Vintage engines

Featured Posts

45 minutes ago, Athy said:

.....as long as the hull is sound - which you will find out because the safety certificate has run out, so you must have a survey done in order to be able to take to the water legally

I got a bit confused when you said the above.

I don't think you legally have to have a survey done at all.

This one - Certainly looks the part.

1938 10HP

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 hour ago, Athy said:

because the safety certificate has run out, so you must have a survey done in order to be able to take to the water legally.

This is palin wrong, in case any newbies are reading this and deeply puzzled.

A BSS inspection needs renewing every four years but this is NOT the same thing as survey. Surveys are optional (unless your insurance co insists on one).

27 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This is palin wrong, in case any newbies are reading this and deeply puzzled.

A BSS inspection needs renewing every four years but this is NOT the same thing as survey. Surveys are optional (unless your insurance co insists on one).

I know and even when I pointed it out he didn't correct it when he posted a reply ( post #26) …………………….

I think Athy is having a 'senior moment'

58 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This is palin wrong,

So is this. :P

Inspector, surveyor, call him what you will, the boat will need a new safety certificate because its last one expired last month.

Edited by Athy

14 minutes ago, Athy said:

Inspector, surveyor, call him what you will, the boat will need a new safety certificate because its last one expired last month.

That just shows the importance of using the correct terminology - something I'd have thought you would have realised.

A Survey is a very different 'animal' to a BSS examination.

A boat does not legally require a survey in order to 'take to the water legally'.

47 minutes ago, Athy said:

It might just be me (though judging by the confusion in the thread possibly not!), but I would take 'survey' to mean an out-of-the-water hull survey.

2 minutes ago, tehmarks said:

It might just be me (though judging by the confusion in the thread possibly not!), but I would take 'survey' to mean an out-of-the-water hull survey.

You are part way there - a HULL Survey, surveys only the Hull.

A Full survey should survey every system (water, electric, gas, fuel, engine, gear box, Hull, solar  etc etc etc)

When you book your surveyor you explain what sort of survey you want.

4 hours ago, tehmarks said:

That would be an accurate interpretation, yes. I was distracted by the fall of a wicket in the test match while I was typing, and may not have chosen the ideal term.

However, whatever terminology we use, the important thing is that you have noticed that a new BSC is needed - which I wasn't sure if you had, as you had not mentioned it.

5 hours ago, tehmarks said:

A "survey" is an inspection and written report commissioned by you, to find out the condition of your boat. You can ask the surveyor to inspect as much or as little as you want. It is for your own information and nothing more.

A Boat Safety Scheme inspection is a mandatory inspection of the electrical, gas, solid fuel and propulsion systems on your boat to ensure they do do represent a danger to others or risk polluting the canal. It is Pass of Fail. If your boat fails you are denied a licence.

The confusion between the two that nice Mr Athy is experiencing is probably caused by the fact that BSS inspectors are sometimes boat surveyors too. The wicket excuse is a red herring in my opinion, although herrings are DELICIOUS. 

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

A "survey" is an inspection and written report commissioned by you, to find out the condition of your boat. You can ask the surveyor to inspect as much or as little as you want. It is for your own information and nothing more.

A Boat Safety Scheme inspection is a mandatory inspection of the electrical, gas, solid fuel and propulsion systems on your boat to ensure they do do represent a danger to others or risk polluting the canal. It is Pass of Fail. If your boat fails you are denied a licence.

The confusion between the two that nice Mr Athy is experiencing is probably caused by the fact that BSS inspectors are sometimes boat surveyors too. The wicket excuse is a red herring in my opinion, although herrings are DELICIOUS. 

No it wasn't delicious - it was an ENGLAND wicket.

Incidentally, the Boat Safety Scheme web site refers to it as an examination and to the inspectors as examiners. Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

Edited by Athy

17 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Eggsactly

Why would you call it 'having a survey' ?

....or, for that matter, "having an inspection"?

The S.O.D. gives survey, examine and inspect as synonyms - so, as I explained in an earlier post, the important thing is not the precise nomenclature but the acquisition of a valid certificate.

Edited by Athy