Battery Towing Tractors. A Cunning Plan to Replace Diesel Boat Engines

Jen-in-Wellies

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I've just realised that I misread voles as volts in my previous reply. Anyone know how many voles it would take to tow a narrowboat at 3 or 4mph?

Jen

I'll have a stab at that.

We know from Mr Ohm that V=IR, or Voles = Ants x R

"R" represents the resistance in the conduit (canal). This is clearly, in the case of a canal,determined by the amount of ducks impeding progress of the boat. I postulate that as ducks are super and they exist mainly in the conduit, they can be thought of as a Super con duck or..... to put it another way, the resistance will be zero. As we all know resistance in a superconductor is futile,so can be ignored.

The resistance impeding the flow of ants and voles on the towpath however can not be ignored.Their progress will mainly be impeded by the amount of mole hills in their path.So our final equation is:

Voles = Ants x Moles.

Clearly we can not calculate the amount of Voles required to tow a narrowboat without also knowing how many Ants and Moles there are.

A water vole however would be a whole new set of equations.

(Note to self. Must get out more)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I've just realised that I misread voles as volts in my previous reply. Anyone know how many voles it would take to tow a narrowboat at 3 or 4mph?

Jen

5, but they need to have spent a little time in vole gym, otherwise 7

Ignore rustys overly complicated blurb above, I have real world experience of this

:)

Edited by tree monkey
To diss rustys post :)
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

5, but they need to have spent a little time in vole gym, otherwise 7

Ignore rustys overly complicated blurb above, I have real world experience of this

:)

Ok, ok. There is no need to make a mountain out of a volegym.I was just trying to help.

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

You lot will be laughing on the other side of your face when my vole operated transport system goes into production 

I can sell you a voletmeter, so you can measure their potential for doing work. ?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

You lot will be laughing on the other side of your face when my vole operated transport system goes into production 

I did the Volevo joke already. Don't milk it. Can you milk a vole?

8 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I can sell you a voletmeter, so you can measure their potential for doing work. ?

AVO? Ants, Voles, Ohmygod that is terrible.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mike55 said:

Found this picture of a tractor in use on the GU in 1975.

We got Jaguar stuck on the GU due to a load of silt being loosed out of a reservoir.  BWB sent one of those tractors, but it was not powerful enough.  They then sent a proper tug, which got us moving.

Forget this silly tractor business and get 240 vole power, each vole in it's own wheel, generating 1 amph, @peterboat can advise on suitable motor etc. Actually, hamsters may be more suitable, once they are worn out they can be eaten. 

6 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Forget this silly tractor business and get 240 vole power, each vole in it's own wheel, generating 1 amph, @peterboat can advise on suitable motor etc.

Make sure you use DC voles and not AC, otherwise the voles will be changing direction a hundred times a second and your boat will go nowhere.

• Haha 1