Running a business from my boat

lauramay

Featured Posts

Hi guys,

was hoping to get some tips here :)

I run a supper club and baking business and am in the market to take this onto the water. The supper club would be booked ahead (no walk ins) and i'd also like to open the hatch to sell cakes, food etc along the water every now and then. I would not have a mooring. I'm wondering if anyone has any information about the kind of business licence i'd need, insurance and anything in particular i should look for/avoid when purchasing my boat (this plan is in the early stages but something i've wanted to do for years, i finally have the money to buy a boat). I will mostly be roaming the London area and plan to serve a maximum of 6 guests per supper/event. Any tips would be most appreciated!

7 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

My eyes read "Stripper" not "Supper"

Used to be one of those in Birmingham. 

As an innocent teenager I used to arrive at Gas Street Basin on a Sunday morning to join the BCN Society work party group. Quite often one of the trip boats was there with a group of men boarding at one end, and an attractive young lady standing at the other. It was only when we were boating later and found the same trip boat moored at the back of a factory on the Oozells Street Loop with all the curtains closed, but clearly occupied by boozed up men that the penny dropped!

Edited by David Mack

Hot food requires certificates of kitchen safety, I think issued by councils so only relevant in their borough. Not sure about cold food. People like ice cream men must have some way round this as must true mobile chip shops/burger van.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Used to be one of those in Birmingham. 

As an innocent teenager I used to arrive at Gas Street Basin on a Sunday morning to join the BCN Society work party group. Quite often one of the trip boats was there with a group of men boarding at one end, and an attractive young lady standing at the other. It was only when we were boating later and found the same trip boat moored at the back of a factory on the Oozells Street Loop with all the curtains closed, but clearly occupied by boozed up men that the penny dropped!

There was one on the Coventry not so long ago...the boat was all white with black tinted windows to look like a stretched limo...had a couple of dance poles inside....always wondered what happened to it! 

47 minutes ago, Detling said:

Hot food requires certificates of kitchen safety, I think issued by councils so only relevant in their borough. Not sure about cold food. People like ice cream men must have some way round this as must true mobile chip shops/burger van.

Mobile food vendors are subject to pretty much the same inspections as fixed ones.  There is no 'way' round'.

Just now, doratheexplorer said:

Edited by doratheexplorer

16 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Mobile food vendors are subject to pretty much the same inspections as fixed ones.  There is no 'way' round'.

Yes, but I think @Detling‘s point was “Which council will inspect it?”  Unlike a shop premises a boat (or hot dog stand, or a mobile chippy) moves around. 

11 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Yes, but I think @Detling‘s point was “Which council will inspect it?”  Unlike a shop premises a boat (or hot dog stand, or a mobile chippy) moves around. 

A bit like having firearms on a boat - In theory, by law you must notify the Police who have issued your certificate if you leave their area, and inform the Police  of the 'new area' you are in their area - you should then surrender your licence and await an inspection and a new licence from the 'new' area Police authority.

Bit of a pain when you travel (say) Nottinghamshire - Staffordshire - Cheshire - Greater Manchester - Lancashire - Yorkshire - Lincolnshire - Nottinghamshire.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

My understanding is that mobile caterers operate within the area of the local council that has issued the licence (or at least are supposed to).

That could curtail the OP's ambitions a tad.

Likewise serving scoff to the GP from a hatch is one thing, allowing them on board is a totally different.   You're now getting into DOT rules on how many people may be allowed on board, life preservers, exits, Safety Certs,  how many Bri-Nylon socks, phases of the moon etc.

Edited by zenataomm
I had to dash, Gotham City needed me.

Google 'Pop Up Restaurant'!

Customers bring their own booze?

This link might help.... https://parkinsurance.co.uk/pop-restaurants-10-things-need-know-open-doors/

Location is everything, choose a place where you can get a license and recommendations, yet be able to move around to comply with CRT t&cs.

There are already several boats selling  hot food about. However having seen the state of the boats involved I would rather starve.

cant see how you can do commercial quality dishwashing and kitchen hygiene on a  narrow boat

when we ran trip boats it was always cold food. 

I suspect for a commercial kitchen, dining room,  for 6 people ,legal toilet system, and storage  fridges freezers et al as well as living accomodation you would need a very big boat.

19 minutes ago, David Mack said:

How do hotel boats manage? They are serving 3 meals a day plus morning/afternoon tea, all from an on board kitchen.

By running their engine/generator all day long and outside the 'stipulated' hours. The on board kitchen/dining room is often the only space on a butty, apart from cramped crew quarters. They also have to cope with laundry!!

7 hours ago, Detling said:

The Oatcake boat cooks and sells hot,but doesn't have people onboard

This sounds a near unique proposition so possibly the only really acceptable answer will be to get in touch with the business boating manager at CaRT with it. The hatch selling falls under roving trader with no footfall onto the boat, albeit there will be hygiene requirements etc for food. Plenty of ones already doing cakes, fudge, coffees etc about so is certainly possible, although perhaps not vastly profitable. The supper club however starts going into the cafe/restaurant arena so the OP really would need to run the proposition past the people who will or will not ultimately issue a licence and possible requirements. I don't know but this will definitely include speaking to CaRT, possibly council, appropriate insurance companies etc before committing to a venture that isn't viable or a boat that will not be suitable. I only know the canals round here but can't think of a boat that is very similar to that proposed. Possible movement of the boat (trip boat arena), half a dozen customers for an evening (parking issues) etc etc may all be hoops to jump through. We only have ideas of things to think about with this, only the powers that be or anyone with specific experience can offer properly informed advice.

19 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

1) Customers bring their own booze?

2) Location is everything, choose a place where you can get a license and recommendations, yet be able to move around to comply with CRT t&cs.

1) Because there's a fortune to be made in your customers bringing their own consumables.  That's why cinemas openly encourage you to traipse in with Pick n Mix and Coke you bought at Morrisons!

2) They're so freely available that nobody even bothers to advertise those moorings any more do they? And if you're going to comply with the second bit don't you also need three or four of these miracle moorings?

11 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

…..... there is also the Gonoselers rest in Branston, a boat in Birmingham that dose hot food and a cafe boat in Gloucester

I remember that place when it was called The Gongoozler's Rest, I think you can treat what you've got with penicillin.  

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

1) Because there's a fortune to be made in your customers bringing their own consumables.  That's why cinemas openly encourage you to traipse in with Pick n Mix and Coke you bought at Morrisons!

2) They're so freely available that nobody even bothers to advertise those moorings any more do they? And if you're going to comply with the second bit don't you also need three or four of these miracle moorings?

Re what I said "Customers bring their own booze?" - the question mark was about an 'alcohol license', would the OP be able to get one, and would BYOB be allowed.

I've no idea whether these moorings are available.... this is a discussion forum right?

• Greenie 1

One of my friends runs a fully legal insured etc hire boat.

it is not self steer he skippers it.

he leaves the boat after the days boating and goes home, and collects after breakfast.

he does not supply food other than tea and coffee. The customers either go to the pub or cook their own food. I think he has an arrangement through one of the food delivery supermarkets so he does not have to deal with food or cooking.

i think this gets him around the food/ catering kitchen/ liability issues.

he has been doing it 15 years at least and has his own base and mooring

• Greenie 1