New boat names

Spanners

Featured Posts

Simply by thinking of one.

Then you get it signwritten in paint or vinyl onto your boat and let CRT know what the new name is.

Depending on how superstitious you are, you may wish to change the name whilst the boat is out of the water and write the old name somewhere hidden on the boat. (Other superstitions are available).

2 minutes ago, MHS said:

If it was your boat and you’re called Spanners, how about “Bagga”

Ha,ha,, thinking more along the lines of something with a connection to where I was born and lived ,, my home town and recent events there ,

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Depending on how superstitious you are, you may wish to change the name whilst the boat is out of the water and write the old name somewhere hidden on the boat. (Other superstitions are available).

It's very unlucky to be superstitious.

26 minutes ago, Spanners said:

Ha,ha,, thinking more along the lines of something with a connection to where I was born and lived ,, my home town and recent events there ,

Dam Busted?

Jen, who currently has the only Iron Snail on the inland waterways, according to CanalPlan.

2 hours ago, NB Caelmiri said:

Call it something original like "Narrow Escape".

Please don't. Any "clever and amusing" name is only that the first time you see it. The next 800 times one sees the same name on a boat one just rolls one's eyes heavenwards and wonders what on earth they were thinking of.

"Miss T. Morning" is a toe-scrunching example. At least two of those around. And of course "Narrow Escape", probbly well into three figures of those!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

As with all boats. Imagine if you had to broadcast to strangers over VHF with your boat name; avoiding cheesy, suggestive and clichéd is always a good start. I like your idea of respecting your home town, lovely around there and great people but Whaley wanderer is all I got.

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

think of one, then load Canal Plan's boat listing page and do a search for it and see how original it is. (eg. Kingfisher, Meander, etc.)

I'm disappointed to find that the new name for my boat isn't as unique as I'd hoped. She is going into dry dock tomorrow so the plan is to rename some time this week. I'm wondering what people do in terms of signwriting the new name - I'm removing the old name before the renaming, but presumably there's no rush to get the new name written on the bote?

Interestingly, having removed the old name and a layer of paint on one side I've found the original signwriting underneath.

59 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

As with all boats. Imagine if you had to broadcast to strangers over VHF with your boat name; avoiding cheesy, suggestive and clichéd is always a good start. I like your idea of respecting your home town, lovely around there and great people but Whaley wanderer is all I got.

^^^This^^^

Imagine being the owner for the boat I saw in Brum a couple of years ago, trying to tell the PLA bod your boat name "Sloake Hunt" over a crackly radio. 

Oh how they would laugh. 

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

^^^This^^^

Imagine being the owner for the boat I saw in Brum a couple of years ago, trying to tell the PLA bod your boat name "Sloake Hunt" over a crackly radio. 

Oh how they would laugh. 

Nahhh - They would just expect you to turn up half an hour late

We renamed out boat KELPIE because we are Scottish, live near the Kelpies and have moored our Sea Otter there often. We are quite surprised how many boaters in Englandshire have no idea what the kelpies are. We have had "something to do with fish" . that would be kippers, "Seaweed". that would be kelp. "After our dog" He does look a bit like the kelpie breed. We had one chap at Stone who when he saw the boat name as it approached the lock proceeded to tell me what the Kelpies are. It was a load of mince and he took some convincing that perhaps we actually knew what the kelpies are. Its a good talking point and we have a vinyl of a kelpie head (from one of Iains photos) on the side and folk seem to like it. 

haggis

Edited by haggis

Please don't make up a name extolling the virtues of just how slow you can go.

Nothing more frustrating than being in a queue of boats doing <2mph on a broad deep canal, following a boat called Trundlemere or suchlike, who steadfastly refuses to allow boats past.

George