Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
matty40s

Route planning USA

Featured Posts

So, we are landing in Denver in a couple of weeks, and exiting from.Washington Dulles a couple of weeks later.....no real plans..although apparently I am the nominated driver for the Million Dollar Highway.!!

We have several must do's, and some would like to see's. What is the best digital route planner, can you create and save this on Google maps or is there a better way??

Unfortunately for the planet we have hired a rather large Ford 4x4 Pickup, however, as this the worlds top selling vehicle, dont feel that we are completely to blame for the rain today or next month.

Not that familiar with the central part of the US, but head east and you will be fine.  As you would expect there is a lot of interesting stuff in DC and the surrounding areas so give yourself plenty of time at the end.

If you are on Three you have free internet as you have here, so google maps will work well, but tethering will not work.  If the F150 is like most cars in the US it will support the Apple and Android car systems rather than having its own sat nav, so you will be able to have the phones native map system up on the screen, that worked well for us in both the US and Canada earlier in the year.

We have currently got White Sands,  Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Vegas, the Ozarks and maybe New Orleans down as some the targets. 

If I see a hurricane forming, the that might be a sidetrack.😁

We have the Ranger Raptor, so hopefully we can turn off the tarmac at some points and enjoy the interior.

What we need is something we can plan ahead on, giving driving times, possible diversions, and  other places of interest,.something we can save to laptop or phone, and amend as we go along maybe?

Have you looked at a map, Vagas and New Orleans are a bit out of the way from Denver to DC in terms of driving!  If you want to go there, fly!  Most of the interior Iowa/Illinois is corn fields and hick towns, but interesting non the less and not what most people’s impression of the US is.  If you only have 2 weeks don’t underestimate how long it will take to drive.  I know I sound like someone saying you need 3 weeks to do the Warwickshire ring, but Denver/Vagas/New Orleans/DC in 2 weeks driving sounds a big ask to me.

Google is about is good as it gets and especially being free.  Google My maps will allow you save maps but can't use with GPS I don't think?

There is a fairly new Google Maps to Go app that I started  using because the original version keeps crashing on my phone.

Pay attention to what John6767 has said. You're going to be hard pressed to drive all you have mentioned in 2 weeks!  Denver to DC is a LONG drive without all the detours and taking time to sight-see. You mentioned some good places, depending on what you like but I think you may be underestimating the distances there.  The US is mighty big! Might want to fly out of somewhere further West than DC if you wan to see the places you mentioned. Maybe book a flight from New Orleans to catch the DC flight.

Edited by Kudzucraft

25 minutes ago, Kudzucraft said:

Google is about is good as it gets and especially being free.  Google My maps will allow you save maps but can't use with GPS I don't think?

Google Maps on a phone will allow you to save quite a substantial chunk of mapping for offline use. So if you don't have free/affordable mobile data there you can download the following day's section when you have a wifi connection at the airport/overnight accommodation/restaurant/bar etc. The gps will work without a phone signal. Not sure if the routefinding works without a data connection, but at least you will be able to see your location blob on a map as you drive.

I suggest you try it out here first by turning the mobile data off on your phone. 

Edited by David Mack

8 hours ago, john6767 said:

If you are on Three you have free internet as you have here, so google maps will work well, but tethering will not work.

^^^ This. I'm on 3 PAYG - it's not free Internet but it's the same price as the UK so I don't sweat at a 40 or 50 Mb for a route map (Off Topic but Mrs 1st Ade thought I was ill when I switched to 3; BT are £1.50 a minute to phone home, 3 is 3p a minute. Makes a BIG difference phoning the Other Half)

8 minutes ago, 1st ade said:

^^^ This. I'm on 3 PAYG - it's not free Internet but it's the same price as the UK so I don't sweat at a 40 or 50 Mb for a route map (Off Topic but Mrs 1st Ade thought I was ill when I switched to 3; BT are £1.50 a minute to phone home, 3 is 3p a minute. Makes a BIG difference phoning the Other Half)

OK it’s not free, but I meant that is is included in your contract as it is here.  So my £20 per month unlimited everything works the same in the US as here, except that it does not allow tethering, and I can confirm that tethering does not physically work as we tried to tether my wife’s EE phone to mine for internet.  In terms of calls, it is only calls to the UK that are included, if you need to call US numbers then you will pay.  Another good thing to note is that you can use Skype on your phone to call US free phone numbers for free without having to have any Skype call credit (this also works to call US free phone numbers from the UK).

33 minutes ago, john6767 said:

OK it’s not free, but I meant that is is included in your contract as it is here

My misunderstanding😕

I'm currently in the US every other month and a different city each time - for me it's good to pick up a hire car - turn on the phone and it's remembered my last search for xxx hotel in Denver (or Miami or Seattle or...)

Be aware - some states (California is one) prohibit phones or sat nav's on rubber suckers - they must be fixed

10 hours ago, john6767 said:

Have you looked at a map, Vagas and New Orleans are a bit out of the way from Denver to DC in terms of driving!  If you want to go there, fly!  Most of the interior Iowa/Illinois is corn fields and hick towns, but interesting non the less and not what most people’s impression of the US is.  If you only have 2 weeks don’t underestimate how long it will take to drive.  I know I sound like someone saying you need 3 weeks to do the Warwickshire ring, but Denver/Vagas/New Orleans/DC in 2 weeks driving sounds a big ask to me.

My bad  , sorry, forgot to add the internal flight.

We are dropping vehicle at Jacksonville and have an internal flight to DC on the last day, hence the New Orleans direction.

5 hours ago, matty40s said:

We are dropping vehicle at Jacksonville and have an internal flight to DC on the last day, hence the New Orleans direction.

Good! I used to teach a boat building class every year near DC and it took me 2 days to drive up there. And New Orleans is a full day the other way.  Hope you enjoy your trip, your hitting some places I have wanted to go to.

17 hours ago, matty40s said:

So, we are landing in Denver in a couple of weeks, and exiting from.Washington Dulles a couple of weeks later.....no real plans..although apparently I am the nominated driver for the Million Dollar Highway.!!

We have several must do's, and some would like to see's. What is the best digital route planner, can you create and save this on Google maps or is there a better way??

Unfortunately for the planet we have hired a rather large Ford 4x4 Pickup, however, as this the worlds top selling vehicle, dont feel that we are completely to blame for the rain today or next month.

I have just arrived back from Denver after watching the Stones there last Saturday. This involved a week long road trip which included the Rocky Mountain National Park (a must whilst you're in the Denver area). We hired a GPS with the car (not cheap) but Google Nav worked well too. We flew to Vegas and drove to Denver in two days with stops. Your must-do list is good but I would also recommend adding Bryce Canyon (more impressive than Grand Canyon in my opinion). Unfortunately Yosemite and the California coastal route are too far away for you or they would be a must-do too.