90 members have voted

1. 1. Should a Bacon Butty have butter?

• With butter
    • Without

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, mayalld said:

KETCHUP??

Heathen!

Bacon Butties come with brown sauce. Anything else is an aberration against nature,

No, no, no.

Brown sauce is for sausage sandwiches, only good quality ketchup for a bacon (and mushroom) sandwich.

14 minutes ago, mayalld said:

I am in shock simply imagining the prospect of having the stuff in my presence.

Wrong, I tell you, WRONG!

so you wouldn't let Ed Sheeran dine in your establishment  ?

SNOB  !!!   

Edited by Murflynn

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm reasonably sure that is water, injected into the bacon to make it simply bigger. If you cook bacon thoroughly it all evaporates out and the bacon shrinks back to its true original size. Read the contents label on the pack and it usually says "25% water" or something like that.

If they put the rashers in the pack at their un-water-expanded size, no-one buys them as they look too small. 

I'M OUTRAGED.

Most bacon and much chicken has water pumped into it to add weight. The eu that is supposed to protect us allows water but if its above about five percent then it must be called bacon with water added or somett. In my opinion it should simply be illegal, end of,  to add water to meat. The bacon here is awesome and no water, it costs much more than the crap sold in supermarkets but they sell masses of it to discerning customers.

Anyway there are a couple of must haves for a bacon butty

It absolutely MUST be on white bread, non of that healthy coloured crap.

It MUST have butter on it, not the spreads that some people buy, they should be illegal

I also prefer two eggs with my sarnie but thats optional.

Another point NO sauce of any sort as most sauces are fifty percent sugar so thats all you taste.

3 hours ago, Athy said:

A thin layer of butter (or in our case sunflower margarine), lean back bacon, a few sliced mushrooms, a sprinkling of West Indian sauce such as Encona or Sea Isle.

Man made processed food muck.

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Can I swerve off at a tangent and have a moan about the lack of fat on cheap bacon these days? 

The thing about well cooked fried bacon used to be the divine mix of fat and lean. Nowadays, and particularly with back bacon, all the fat has  gone. Bin cut off at the factory where they make it. This rather spoils bacon for me. Even streaky bacon has very little fat in it these days. Its NOT FAIR. 

Again old sport, visit a proper pork rearing farm and pick whichever bacon you want out of the box. All natural, some with some without fat depending on the pig much of it.

Edited by mrsmelly

Best bacon I've tasted was dry cured oak smoked from a butchers in Kinver, pricey but well worth it, zero spitting in the pan unlike some of the so called 'dry cured' expensive stuff I've tried over the years.

In Yorkshire it's called a bacon sandwich, not the Lancashire term 'butty' ?

ETA: I assume it is from Lancashire? 

Edited by nb Innisfree
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, nb Innisfree said:

In Yorkshire it's called a bacon sandwich, not the Lancashire term 'butty' ?

ETA: I assume it is from Lancashire? 

From memory, the widespread use of "butty" in the sense of "sandwich" started with the Mersey Beat boom of 1963-64. The Beatles and their pals used the term, and the press latched on to it. Before that, it was certainly not used across the border, at least not in Sheffield where I was brought up.

18 minutes ago, Athy said:

From memory, the widespread use of "butty" in the sense of "sandwich" started with the Mersey Beat boom of 1963-64. The Beatles and their pals used the term, and the press latched on to it. Before that, it was certainly not used across the border, at least not in Sheffield where I was brought up.

At no time in my life was I a friend of any of the popular beat combo called the Beatles but I have always called a bacon butty a bacon butty.

I did find out recently Ringos niece lived local to me but don't think that counts

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

At no time in my life was I a friend of any of the popular beat combo called the Beatles but I have always called a bacon butty a bacon butty.

That, presumably, is because you are younger, so the term was already in popular use throughout your life.

1 hour ago, dor said:

No, no, no.

Brown sauce is for sausage sandwiches, only good quality ketchup for a bacon (and mushroom) sandwich.

