Don’t moor near my canalside house

sirweste

Featured Posts

I recently moored on the K&A at Bathampton. They had cable tied.."quiet zone" notices  to their mooring rings. I stopped at 6pm..and let the engine run for 5 minutes while we microwaved tea. Knock knock knock on the side of the boat...and some obnoxious **** telling me it was a quiet zone ..in a very unpleasant way. !.

I told him where to get off. We moved on then..A few weeks later ...a fellow boater in a pub told me the same story...and he had so told the obnoxious **** to go away  ?

Apparently his house isn't one if the houses we were immediately outside..it was some way away.

As I understood it ..CART quiet requirements are 8pm to 8am...but are these homemade looking signs enforceable ?

17 minutes ago, Bobbybass said:

I recently moored on the K&A at Bathampton. They had cable tied.."quiet zone" notices  to their mooring rings. I stopped at 6pm..and let the engine run for 5 minutes while we microwaved tea. Knock knock knock on the side of the boat...and some obnoxious **** telling me it was a quiet zone ..in a very unpleasant way. !.

I told him where to get off. We moved on then..A few weeks later ...a fellow boater in a pub told me the same story...and he had so told the obnoxious **** to go away  ?

Apparently his house isn't one if the houses we were immediately outside..it was some way away.

As I understood it ..CART quiet requirements are 8pm to 8am...but are these homemade looking signs enforceable ?

Those cottages at Bathampton are very close to moored boats, so I can understand why the householders woudl not want boats running engines and generators, particularly as this is a popular mooring spot, so presumably  busy all year round (with visiting boats and the local CCers).

If you want to run your engine, why not move along a little further beyond the end of the cottages - the signed 48 hour moorings extend for some distance.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Bobbybass said:

Unless you are at Macclesfield when there are official CRT notices telling you not to run your engines on the official visitor moorings.  This is to accommodate the residents of a row of newly built houses nearby.

George

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Those cottages at Bathampton are very close to moored boats, so I can understand why the householders woudl not want boats running engines and generators, particularly as this is a popular mooring spot, so presumably  busy all year round (with visiting boats and the local CCers).

If you want to run your engine, why not move along a little further beyond the end of the cottages - the signed 48 hour moorings extend for some distance.

He wasn't from.one of those. He was on the other side..set about 50 feet back from the canal. Apparently bought a canal side house..but doesn't want the boats...so I was told in the pub

1 minute ago, Bobbybass said:

He wasn't from.one of those. He was on the other side..set about 50 feet back from the canal. Apparently bought a canal side house..but doesn't want the boats...so I was told in the pub

The thing is, the massive increase in liveaboards in both Bath and London is a relatively recent thing in the scheme of things and with this in mind i have sympathy with the house owners. It isn't comparable to the idiots who buy a house adjacent to a boozer and then complain constantly about the normal activity. 

50 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

Unless you are at Macclesfield when there are official CRT notices telling you not to run your engines on the official visitor moorings.  This is to accommodate the residents of a row of newly built houses nearby.

George

And on the Oxford right beside the railway line

2 hours ago, furnessvale said:

George

When I stopped at Macc on the pontoon (where there aren't such notices) last Sunday at about 9am, someone was happily running a very noisy engine. It's right opposite a big block of flats, and the noise bouncing off them back to where I was at the other end of the pontoon was unbearable. In my view it's thoughtless and unacceptable behaviour and no doubt signs will appear on the pontoon soon. 

• Greenie 4

6 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

When I stopped at Macc on the pontoon (where there aren't such notices) last Sunday at about 9am, someone was happily running a very noisy engine. It's right opposite a big block of flats, and the noise bouncing off them back to where I was at the other end of the pontoon was unbearable. In my view it's thoughtless and unacceptable behaviour and no doubt signs will appear on the pontoon soon. 

Aren't they actually sheltered accommodation there? Maybe all the residents are deaf.

3 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

It is this 'make 'em have it' mentality that creates the climate when signs, legislation and bad feeling become more common, cramping everyone's style and generally eroding freedom. And there is now a tribe of nodders who jump go the defence of noisy engines being run under the guise of needs must.

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, BWM said:

The thing is, the massive increase in liveaboards in both Bath and London is a relatively recent thing in the scheme of things and with this in mind i have sympathy with the house owners. It isn't comparable to the idiots who buy a house adjacent to a boozer and then complain constantly about the normal activity. 

You contradict yourself in that statement, the canals with smokey boat chimneys have been there longer than most of the flats and houses.

In Dec/Jan 2011, I was reported for smoking flats out in Little Venice.

The reports came from the flats opposite the 14 day moorings. I burnt smokeless fuels whenever in London. 

I had taken a lovely photo when I left the boat that morning, with no smoke emitting, and a Northerly wind away from the flats that had been blowing for weeks. Debbie Figgy of this forum(senior London enforcement Officer at the time)  called me about the report, I reported what I was burning and that there was no pollution problem from my boat.

She then replied that she was stood by my boat when one of the complaints came in and was going to visit the complainer and put them straight.....as my boat was no pollution threat to their, or anyone else flat locally.

