Communication advice please

Pippa Perryman

Featured Posts

49 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Years of boating have taught  me that there are two golden rules when I am steering and the Memsahib has gone ahead to prepare a lock.

(1) Be patient;

(2) Wait and see - you will always find out before you need to know.

No 2-way communication is needed. 

Ok then, if you insist, an agreed arm signal for "one coming up first". The signal for "stop and wait" doesn't need to be agreed.

If the roles were reversed I would not be carrying my ball and chain mobile phone as they are all programmed to jump into water without provocation. 

We also have a signal for leaving the lock gates open if she sees a boat approaching, wide spread arms.

8 hours ago, David Mack said:

Hand signals are best. But for occasional use you and your husband probably already carry a suitable communication device, which unlike a PMR or bluetooth device, can be used to contact not only each other but also most of the world's population.

3 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

If you're on the same mobile system, why not take your mobile phones? It costs nothing. We've got a couple of walky-talky things, but they're not used and are taking up space. 

Work out a few (clean) hand signals, create a 'language' between your both. You could hang a whistle around your neck to attract attention. 

I was working a lock last week, and only half opened the paddles while our boat stabilised in the lock. I got into a conversation with a woman who was working to lock, and I wasn't paying attention, until my husband gave a loud whistle. He can whistle loud enough so he doesn't need a 'physical' whistle. He got my attention, and with a hand signal I knew he wanted me to crank the paddles fully open. The lady I was chatting too was mortified.... "You answer to your husband's whistle?"  A bit sheepishly I had to own up that I do ?

Mobile phones don't work if they have no signal.  We have a couple of PMR and use them if we remember to take them off the charger!

The biggest stumbling block is that the O.H. either refuses to take the receiver, or if he/she does doesn't use it .

Too much technology - shout / wave / see what happens...

Really, boating should be chilled - throw away the gadgets and rely on hand signals and the position of other vessels - they'er the ones that cause problems - not you or your crew....

• Greenie 1

On 15/08/2019 at 18:46, Alway Swilby said:

Mobile phones don't work if they have no signal.  We have a couple of PMR and use them if we remember to take them off the charger!

Phones are also just a PITA in this scenario, having to dial a number and wait for a reply.  They can't be used when wearing thick winter gloves either.  Seems as though those people who have walkie talkies and don't use them, simply haven't got used to using them.  At first, we always used to forget to take them out, or to charge them.  Now I make a point of keeping them charged and, as soon as we get to a lock flight, out they come.  They aren't necessary but they do make things easier and far more civilised.

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 09:00, nipper said:

Experienced boaters mostly use hand signals as they have tried all the other methods and found them not that good!

Also, most people go in the canals for the piece and solitude including the word, quietness!

There is nothing that gets me annoyed more than someone shouting into a vhf set when there standing within a few feet of me!

Just look what others do and you will be fine!

Nipper

I agree. A few agreed hand signals are far more effective (and don't need recharging)

9 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

They aren't necessary but they do make things easier and far more civilised

Sorry but peace and quiet is far more civilized. The world seems obsessed with 'communications'

And who said that canals and boating should be easy? :cheers:

• Greenie 1