Worst boat names

blackrose

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Not a name but I went past a cruiser the other day that had male and female puppets, next to each other, hanging from their necks in the window. Looked quite realistic, their necks were bent, and the rope looked to have been carefully made into hangman's knots. 

Hmmm...  I saw a boat back in the summer on the Staffs& Worcs near Tixall.  Where the couple's first names had once been lovingly inscribed it had been changed to "Mark and VACANCY"

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Not a name but I went past a cruiser the other day that had male and female puppets, next to each other, hanging from their necks in the window. Looked quite realistic, their necks were bent, and the rope looked to have been carefully made into hangman's knots. 

I tied the nooses on the dolls that hung in Phil Speight’s office at Dadford’s Wharf many years ago now. I lettered their boat too, many years ago.....

On ‎06‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 14:31, malp said:

Passed a narrowboat on the southern end of the GU last year called "The Slowness of Cows".   This rather amused me, so I wouldn't actually nominate it as a worst name.

first trip that we did on Honeystreet we went from Gayton down to Oxford and back.  NOrth bound on the Oxford we did the Napton Flight with the "Slowness of Cows" who was a single hander.   I learnt a few tricks of working locks when short handed watching and helping him!  

47 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yes, they moor near us. I think it's a clever name.

I find most pun names pretty cringeworthy but there used to be a little Waterbug near us called "My Newt" which I found quite acceptable.

5 minutes ago, cougie said:

I think they've a few more puns on the boat too ? If it's the one I'm thinking of. 

Possibly, though I've only exchanged brief conversations with the owners as the boat passed our mooring so I didn't notice anything else. It moors at Cropredy Marina, I think.

On 18/10/2019 at 17:47, Neil2 said:

Hmmm...  I saw a boat back in the summer on the Staffs& Worcs near Tixall.  Where the couple's first names had once been lovingly inscribed it had been changed to "Mark and VACANCY"

bloody hell I'm sure i passed that yesterday.

On 14/08/2019 at 16:22, Machpoint005 said:

Could be "O for Gawd's sake" I suppose.

I remember them from music rehearsals back in the year dot, but most scores don't go beyond about G or H!

The alphabet as far as I remember it:

A for 'Orses

B for mutton

C forth Highlanders

D for enshul

E ?

F for vescence

G ?

H b for beauty

I for Novello

J ?

K?

L for leather

M?

N

O?

P?

Q for a bus

R ?

S?

T for 2

U ?

V?

W?

X for breakfast

Y?

Z?

Ah! Here it is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockney_Alphabet

On 12/08/2019 at 15:21, blackrose said:

I know the topic's been done a few times before, but here's new one for the collection that went past me today...

Hope he's not a forum member! ?

IMG_20190812_151539_8~2.jpg

I expect he once had a girl friend called Iris and fell out with her and swapped the R for an S.

I'm surprised at some people's reaction to that name. Most people in this country would associate 'Isis' with an Oxfordshire river (or part thereof) rather than a bunch of deranged terrorists.

Some older readers, of course, might think of an upmarket Morris saloon.

Edited by Athy

On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 17:47, Neil2 said:

............ the couple's first names had once been lovingly inscribed it had been changed to "Mark and VACANCY"

I appreciate the tradition of the operators names displayed on a narrowboat . That's  fine.

However some cruisers are named after the owners with the  partners names combined in one made up name . I hate that idea .  It was one of the things that actually put me off view  one boat that was for sale  - which was good thing as the eventual new owners found multiple issues. 

2 hours ago, Athy said:

I'm surprised at some people's reaction to that name. Most people in this country would associate 'Isis' with an Oxfordshire river (or part thereof) rather than a bunch of deranged terrorists.

Some older readers, of course, might think of an upmarket Morris saloon.

I suspect you may be surprised if you actually asked most people 

I'd never heard of the Oxfordshire river before I joined this forum but I associated the name Isis with the Egyptian god. Probably, rather tenuously, because I had a Hungarian girlfriend from Szombathely which has a reconstructed Roman temple dedicated to her. (Dedicated to the Egyptian god that is, not my ex girlfriend.) 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

I appreciate the tradition of the operators names displayed on a narrowboat . That's  fine.

However some cruisers are named after the owners with the  partners names combined in one made up name . I hate that idea .  It was one of the things that actually put me off view  one boat that was for sale  - which was good thing as the eventual new owners found multiple issues. 

Oh I dunno, what's wrong with:

Les & Anya

Mitchell & Lynn

Ellis & Dee

And that gay couple Kurt & Rod...

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, Neil2 said:

Oh I dunno, what's wrong with:

Les & Anya

Mitchell & Lynn

Ellis & Dee

And that gay couple Kurt & Rod...

Jak & Norrie?

I suppose Mitchell & Lynn would soon get tyred of the comments.

21 hours ago, tree monkey said:

I suspect you may be surprised if you actually asked most people 

Possibly, but I haven't time at the moment to ask most people.  Tell you what, you make a start and I'll take over sometime next year.:D

17 minutes ago, Athy said:

Jak & Norrie?

I suppose Mitchell & Lynn would soon get tyred of the comments.

Possibly, but I haven't time at the moment to ask most people.  Tell you what, you make a start and I'll take over sometime next year.:D

You started it :)

• Haha 1