Thank you for the ketchup support. 

Now you've opened another can of worms with the mushrooms. I enjoy mushrooms too for a change, but then add less ketchup. 

4 hours ago, Onewheeler said:

The week after I started making my own bacon

Not from first principles, I hope?

32 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I have always called a bacon butty a bacon butty.

Why on earth wouldn;t you? It's made of two slices of bread with bacon in it. so (1) it's butty and (2) its a bacon butty.

Two slices of bread with cheese and tomato in is a cheese butty.

Two slices of bread with a fried egg in is a fried-egg butty.

Two slices of bread with smoked salmon, cream cheese and black pepper in them is heaven, but it's still a butty.

7 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Well, not from the whole, squeaking pig. A nice chunk of belly pork or loin takes about a week to turn into green bacon, a few days longer for smoked.

3 minutes ago, Onewheeler said:

Well, not from the whole, squeaking pig. A nice chunk of belly pork or loin takes about a week to turn into green bacon, a few days longer for smoked.

Funnily enough I've taken it from a tiny squeeler to the butcher but left the technical stuff to him, proper bacon,gamon and sausage.

Always fancied the actual curing

15 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Why on earth wouldn;t you? It's made of two slices of bread with bacon in it. so (1) it's butty and (2) its a bacon butty.

Two slices of bread with cheese and tomato in is a cheese butty.

Two slices of bread with a fried egg in is a fried-egg butty.

Two slices of bread with smoked salmon, cream cheese and black pepper in them is heaven, but it's still a butty.

Sort of my point, although a sarny will do in a pinch

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Occasionally when someone hears I'm from Sheffield they will mention butties ?

Edited by nb Innisfree

I was born and brought up in a pit village.  My parents and grandparents having had to eak food out both through WW2 and on low pay after the war would never have dreamed of using butter or marg on a bacon sandwich.  So i had no choice.  Much the same way as my mum didn't like currants - so no fruit cake, didn't like briwn sauce - so no brown sauce.  I carried on with the no butter until 1980.  At that time I was working delivering frozen food and ice cream to shops, restaurants etc in Yoeks, Notts Lincs.  One day I turned up to stock Newstead Hall up for the summer.  The key holder for the storeroom was not there but the cafe girl was. Could I wait?  Could i wait if there was a bacon sandwich and cuppa in it?  Yes of course.  She fried the bacon i butter and served it in a buttered bread cake.  Bliss.  At home, yes to butter (SWMBO) likes it that way) in a shop it varies with the extras, so I swing both ways.

As for brown sauce I usually decline, but do like a bit of Branston with a cheese and crisps sandwich.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I was born in Lancashire in 1954 and can assure you the word "butty" to describe a sandwich predates The Beatles.

• Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, Grebe said:

As for brown sauce I usually decline, but do like a bit of Branston with a cheese and crisps sandwich.

Branston Pickle is not what it was when I was a nipper, 'nuff said.

6 hours ago, Onewheeler said:

No butter. In a blender put:

• A few cherry tomatoes, very ripe, or a couple of normal sized tomatoes
  • A clove of garlic
  • A pinch of chilli flakes
  • A few mint leaves
  • A couple of tablespoons of olive oil

Blend. Spread some on the bread for a bacon bap, cheese on toast, pickled herrings on toast or whatever. Keeps a few days in the fridge.

nutter!

• Happy 1
  • Angry 1

10 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Branston Pickle is not what it was when I was a nipper, 'nuff said.

Bring back Maconochie's Pan Yan! (Or is it still made?) That was always the jar of pickle in our pantry when I was of similar age.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Bring back Maconochie's Pan Yan! (Or is it still made?) That was always the jar of pickle in our pantry when I was of similar age.

It seems they lost the recipe, an attempt was made to recreate it but not by a mainstream manufacturer 

https://www.thepropermarmaladecompany.co.uk/blogs/the-proper-marmalade-company-blog/61266693-panyan-pickle-reconstructed

• Greenie 1