Perkins S6M withP6M gearbox......

Yorkie

Featured Posts

New to the CW forum, so maybe I'm in the wrong section; but here goes !

Recently purchased a 1911 ex Royal Navy pinnace for restoration. She was converted to motor cruiser in 1951, so only the hull is original...ish.

Perkins engine and gearbox were fitted around 1977, but I doubt if they were new even then.

I'm about to carefully strip down the engine......suspected head gasket fault....hopefully not a problem...as it's now out of the boat and in my workshop.

Boat had a mishap last Xmas, and partly sank at the mooring.....prior to my purchase     Engine had already been drained of oil, and this week I pumped out 30 litres of the Aire and Calder out of it.

So far, so good. ! 

Can't find any details about the gearbox...…...oil fed, but manual operation using a long lever in wheelhouse, and shafts to the gearbox ...Could do with a repair/operation manual.

Needless to say, if the engine turns out to be beyond repair, then I will have to replace the lot...….Perkins Sabre maybe ?

The hull construction was originally built for rivers/estuaries and coastal...(not to mention battleships)…..so any replacement engine needs to be up to the job, with a few HP in reserve ? 

Thoughts anyone ?...especially on repair/overhaul of the P6M gearbox if necessary...…..if parts even exist ?

An S6 is a museum piece,and wernt a very good motor anyway.........A Sabre would be a good replacement,and a common hydraulic box like a Velvet drive.......Dont fit anything you cant readily buy spares for......If the S6 doesnt go,I wouldnt even waste the money on an oil change....incidentally ,a P6 is a much smaller motor than a S6,and a lot less power.......but at least spares are available,as well as updated motors of the same dimensions,but direct injection......All these small Perks suffer from rear main bearing wear.