Worst boat names

blackrose

Featured Posts

16 hours ago, robtheplod said:

Whilst we were looking around one boat was called 'Creeping Death' …. bit odd?!!

It's a share boat so it would have to go to the vote!

I think it's still for sale.  Good name for the right buyer.  Didn't have the paint job to go with it though.

4 minutes ago, Grassman said:

Was it this one?

https://www.greathaywoodboatsales.co.uk/shop/creeping-death/

Surely a name like that would put off a lot of potential buyers.

What would put me off more is when the names of the owners or the whole family are painted on the side.

• Greenie 1

Far Canal (a few of these about including one on the Celebrity Barging prog).

And also... Sloake Hunt, seen in Birmingham and one of the most offensive things I’ve ever seen in public, never mind on a boat. What sort of moron...

(apologies for language if you’re a bit sensitive)

Edited by Proper Charlie

22 hours ago, frangar said:

Had that shouted to me in crowded pub once.....??

When referring to our past dogs I sometimes used to say,'look at dopey Doris there'. 

We have had rescue dogs for a number of years, so when the committee decided to get a couple of Jack Russell new borns, one had to be named Doris. So we have Doris, who is not so dopey as it happens. 

Just saying.

Always wanted a pet to be named Alan. I see an advert on telly where the dog is named such.

There was a boat moored near me recently named "que sera sera". Which is pretty unimaginative in general, but what made it ironic was that on the roof there was no fewer than 6 CCTV cameras and something like a dozen motion sensing security lights which seared your retinas as you walked past at night.

When Mrs. Athy and I were arguing about discussing the configuration of our new boat, we thought of calling it Compro on one side and Mise on the other.

Is that "Beefer" as in beefing, or complaining, about something?

On 13/08/2019 at 09:42, Proper Charlie said:

And also... Sloake Hunt, seen in Birmingham and one of the most offensive things I’ve ever seen in public, never mind on a boat. What sort of moron...

Agreed.

And I find the Registered at Bow Locks thing a bit tedious too.

I like the way that fatarse in post 33 is moored by two NO MOORING signs!

1 hour ago, sirweste said:

There was a boat moored near me recently named "que sera sera". Which is pretty unimaginative in general, but what made it ironic was that on the roof there was no fewer than 6 CCTV cameras and something like a dozen motion sensing security lights which seared your retinas as you walked past at night.

Well if its the Que Sera Sera I'm not surprised it is covered in security stuff!

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Athy said:

When Mrs. Athy and I were arguing about discussing the configuration of our new boat, we thought of calling it Compro on one side and Mise on the other.

Is that "Beefer" as in beefing, or complaining, about something?

No, as in 'B for boat'

1 hour ago, Mike Tee said:

Following intense discussions / arguments about what to call our boat, I said if we can't come to an agreement I'll call it 'Beefer'

'B for boat'

A friend's boat is called beefer,  took me months to ask what the name meant, the look she gave me I remember to this day :)

4 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

No, as in 'B for boat'

:clapping:

Most ingenious! You're bound to get lots of people asking you about its meaning when you take the boat out.

2 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

A friend's boat is called beefer,  took me months to ask what the name meant, the look she gave me I remember to this day :)

I suppose that the reasoning is not unlike that behind our choice of name for our last boat, 'Batto'.

Just now, tree monkey said:

There is also 

Deefer for dog

Ceefer for cat

And so on, I'm sure you can imagine :)

When I were a lad there was a joke alphabet  which went around. From memory it started:

A for 'orses

B for mutton

C for miles

D for dumb

F for vescence

etc.

This of course would not work nowadays, as so few modern people know what mutton is.

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

When I were a lad there was a joke alphabet  which went around. From memory it started:

A for 'orses

B for mutton

C for miles

D for dumb

F for vescence

etc.

This of course would not work nowadays, as so few modern people know what mutton is.

I know what mutton is and you can keep it, foul greasy meat.

Does that make me one of your none modern folk? Not sure I'm altogether happy about that ;)