Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

NEW: Following member feedback, we now have a Mooring & Marina Review forum. Post your review here.

Kitscot

Trying to identify this pub and lock.

Featured Posts

Hi. I am trying to identify this area. I have googled about 46 locks in the Oxfordshire area as I thought it was in that area, but it doesn't appear to be any of those. Can anyone help?

vlcsnap-2019-08-12-19h31m30s370.png

Edited by Kitscot

Cowley, GU

Pub (behind the lock house) is the Malt Shovel

Edited by Neil TNC

49 minutes ago, Kitscot said:

Hi. I am trying to identify this area. I have googled about 46 locks in the Oxfordshire area as I thought it was in that area, but it doesn't appear to be any of those. Can anyone help?

Welcome to the forum - with devotion like that you'll fit ion well round here! 

48 minutes ago, Neil TNC said:

Cowley, GU

Agreed

As the above are telling you.

If you peer carefully you might make out it's a wide lock, so can't be on The Oxford.

• Greenie 1

17 hours ago, Neil TNC said:

Cowley, GU

One of my regulars in the 1960's, when it was just "the Shovel". They changed the name to the Malt Shovel quite recently, but it was recorded as "The Malt Shovel" in the 1851 and 1871 censuses

However, there was an episode of either Morse or Midsummer Murders (cant remember which), where the action was on the Oxford, and one of the characters went through a hedge and was on the canal side at Uxbridge, a mile or so above the lock in the picture.

52 minutes ago, matty40s said:

However, there was an episode of either Morse or Midsummer Murders (cant remember which), where the action was on the Oxford, and one of the characters went through a hedge and was on the canal side at Uxbridge, a mile or so above the lock in the picture.

IIRC this was Midsummer Murders and they made up the buildings at Black Jacks Lock to be a pub.

Have also seen part of an episode of Endeavour where the garden of the Coy Carp at Harefield represented a Thames side pub. But then they also had a murder scene in one episode supposedly at a Thames lock which was filmed on the GU.

Saw a posting on Facebook last week where the poster said that he came across a new episode of Endeavour being filmed canalside

Edited by Tim Lewis