Worst boat names

blackrose

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Phil. said:

We have seen this boat a few times, and nothing wrong with that name. The fact a group of psychopaths have hijacked the name of a Egyptian god is irrelevant. Personally I would rather our media used the derogatory term Daesh, especially as apparently, the twats it refers too don't like it.

I never conected the name with the Loonies the typically Egyptian ornamentation below the name made me automatically think of the mythical god Isis.

• Greenie 1

51 minutes ago, Phil. said:

We have seen this boat a few times, and nothing wrong with that name. The fact a group of psychopaths have hijacked the name of a Egyptian god is irrelevant. 

I disagree. I think it's very relevant and if it was my boat I'd definitely change the name. Just my personal view.

11 minutes ago, Ray T said:

I'm sure ISIS lock was in existence before any terrorist organisation used the name.

If course, but the lock or bit of the Thames around Oxford isn't what most people think of now when they see or hear that name.

Edited by blackrose

Whilst we were looking around one boat was called 'Creeping Death' …. bit odd?!!

2 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I disagree. I think it's very relevant and if it was my boat I'd definitely change the name. Just my personal view.

It's a share boat so it would have to go to the vote!

• Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Whilst we were looking around one boat was called 'Creeping Death' …. bit odd?!!

not if you're a fan of Cliff Burton era Metallica

also to OP, shouldn't the nutjobs be ISIL not ISIS ? i'd Google it but I don't want that in my search history (dons tinfoil hat) in case THEY're watching ;)

• Happy 1

26 minutes ago, blackrose said:

If course, but the lock or bit of the Thames around Oxford isn't what most people think of now when they see or hear that name.

Yes I know it's a personal choice, but by kowtowing to Daesh gives them validity, at the expense of thousands of years of history. For that reason, I hope the owner never changes it, and he is less likely to do so, if people are educated as to the real meaning of the word, and that it does not belong to the wackadoodles who have purloined it.

• Greenie 4

I have a couple of potential entries. A few years ago, just after the tunnel on the T&M but before Rugeley going North, there was a small fibreglass cruiser called R Swipe. Ten years or so ago at Barbridge there was a shortish narrowboat called "All day breakfast" which I considered to be strange, although if you like breakfast then I suppose it could be a simile for something nice?

My previous boat was called Isis.  I do wonder how often my name would pop up in GCHQ if we still had it.  We sold it in 2007, when the name related to an Egyptian deity and not much else.

4 minutes ago, Gipsymac said:

I have a couple of potential entries. A few years ago, just after the tunnel on the T&M but before Rugeley going North, there was a small fibreglass cruiser called R Swipe. Ten years or so ago at Barbridge there was a shortish narrowboat called "All day breakfast" which I considered to be strange, although if you like breakfast then I suppose it could be a simile for something nice?

Yep, I’ve seen the R Swipe you describe. 

Saw a W.Anchor some years ago. 

So bad these were good, sort of...

The Dogs (moored at Bow Locks)

Gay Abandon (Belonged to a homosexual friend, and a very "out" one, when I lived in Cardiff, moored in Penarth Marina)

Cirrhosis of the River (Moored on the Macclesfield Canal)

'Urriup 

Mesothelioma - the medical (latin) name for Asbestosis - the owner claimed to have bought the boat with the compensation payment

3 hours ago, dor said:

My previous boat was called Isis.  I do wonder how often my name would pop up in GCHQ if we still had it.  We sold it in 2007, when the name related to an Egyptian deity and not much else.

The Isis in the photo is a share boat.  One of the former owners told me they paid for a mooring on the Thames using a credit card, and following the instructions on the sign put Isis as their reference.  A couple of days later they were contacted by the credit card company because the US authorities had been on, asking why they were funding terrorists.  They pointed out that Isis was a boat, the money wasn’t going to Isis it was going to the local council in Marlow, and you can’t buy many weapons for £6.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

15 hours ago, robtheplod said:

It's a share boat so it would have to go to the vote!

Was it this one?

https://www.greathaywoodboatsales.co.uk/shop/creeping-death/

Surely a name like that would put off a lot of potential buyers.