2 weeks boating in my electric boat

peterboat

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Where are all these second hand lithium batteries coming from?

Perhaps a lot of EV's are being crashed (why), or are people ripping out the electric motors and batteries and surreptitiously slipping diesels into them? ?

Its in the blurb ex electric bus batteries, we bought 60 of them, in this world its not what you know but who you know, and I know some people with batteries?

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

Its in the blurb ex electric bus batteries, we bought 60 of them, in this world its not what you know but who you know, and I know some people with batteries?

Yes but why are they getting rid of the batteries , was the bus crashed, or scrapped because it was found not to be cost effective?

Just now, cuthound said:

Yes but why are they getting rid of the batteries , was the bus crashed, or scrapped because it was found not to be cost effective?

The batteries are 20% used so they have replaced them, I am currently charging them I put in 8.4KWH and the 9 batteries would in theory hold 10.8 kwh so I will see how much I put into them? For me it doesnt matter I dont charge to 100% anyway, so we will see how this first batch goes on

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

The batteries are 20% used so they have replaced them, I am currently charging them I put in 8.4KWH and the 9 batteries would in theory hold 10.8 kwh so I will see how much I put into them? For me it doesnt matter I dont charge to 100% anyway, so we will see how this first batch goes on

Ah, so they replace them due to capacity loss.

BT  used to do the same, rate the batteries at 80% capacity, and change when the capacity had fallen by 20%.

Just now, cuthound said:

Ah, so they replace them due to capacity loss.

BT  used to do the same, rate the batteries at 80% capacity, and change when the capacity had fallen by 20%.

As long as they all charge up ok they are a bargain, all had some charge in them, [a number were brand new] so I am sure they will do the job in my low stress boat

I've a friend who was buying and selling Lithium batteries from supermarket delivery vans for a while. Apparently the payload was too low to make them viable so they were sold off after a very short period and mostly scrapped. Clearly someone didn't think it through when ordering them. 

2 minutes ago, stegra said:

I've a friend who was buying and selling Lithium batteries from supermarket delivery vans for a while. Apparently the payload was too low to make them viable so they were sold off after a very short period and mostly scrapped. Clearly someone didn't think it through when ordering them. 

Smiths electric vans great idea but as you say no payload, my mate has one in central london no tax no mot no problems

9 minutes ago, peterboat said:

No electric commercial vehicles made before 2014 no mot and no tax I have one

I'm surprised that a vehicle with brakes, steering and tyres doesn't need an MOT regardless of how it's powered. I'm sure it'll be reintroduced retroactively after the first fatal accident due to poor maintenance.

5 hours ago, peterboat said:

You can get very clean kero from crown oils,

Not as clean as ULS Diesel though. According to Crown oils their "clean" Kero has a much higher sulphur content than ULSD. It used to be the case that Kero had a lower sulphur content than red diesel so was better in Webasto & Eberspachers, it is now no longer the case.

1 hour ago, stegra said:

Maybe these are replacing them https://eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2019/04/e-bike-sector-gears-up-to-revolutionise-last-mile-deliveries/

• Greenie 1

58 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Not as clean as ULS Diesel though. According to Crown oils their "clean" Kero has a much higher sulphur content than ULSD. It used to be the case that Kero had a lower sulphur content than red diesel so was better in Webasto & Eberspachers, it is now no longer the case.

They emailed me saying it was uls, not that it matters for the little I use which is the issue with bio diesel it takes in to much water