Yet Again Impressed By Technology.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

I have Navionics on my phone which gives all of the marine charts for the whole of the UK, Ireland and across to the Netherlands for the princely sum of £35.

I found out that by using a chromecast I could mirror my phone screen on a 'big screen', Bought a chrome cast for £6 (ebay)

It worked.

I decided to buy a12v 10" TV (which has rechargeable batteries in-built) to use as a plotter on the boat. (£60, or could have used just a 10 -12" monitor at £40)

It comes with a 'sucker' to stick it on the window, or a built in stand, a mains/12v charger and a cigarette lighter charger (plus a small TV aerial and all sorts of AV wires)

It even works down the Trent and when zoomed in shows (for example) all the pontoons at Kings Marina (Newark)

It works perfectly - example of the charts at Spurn Point on the Humber.

The GPS plots you boat position and then you have a 'rolling road' just as you do with your car GPS. 

You can programme a route (see the line on the chart) and then just steer the boat so it follows the route.

Technology - I'm impressed again.

IMG_20190813_141754.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Happy 1

Just now, Kudzucraft said:

Love stuff like that. Just hate it when the next generation become dependent on it and can't do anything when it dies. Don't need it on my boat (once it get back on the water) but would love to have it. ?

This is the argument I have with No1 Son. He is 'tech-mad' but I keep saying what happens when the batteries go flat, or we lose GPS etc etc.

I ALWAYS have paper charts of the cruising area.

• Greenie 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/08/2019 at 14:51, Alan de Enfield said:

This is the argument I have with No1 Son. He is 'tech-mad' but I keep saying what happens when the batteries go flat, or we lose GPS etc etc.

When a mate of mine wanted to upgrade from First Officer to Captain with BA his exams included navigation by the stars, manual wind drift calculations et al. 

Edited by WotEver
Typo

I keep a horse and a blacksmith outfit for the same reason.....

Alan Kay - Technology is anything that wasn’t around when you were born

Edited by Wittenham
couldn't find the quote i was looking for, this one will do

1 hour ago, Wittenham said:

I keep a horse and a blacksmith outfit for the same reason.....

Alan Kay - Technology is anything that wasn’t around when you were born

All you lot who don't know how to knap flint are going to be in real trouble some day. It's more difficult than it looks. Young whippersnappers with their smart phones and apps. No app around to help you skin and butcher a mammoth! If you break the screen you can get some good sharp edges.

Jen ?

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

All you lot who don't know how to knap flint are going to be in real trouble some day. It's more difficult than it looks. Young whippersnappers with their smart phones and apps. No app around to help you skin and butcher a mammoth! If you break the screen you can get some good sharp edges.

Jen ?

Ooh I love a mammoth!  Couldn't eat a whole one though.

38 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Ooh I love a mammoth!  Couldn't eat a whole one though.

If you can't manage a whole one they do freeze quite well if you have an ice age handy. 

but I keep saying what happens when the batteries go flat

You whip out one of your several juice packs, silly. Even better is you have the ones that can be solar charging after you've used them. 

iu.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I don't think that 12v appliances would operate on one of those - would they ?

(I have several of those anyway - yes the solar ones - as the VHF and the GPS in the liferaft are 5v, I also have one in each of my rucksacks as my hiking electronics, my watch and my phone are all 5v)

Probably not, but would charge your phone which has navionics on it, or a tablet puter

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I don't think that 12v appliances would operate on one of those - would they ?

Probably not no, but you can get ones specifically for 12v if your really need to blow up what's on your phone onto your television. 

1 hour ago, Tumshie said:

I dread to think how you did that.... :huh: Of all my many catastrophes I don't remember ever blowing anything up, but life isn't over yet.

I made a batch of proper gunpowder once, unfortunately I didn't understand how it actually works to blow stuff up, so I didn't blow anything up.

Bloody good fun though 

17 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I've blown up may things:  Balloons, airbeds, beach balls, photos.

Ooh good point.

24 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I made a batch of proper gunpowder once, unfortunately I didn't understand how it actually works to blow stuff up, so I didn't blow anything up.

Bloody good fun though 

Still, working your way towards and interesting skill set :ninja:

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Well.............if you need any pointers.......I'm your man!

fullsizeoutput_c2d.jpeg

• Haha 1