Don’t moor near my canalside house

sirweste

Featured Posts

On 14/08/2019 at 20:25, MartynG said:

There are hundreds of miles of canals . Isn't it just easier to moor somewhere else?

Not if you have arrived in the evening and are tired after a long day...? And the example above in Bathampton the engine was on for 5 minutes not all day

When South Yorkshire Police built their new Operations Complex in Tinsley, Sheffield, they chose the name of the new access road ... Letsby Avenue.

The residents of Butt Hole Road in Conisbrough, managed to persuade the Council to change the name in 2015 to Archer Way.

1 hour ago, Pennine said:

When South Yorkshire Police built their new Operations Complex in Tinsley, Sheffield, they chose the name of the new access road ... Letsby Avenue.

The residents of Butt Hole Road in Conisbrough, managed to persuade the Council to change the name in 2015 to Archer Way.

Should have gone up-market with Uranus Way

On 14/08/2019 at 19:29, furnessvale said:

Unless you are at Macclesfield when there are official CRT notices telling you not to run your engines on the official visitor moorings.  This is to accommodate the residents of a row of newly built houses nearby.

George

Oddly enough, there was a boat there today, running his engine and ignoring the (official) sign.

Now, I am all for ignoring unofficial signs (and have form on dealing with householders who have "contacted the water board about you lot"), and I thing CRT made an error in agreeing to the official signs, but official signs should be respected.

The same boat passed us whist we were moored for lunch in Bollington, and then we passed them near our mooring, moored up and running in gear.

I won't name and shame, but in accordance with standard practice, the boat has been noted in the log, and its name struck through in a firm manner.

• Greenie 1

We've been moored in Birmingham when a canal side apartment has had a party on their balcony until about 3am but I didn't feel the need to go out and tell them to turn the noise down, just started our engine at 8am for some hot water ?

10 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

We've been moored in Birmingham when a canal side apartment has had a party on their balcony until about 3am but I didn't feel the need to go out and tell them to turn the noise down, just started our engine at 8am for some hot water ?

We've been there when that happened.Verrrrry quiet the next day...

22 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

And people are surprised when there is opposition to boats mooring opposite apartment blocks and houses.

Each as bad as the other. 

29 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I was in the middle of nowhere when, about 7pm the farmer came out to mow his meadow (cue a song!).

He then came back with a big baler.

He then came back with a big wrapping machine.

Finally he came back with a big fork lift and trailers.

About 2.30am he left us in peace.  It doesn't just happen in big cities! :-)

George

2 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

I was in the middle of nowhere when, about 7pm the farmer came out to mow his meadow (cue a song!).

About 2.30am he left us in peace.  It doesn't just happen in big cities! :-)

George

Should have been at Napton, he would also covered you in cow shit, borrowe next doors spreader but it threw it twice as far as his, over the hedge, towpath and canal

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

About 2.30am he left us in peace.  It doesn't just happen in big cities! ?

George

Which was there first, the farm or your moored boat?

?

11 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

About 2.30am he left us in peace.  It doesn't just happen in big cities! ?

George

Quite similar to what happened to us a few nights ago when moored on the new bit of the Ashby just beyond the swing bridge. Forget which day it was but it was the evening before the day of heavy rain and he was still going at 2am but not sure what time he stopped as I was well akip by then.

No complaints though, his need to harvest before the rain trumped my need to sleep.

Also he started at the canal end of the field, where the noise was really loud, and worked away from it so the noise gradually lessened and wasn't too bad by the the time we went to bed.

40 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

?

Exactly!  It was quite funny though.  After each operation he left the field and we settled down thinking "that's it", only for him to reappear a few minutes later with the next bit of kit!

George

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

?

Fair point, but back when the canal was built both the boats and the farmer used horse power - much quieter (and more civilised)?

11 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Should have been at Napton, he would also covered you in cow shit, borrowe next doors spreader but it threw it twice as far as his, over the hedge, towpath and canal

Are you sure you weren't running a genny after 8:00pm? ?

20 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And people are surprised when there is opposition to boats mooring opposite apartment blocks and houses.

Each as bad as the other. 

Does the evidence that the buildings were constructed long after the canal and kin the knowledge that boats moor there have any bearing on the fairness argument?