Don’t moor near my canalside house

sirweste

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

The road, pleasingly called Creampot Close, looks as if the houses date from the late '60s or thereabouts. At least one couple of original residents didn't mind the boats at all: they excavated part of their garden and, for some years, moored a 30 foot-ish narrowboat in it, sideways on to the canal. In any case, those houses' back gardens, which come down to the canal's edge, must be about 60 feet long, so any disturbance to occupants by boats is likely to be at worst minimal.

Some great street names isnt there. I bought a car from cup and saucer in cropredy a couple of years ago lol.

54 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

Ditto. Makes me feel so much better!

This (people turning in driveways)  I can't understand! We have a driveway which we have to maintain but by far the most traffic on it is people turning. The aggravating thing is that there is a proper vehicle turning point 20-30 yards further on . We don't have any "no turning" signs up but it is tempting ? 

haggois

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Some great street names isnt there. I bought a car from cup and saucer in cropredy a couple of years ago lol.

Yes, that one's named after a stone feature, still visible near the top of the road, which does indeed look rather like a cup and saucer. Well, sort of. When we visit 'Trojan' we often park the car in Roundbottom, whose name, I like to think, is a tribute to the strapping physique of the local country lasses, though this may of course not be the case.

17 minutes ago, haggis said:

This (people turning in driveways)  I can't understand! We have a driveway which we have to maintain but by far the most traffic on it is people turning. The aggravating thing is that there is a proper vehicle turning point 20-30 yards further on . We don't have any "no turning" signs up but it is tempting ? 

haggois

In the general scheme of things it's probably no worse than stealing someone's lock Ann!

2 hours ago, BWM said:

It's strange, in some areas boats seem to be drawn to moor near houses in a similar way to bridges. There is one close to Hatton, an individual residence with thousands of empty yards of space surrounding it that nearly always has a boat or two outside, there is no discernable difference in depth so i cannot fathom out why they would moor there.

Because he owns the house? He also has a very long extension lead, if its who i think it is..

17 hours ago, Bobbybass said:

I recently moored on the K&A at Bathampton. They had cable tied.."quiet zone" notices  to their mooring rings. I stopped at 6pm..and let the engine run for 5 minutes while we microwaved tea. Knock knock knock on the side of the boat...and some obnoxious **** telling me it was a quiet zone ..in a very unpleasant way. !.

I told him where to get off. We moved on then..A few weeks later ...a fellow boater in a pub told me the same story...and he had so told the obnoxious **** to go away  ?

Apparently his house isn't one if the houses we were immediately outside..it was some way away.

As I understood it ..CART quiet requirements are 8pm to 8am...but are these homemade looking signs enforceable ?

Post #17 this thread.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

the same of course cannot be said of some old air cooled knacker of a lister for instance.

Boats which list, whether they are air cooled or not, or knackered or not, can usually be corrected by judicious moving around of the ballast. 

I'm not sure why a listing boat should be any noisier than any other, however. 

Hope that helps....

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

The one that I can think of is near the station, just before the cruising club moorings.  I think I am right in that the edge there is piled, rather than concrete, and it is also close to a road bridge.  So I think not really in that case because of the house just it ticks other boxes for a mooring location.

That sounds about right, i can't recall if it's piled or not but the strong magnetic pull of a bridge...There are still masses of available space to moor though. 

50 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Because he owns the house? He also has a very long extension lead, if its who i think it is..

Not unless he has something of a fleet! There have been different craft there every time I pass.

31 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Boats which list, whether they are air cooled or not, or knackered or not, can usually be corrected by judicious moving around of the ballast. 

I'm not sure why a listing boat should be any noisier than any other, however. 

Hope that helps....

Is this the right thread old chap?

I saw another one just now about a leaning boat, this one is about you moving your boat near to my canal side house, which is odd, because I don't have a house, and if I did and it was canal side then I'd happily welcome you outside ….. perhaps inside even, who knows?

3 hours ago, BWM said:

It's strange, in some areas boats seem to be drawn to moor near houses in a similar way to bridges. There is one close to Hatton, an individual residence with thousands of empty yards of space surrounding it that nearly always has a boat or two outside, there is no discernable difference in depth so i cannot fathom out why they would moor there.

If it's the place I'm thinking of it's right next to Hatton Station, by the bridge.

Good enough reason for mooring there?

ETA Oops, just read through the rest of the thread. John makes the same point and, IIRC I tried to moor just beyond a couple of boats tied up there some years ago. I couldn't get into the side, too shallow. Lots of depth further on but further to walk back to the station.

Edited by Victor Vectis

19 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Is this the right thread old chap?

I saw another one just now about a leaning boat, this one is about you moving your boat near to my canal side house, which is odd, because I don't have a house, and if I did and it was canal side then I'd happily welcome you outside ….. perhaps inside even, who knows?

You missed, I imagine, the fact I was replying to mrsmelly waffling on about listers 

It was a joke based on his failure to capitalise the initial letter of a proper noun.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

There is a road in Raunds called Titty Ho that has the Titty Ho Motor company on the corner :)

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You missed, I imagine, the fact I was replying to mrsmelly waffling on about listers 

It was a joke based on his failure to capitalise the initial letter of a proper noun.

No need to imagine, you are of course on the money.  In my view every letter of the name LISTER should be in capitals.

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

There is a road in Raunds called Titty Ho that has the Titty Ho Motor company on the corner :)

And there’s a Honeypot Lane in Husbands Bosworth. 

Why doesn’t Husbands Bosworth have an apostrophe?

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Perhaps it was founded by two chaps named Bosworth, both of whom were married.

4 hours ago, WotEver said:

one of the villages round here   Westward Ho!

Has an exclamation mark the only place in the UK that has ;)

• Happy 1

8 hours ago, WotEver said:

My only concern about the place is the entry in Wiki …..

"On the southern boundary of the village is a thriving allotment site, immediately adjacent to the village's cemetery." !!!!!