Worst boat names

blackrose

Featured Posts

On 22/10/2019 at 15:40, Athy said:

I'm surprised at some people's reaction to that name. Most people in this country would associate 'Isis' with an Oxfordshire river (or part thereof) rather than a bunch of deranged terrorists.

Some older readers, of course, might think of an upmarket Morris saloon.

I ran one of these for twelve years. Picked it up for 180 quid in 1976.  Empire green it was, 2639cc, six cylinders. Big bench leather seats.  1956 series1. 

Crossply tyres, it cornered like the Queen Mary, vague steering, you really had to concentrate!  I pulled a caravan with it for a while, but got fed up with stumping up for 4 star petrol  when it was only doing 17 mpg.

Eventually I sold it to a guy in Reading whom had great hopes of restoring her -it had stood in my garden for 15 years- but the last I saw of it was when someone posted a picture of it looking sad and dejected on a street in Birmingham.  UUO 433 was its number.

43 minutes ago, Tunnelman51 said:

I ran one of these for twelve years. Picked it up for 180 quid in 1976.  Empire green it was, 2639cc, six cylinders. Big bench leather seats.  1956 series1. 

Crossply tyres, it cornered like the Queen Mary, vague steering, you really had to concentrate!  I pulled a caravan with it for a while, but got fed up with stumping up for 4 star petrol  when it was only doing 17 mpg.

Eventually I sold it to a guy in Reading whom had great hopes of restoring her -it had stood in my garden for 15 years- but the last I saw of it was when someone posted a picture of it looking sad and dejected on a street in Birmingham.  UUO 433 was its number.

UO Originally when new registered by Devon county council.

• 1 month later...

Whilst on the subject of ISIS:

Although the Boat Race crews are the best-known, the universities both field reserve crews. The reserves race takes place on the same day as the main race. The Oxford men's reserve crew is called Isis (after the Isis, a section of the River Thames which passes through Oxford), and the Cambridge reserve men's crew is called Goldie (the name comes from rower and Boat Club president John Goldie, 1849–1896, after whom the Goldie Boathouse is named). The women's reserve crews are Osiris (Oxford) and Blondie (Cambridge).

From Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boat_Race

I've heard that signwriters are getting brisk business from owners of boats named 'Jeremy' -although I suppose they could just paint out the first two letters, then people would think that the boat was named after a cognac.

26 minutes ago, Athy said:

I've heard that signwriters are getting brisk business from owners of boats named 'Jeremy' -although I suppose they could just paint out the first two letters, then people would think that the boat was named after a cognac.

Some one called Martin?

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

I used to be an inspector for the Independent Schools Inspection Service.  I see it's been renamed the Independent Schools Inspectorate.

We had the school board man living just around the corner from us. He was just like Blakey in On the buses, stalking around during the day with a clip board looking for kids not at school. He was a pain, when playing truant we had to make big detours around his house.  We sometimes shot rice at him with our pea shooters from behind hedges.

52 minutes ago, Athy said:

Has Clarkson put his foot in it again then? ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

We had the school board man living just around the corner from us. He was just like Blakey in On the buses, stalking around during the day with a clip board looking for kids not at school. He was a pain, when playing truant we had to make big detours around his house.  We sometimes shot rice at him with our pea shooters from behind hedges.

Rice? Mardy sutherner. We used proper ammo, black peas. A delicacy unheard of much beyond Rochdale and the surrounding towns. We would have had his beady eye out. 

Edited by Jim Riley
  • Greenie 1

I have to admit I didn't understand what was so offensive with the name 'Isis' for a narrowboat. Overthinking the thing, I suspected there was some obscure characteristic of the God that had become politically incorrect. Given that 'Isis' is the alternative name for the upper Thames from source to that curious outflow of the River Thame at Dorchester, it seems quite fitting. Would anyone change the name of their boat 'Meander' / 'Me and 'er' if some extremist group suddenly adopted that name? 

Speaking of politically incorrect, a GRP cruiser near Wallingford named 'Minced Moorhen' usually makes me chuckle when we cruise by. That said, I can't imagine naming my own boat that!

On 26/10/2019 at 20:50, Tunnelman51 said:

It was issued with a new log book in 2012. Not taxed as a heritage vehicle so not on the road 

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/10/2019 at 16:05, captain flint said:

The worst name I've seen, so, so bad it's almost good, it's Canality J'aime

Hard to think of anything more contrived, and the fact it should be Canality Je t'aime - but then nobody would get the calamity Jane reference - makes it even more heroically bad, like a desperate rhyme!

Apologies if the owners are on here, but I'm kind of fond of it in its way, the canal would be poorer for its absence. 

I saw another name that made me laugh, but which I like, on a very traditional looking old working boat, painted a sobre dark green, with carriage lines, and an old school, curved, painted name, that on closer inspection reads, 'Wuff Bark Donkey'. 

There's a wide boat which hangs around the East End of London also called "Wuff Bark Donkey". I chuckle when I see it, but I can't work it out.

A few years ago I shared a lock on the lower Thames with a boat called "Snurger". I asked the owner if he had named his boat--"no"--so I asked him if he knew what the name meant---again "no". By now he was interested and wanted to know the meaning. I wasn't prepared to shout across the lock, so I had to walk around and quietly speak to him. After his initial shock, and then hilarity, we boarded our boats and left the lock. Imagine my surprise to see "Snurger 11" moored up below the lock.