Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

NEW: Following member feedback, we now have a Mooring & Marina Review forum. Post your review here.

Wanderer Vagabond

Telephone indescretion

Featured Posts

When, and why, did we become a nation with little or no discretion when using the ubiquitous mobile phone?

I am becoming quite used to overhearing the minutiae of people's lives as they walk along public streets having a full-on domestic argument over their mobile phones with some current or ex-partner, occasionally happens as I travel by train which gives some low level entertainment for a trip. Today however whilst on a train journey the overheard conversation plumbed whole new depths of stupidity. The conversation began with the person concerned calling up his phone supplier, obviously to top up his credit on his phone. At the outset I thought that it was a bit of a strange thing to be doing in a very public arena, but supposed that he had some secure manner of doing so, how wrong I was. He then began passing his details over the phone (just in case you need to know his name is Smith, but spelt Smythe), so far so good, but then began passing his full Credit/Debit card details over the phone, not such a smart move I thought, but not content with that he then passed his 3 digit security from the back of the card over the phone in full hearing of everyone in the carriage! I was tempted to lean across and say,"I'm sorry old chap, could you repeat those last numbers, I didn't get them written down quickly enough" but then thought perhaps someone that stupid might not 'get it', so didn't bother.

Is there nothing these days that people wont discuss openly in a public arena on their mobiles? Yes, I probably shouldn't be listening, but if they are dumb enough to be having the public conversation, why not.

Well as the farcebook generation are happy to publish just about everything to the entire internet, giving away a few details in a train carriage is nothing. Anyway, more to the point, what have you purchased with your newly acquired details. 

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Phil. said:

Well as the farcebook generation are happy to publish just about everything to the entire internet, giving away a few details in a train carriage is nothing. Anyway, more to the point, what have you purchased with your newly acquired details. 

If I were of a criminal persuasion I could have had loads. The WiFi on the train was free so I could have set up a dodgy e-mail address and then opened an Amazon account with the newly acquired details, using my newly created e-mail account as 'verification'. Give a genuine address (anywhere in the country) as my delivery address but then ask for the goods to be delivered to one of the unmanned pick-up points and all before the train even reached Bristol:rolleyes:. Trouble is I try not to deal with Amazon, so that scam was out of the window;).

• Happy 1

12 minutes ago, Phil. said:

His brand new laptop that he typed his comment on?

• Haha 2

What makes you think that anyone else apart from you was listening? If someone was.what makes you think that they were such felons that they would attempt to commit a criminal act base don an overheard telephone conversation? I do not have a mobile telephone, but I get the impression that owners of such things are more interested in using them themselves than in snooping on other users' calls.

The title of a Black Sabbath hit springs to mind.

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

"Master of Reality"?

I spose that was a hit album, rather than a hit single....

Very neat!