Worst boat names

blackrose

Featured Posts

29 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

See, its not just the Welsh that use "unknown" words !

It always pays to have a short boat name particularly a yacht. Our last yacht named llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch sank before we could finish the Mayday call.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, monkeyhanger said:

Who, in their right mind, would call their both that--perhaps twice?

Who, in their right mind, would feel the need to refer to that activity to another person and therefore require a word for it at all?!?

(*applies to many, many words I learnt at university...)

20 hours ago, monkeyhanger said:

There's a wide boat which hangs around the East End of London also called "Wuff Bark Donkey". I chuckle when I see it, but I can't work it out.

Must be the same one. Maybe I'm misremembering it. Not ate what's to work out, beyond it being pleasingly daft! 

Can't believe I haven't mentioned my boat's name. Which is terrible (came with the boat). 

Yeaton Rant

I mean, come on. A rant is, from what I've been told, a market town fair, and Yeaton is an old market town from near where the boat hails from. Still. Rubbish name. I removed the decals, but must get round to renaming it some time. Plenty of names to avoid in this thread! 

20 hours ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

Who, in their right mind, would feel the need to refer to that activity to another person and therefore require a word for it at all?!?

(*applies to many, many words I learnt at university...)

Was oft told by my Mum, "stop snurging, use your hanky". I haven't checked urban dictionary, I know what it means. 

29 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Was oft told by my Mum, "stop snurging, use your hanky". I haven't checked urban dictionary, I know what it means. 

You don’t, if you think a hanky has any relevance. 

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

You don’t, if you think a hanky has any relevance. 

Of course it has relevance. Maybe I of to translate into newspeak, pacifically it's a corruption of its original meaning, "to sniff". ? This nonsense makes me go nucular. 

• Greenie 2

44 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Are boar theres northin wrong with noorfolk   http://www.norfolkdialect.com/glossary04.htm

We visited some folk there once and they were a bit late arriving home. She said “Sorry we’re late, we bin to snaarn” 

We said “Pardon?”

She replied “Snaarn! We bin to snaarn”

We said “Sorry? Still not got it...”

She looked at us as if we were daft and said “SNE-TTER-TON! We bin to Snaarn Market”. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Are boar theres northin wrong with noorfolk   http://www.norfolkdialect.com/glossary04.htm

Swmbo originally  came from Wickhambrook. A strange accent would appear when reading bedtime stories to the grandspawn. 

1 hour ago, Jim Riley said:

Swmbo originally  came from Wickhambrook. A strange accent would appear when reading bedtime stories to the grandspawn. 

That beant Nooorfolk boar that bee suffook

Edited by ditchcrawler

On 15/12/2019 at 15:56, Jim Riley said:

Rice? Mardy sutherner. We used proper ammo, black peas. A delicacy unheard of much beyond Rochdale and the surrounding towns. We would have had his beady eye out. 

There is a reason black peas are limited to a small area, no bugger else wants them :)

black peas salt and vinegar was one of the oddest snacks I ever had

3 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

There is a reason black peas are limited to a small area, no bugger else wants them :)

black peas salt and vinegar was one of the oddest snacks I ever had

By black peas I assume you mean what we in the even further north know as "Carlins" eaten mainly on "Carlin Sunday" (the 4th in Lent).

23 minutes ago, Jerra said:

By black peas I assume you mean what we in the even further north know as "Carlins" eaten mainly on "Carlin Sunday" (the 4th in Lent).

I dunno, I do know I won't rush back to sample them again, they came from a market stall in a village north of Manchester somewhere