Nice to see Scholar Gypsy

Chop!

Featured Posts

The day before yesterday, it was nice to see Scholar Gypsy going upstream on the very weedy Old West River, we were cruising back towards Ely.

Today we battled through torrential rain and strong winds to get to Jude's Ferry (end of navigation on the river Lark).

Probably do the Little Ouse tomorrow and the river Wissey the day after.

Nice one month trip out from the Nene to Bedford and back.

Edited by Chop!

49 minutes ago, Chop! said:

The day before yesterday, it was nice to see Scholar Gypsy going upstream on the very weedy Old West River, we were cruising back towards Ely.

We came up the Old West last week, and it wasn't at all bad for weed. A lot of floating duckweed on bends where the wind had blown it, but nothing to bother a narrowboat unless it had raw-water cooling. In fact I've been amazed how weed-free the Fens have been. The EA weed cutters have obviously been at work above Godmanchester, and they passed us heading downstream two days ago. Also saw the big Berky on the Wissey.

On Saturday, the waves were breaking over the top of the guilotine at Brownshill Staunch.

Will look out for SG.

MP.

5 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

We came up the Old West last week, and it wasn't at all bad for weed. A lot of floating duckweed on bends where the wind had blown it, but nothing to bother a narrowboat unless it had raw-water cooling. In fact I've been amazed how weed-free the Fens have been. The EA weed cutters have obviously been at work above Godmanchester, and they passed us heading downstream two days ago. Also saw the big Berky on the Wissey.

On Saturday, the waves were breaking over the top of the guilotine at Brownshill Staunch.

Will look out for SG.

MP.

You were probably in front of us then, as you say we weren't bothered by the weed, as we went back to skin cooled when we fitted the Sabb.

We lost a day and a half due a funeral and another day and a half to bad weather, so we winded at Great Barford, shared St. Neots lock with a steam launch, then got several sightings of the seal at Brownshill staunch.

Got to moor right outside the Red Herring restaurant in Ely, highly recommend eating there, the fish platter starter was enough without the mains we'd already ordered! The finished the evening off with a visit to the excellent Drayman's Son micropub.

cameringo_20190813_204555.jpg

18 minutes ago, Athy said:

Chop, my wife said to me about three weeks ago that she'd seen "two large boats, one of them a working boat" going past our house (in Upwell) while I was out. Would that have been you?

Hi Athy,

Probably not, we only have our motor, left the butty at the marina.

And as we crossed to Denver Sluice on a Spring tide, I was thankful that we never brought it!

We'll be back through Upwell around the 21st.

3 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

I think you went past us when we were moored at Brampton Mill.

MP.

We're probably the only narrowboat on the Great Ouse that's flying a Welsh dragon!

Edited by Chop!

Very good to see you too, I appreciated the Welsh flag. Currently in St Neots, watching the dragon racing practice. I spent the afternoon wondering why the oil pressure buzzer was going off once an hour, and then realised it was the smoke alarm that needs replacing (sealed unit). Ha!

68512474_2616203648411936_2018069046351626240_n.jpg.67d659c38fc26917b800a7674bbbbbee.jpg

More photos here:  

2 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

There was a cruiser moored in front of us the other day flying the Black Country flag.

MP.

Love the Black Country flag, our neighbour flies one!

14 hours ago, Chop! said:

Hi Athy,

Probably not, we only have our motor, left the butty at the marina.

And as we crossed to Denver Sluice on a Spring tide, I was thankful that we never brought it!

We'll be back through Upwell around the 21st.

We're probably the only narrowboat on the Great Ouse that's flying a Welsh dragon!

I am sorry, I am not very good at resisting temptation. Taken this morning at St Neots, weather rather nicer today.

DSC_5926.JPG

I am also supporting the campaign for a new Fenland Flag - a similar idea to the Black Country flag...  You can also see my small Welsh Dragon here, second from the right.

dsc_4443.jpg

11 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I am sorry, I am not very good at resisting temptation. Taken this morning at St Neots, weather rather nicer today.

DSC_5926.JPG

I am also supporting the campaign for a new Fenland Flag - a similar idea to the Black Country flag...  You can also see my small Welsh Dragon here, second from the right.

dsc_4443.jpg

What an humongous collection of flags / ensigns / whatever flying from the NB eqivalent of a  cross tree is called - Some of which are sewn - got to keep up doncha know....

Great to see the Jubilee "ensign" in use - keep it up, while other's standards are dropping

5 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

What an humongous collection of flags / ensigns / whatever flying from the NB eqivalent of a  cross tree is called - Some of which are sewn - got to keep up doncha know....

Great to see the Jubilee "ensign" in use - keep it up, while other's standards are dropping

Thank you.  It is a bit out of control and does somewhat impede the steerer's visibility. From the right, working down each pair:

• St Pancras Cruising Club, Fenland flag
  • USA (where son #1 is living at the moment), AWCC (handy for getting free visitor moorings at other AWCC clubs)
  • Pembrokeshire (where my wife's family have lots of connections), Vanuatu (South Pacific, where son #2 is living at present)
  • HM Diamond Jubilee Pageant flag
  • Welsh Dragon, IWA (old logo)
  • Great Ouse boating assn, Spotted on the Ouse facebook group, Boating Association (who publish the Trent charts).

Under current plans for next year's cruise, I will need to get some more ...

dsc_2990.jpg.0494e3b9d3213bb2f315719563532881.jpg

21 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Yes, on post #9 above. DSC_5812.JPG.6eff1cb0f1c5ffb24fabe28d4981beda.JPG

Diolch yn fawr iawn! Thank you very much! Great photo!

Just struggled to reach Brandon Lock, had to go over a fallen tree, only just made it, struggled to wind at the E.A. 48 hour moorings. Fingers crossed that we are as lucky on our way back out!

cameringo_20190816_133452.jpg

cameringo_20190816_133407.jpg