not from the whole, squeaking pig. A nice chunk of belly pork or loin takes about a week to turn into green bacon, a few days longer for smoked.

I was feeding and stroking my christmas gammon this morning. I was also giving water to my christmas leg of lamb.

• Greenie 2

3 hours ago, cuthound said:

I was born in Lancashire in 1954 and can assure you the word "butty" to describe a sandwich predates The Beatles.

You, like me then are far too young for The Beatles. We were only in our very early teens when they broke up and only at junior school when they were at the top.

10 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

You, like me then are far too young for The Beatles. We were only in our very early teens when they broke up and only at junior school when they were at the top.

You, like me, probably reckon his "decade" was circa 1965 - 1975.

Early Beatles - forget it (don't tell the Memsahib). Late Beatles - getting quite "progressive". 

I wouldn't put pickle/chutney on a bacon butty though -- not even Pan Yan (which was also a permanent presence in the pantry of my childhood home dahn sarf, Mike!)

1 minute ago, Machpoint005 said:

You, like me, probably reckon his "decade" was circa 1965 - 1975.

Early Beatles - forget it (don't tell the Memsahib). Late Beatles - getting quite "progressive". 

I wouldn't put pickle/chutney on a bacon butty though -- not even Pan Yan (which was also a permanent presence in the pantry of my childhood home dahn sarf, Mike!)

Bloomin eck!! I had forgotten about Pan Yan pickle :D

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I do hope that isn't a euphemism....

:D Err no Mike, I was feeding the pigs and lambs this morning lol.  A couple of gloucester old spots are going to be the bacon and gammon for christmas ?

36 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I was 16 when they broke up. First noticed them in '67, just when they were shedding their "prototype boy band" image. 

Like most of their music from "Rubber Soul" onwards. Not so keen on the earlier stuff.

Prefer the Stones though.

Edited by cuthound
To add missing quotation marks

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

:D Err no Mike, I was feeding the pigs and lambs this morning lol.  A couple of gloucester old spots are going to be the bacon and gammon for christmas ?

We had Gloucester Old Spots for a few years and very tasty they were too. Try having some Oxford Sandy & Blacks. They nest build well in a pig ark, but beware their bite. They can give your legs quite a nip. 

38 minutes ago, MHS said:

We had Gloucester Old Spots for a few years and very tasty they were too. Try having some Oxford Sandy & Blacks. They nest build well in a pig ark, but beware their bite. They can give your legs quite a nip. 

They have some of those at The Pig Place where Mrsmelly is moored. We admired them last year.

11 hours ago, MHS said:

Yep, all the pigs here are oxford sandy and blacks apart from 3 big gloucester old spots. I am just about to cook Oxford sandy and black bacon and sausages with duck eggs for breakfast :D Oxford sandy and black roast pork for dinner today.

On 17/08/2019 at 10:03, Mike the Boilerman said:

Can I swerve off at a tangent and have a moan about the lack of fat on cheap bacon these days? 

The thing about well cooked fried bacon used to be the divine mix of fat and lean. Nowadays, and particularly with back bacon, all the fat has  gone. Bin cut off at the factory where they make it. This rather spoils bacon for me. Even streaky bacon has very little fat in it these days. Its NOT FAIR. 

And rind! Sod the robins crispy rind and fat is a guilt pleasure of mine. After all its just bery thin crackling innit?

Edited by Dyertribe
  • Greenie 1

33 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yep, all the pigs here are oxford sandy and blacks apart from 3 big gloucester old spots. I am just about to cook Oxford sandy and black bacon and sausages with duck eggs for breakfast :D Oxford sandy and black roast pork for dinner today.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I am sure there was a mention of a new healthy diet recently 

:):);)

30 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I am sure there was a mention of a new healthy diet recently 

:):);)

Yeah there was, I lost one and a half stone, that 11 kilos in funny money. However life is too short so I am having a life again for a while and will put a couple of kilo things back on but in a couple of weeks time I am dieting again and will aim for 5 kilo loss this time so will still be over all losing even more. It can be done, much like giving up smoking I just said right I am stopping today and thats what I did. I once when ill was advised by doc to stop drinking and did so for 6 months didnt touch a drop but doc said I was ok to have a couple of beers after that time so I now have a beer again. We can all make excuses re how hard it is to diet, stop smoking etc but in reality you just have to get on with it. By the way and this is good tip for wannabe dieters. I still most days had a proper english breakfast when dieting and still lost the weight. Proper English breakfast has a lot of protein so keeps hunger at bay much longer than so called healthy breakfasts, I also stopped all sweet stuff and snacks point blank. It was the buns, butter, fat, chocolate, fruit juice and milk that made me too heavy, when I removed them all and was careful I lost weight.

Eat less, do more might sound boring but thats actualy what works innitt.

8 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yeah there was, I lost one and a half stone, that 11 kilos in funny money. However life is too short so I am having a life again for a while and will put a couple of kilo things back on but in a couple of weeks time I am dieting again and will aim for 5 kilo loss this time so will still be over all losing even more. It can be done, much like giving up smoking I just said right I am stopping today and thats what I did. I once when ill was advised by doc to stop drinking and did so for 6 months didnt touch a drop but doc said I was ok to have a couple of beers after that time so I now have a beer again. We can all make excuses re how hard it is to diet, stop smoking etc but in reality you just have to get on with it. By the way and this is good tip for wannabe dieters. I still most days had a proper english breakfast when dieting and still lost the weight. Proper English breakfast has a lot of protein so keeps hunger at bay much longer than so called healthy breakfasts, I also stopped all sweet stuff and snacks point blank. It was the buns, butter, fat, chocolate, fruit juice and milk that made me too heavy, when I removed them all and was careful I lost weight.

Eat less, do more might sound boring but thats actualy what works innitt.

Good for you :)

I admit to being slightly more rotund than I used to be and have a similar attitude to you

Although they will take my butter from my cold dead hands ;)

• Happy 1