8 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Indeed. The notices I’ve seen in Macc are by the old waterpoint location. Whilst it was still there, I had a conversation with a local resident who explained that, because of the sloping washwall, the baseplate of moored boats is in contact with it and the noise of a running engine transmits through the ground, into the house cellar and thus up through the structure. Those houses have been there a long time, as long as we’ve been boating on the Macc, they’re not new build.

8 hours ago, matty40s said:

You contradict yourself in that statement, the canals with smokey boat chimneys have been there longer than most of the flats and houses.

In Dec/Jan 2011, I was reported for smoking flats out in Little Venice.

The reports came from the flats opposite the 14 day moorings. I burnt smokeless fuels whenever in London. 

I had taken a lovely photo when I left the boat that morning, with no smoke emitting, and a Northerly wind away from the flats that had been blowing for weeks. Debbie Figgy of this forum(senior London enforcement Officer at the time)  called me about the report, I reported what I was burning and that there was no pollution problem from my boat.

She then replied that she was stood by my boat when one of the complaints came in and was going to visit the complainer and put them straight.....as my boat was no pollution threat to their, or anyone else flat locally.

I'm not sure what is contradictory about my post, having not mentioned chimneys but assume you are referring to the public house analogy. You are right that in many cases the canals and boats have been there longer than the properties but this is not a straight comparison, the boats of the past were always travelling through with rare exceptions and even in later days, post carrying the numbers did not equate to today's boom in liveaboards. 

There are, of course petty minded folk who complain by nature but i suspect the residents who complained about you unjustly may have been sensitised by the inconsiderate burning housecoal and very likely plastic, something i despise that seems common today.

Another factor peculiar to London is that only twenty years ago there were no more than a handful of boats throughout the whole city, how things have changed.

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

People running their engines outside residential properties however, is just plain selfish and anti-social, whatever the reason and whatever the time of day, or night.

It's strange, in some areas boats seem to be drawn to moor near houses in a similar way to bridges. There is one close to Hatton, an individual residence with thousands of empty yards of space surrounding it that nearly always has a boat or two outside, there is no discernable difference in depth so i cannot fathom out why they would moor there.

1 hour ago, BruceinSanity said:

Indeed. The notices I’ve seen in Macc are by the old waterpoint location. Whilst it was still there, I had a conversation with a local resident who explained that, because of the sloping washwall, the baseplate of moored boats is in contact with it and the noise of a running engine transmits through the ground, into the house cellar and thus up through the structure. Those houses have been there a long time, as long as we’ve been boating on the Macc, they’re not new build.

They ARE new build.  Anyone wishing to check who is correct can look on Google maps.  The road in question is called "Roan Mews".  The name is a dead giveaway for a new build by a developer for starters.  Street view clearly shows a row of newly built semis using recovered brick.  The land in question had some sort of industrial use before.

I see you mention a house cellar.  The new houses will probably not have cellars but there is a possibility that one house attached to the Puss in Boots pub could be an original building now converted to residential.  Perhaps the owner is the one who rigged up a hidden CCTV. Then he would go outside to wind up boaters, film their reactions and send edited highlights to BW/CRT.  He succeeded in having the water point moved to the maintenance yard where it is often inaccessible due to moored workboats.  Then CRT spent £150,000+ in setting up the pontoons the other side of the bridge.  A great publicity puff from CRT said how they were spending all this money on BOATERS facilities.

Now developers have built new housing opposite the pontoons as mentioned in #37 I have no doubt "no engines" notices will appear there as well.  At least the pontoons can be towed away, further into the country well away from the town and its facilities, until someone builds opposite the new location!

By the way, my own engine has a hospital silencer fitted AND I have a solar panel so I never run my engine when moored.  It is just the willingness of CRT to bend to every external demand before boaters that annoys me.

George

1 hour ago, BWM said:

It's strange, in some areas boats seem to be drawn to moor near houses in a similar way to bridges. There is one close to Hatton, an individual residence with thousands of empty yards of space surrounding it that nearly always has a boat or two outside, there is no discernable difference in depth so i cannot fathom out why they would moor there.

Many vms though are opposite houses. The vms for instance above cropredy lock are bang opposite a length of modern houses. Surely the owners were not forced to buy these properties? My modern, superb, smooth japanese engine with hospital silencer cannot be heard from a few short feet away, the same of course cannot be said of some old air cooled knacker of a lister for instance.

11 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Or even worse, stop boats mooring there.

:(

35 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Many vms though are opposite houses. The vms for instance above Cropredy lock are bang opposite a length of modern houses. Surely the owners were not forced to buy these properties? 

The road, pleasingly called Creampot Close, looks as if the houses date from the late '60s or thereabouts. At least one couple of original residents didn't mind the boats at all: they excavated part of their garden and, for some years, moored a 30 foot-ish narrowboat in it, sideways on to the canal. In any case, those houses' back gardens, which come down to the canal's edge, must be about 60 feet long, so any disturbance to occupants by boats is likely to be at worst minimal.

1 hour ago, BWM said:

The one that I can think of is near the station, just before the cruising club moorings.  I think I am right in that the edge there is piled, rather than concrete, and it is also close to a road bridge.  So I think not really in that case because of the house just it ticks other boxes for a mooring location.