2 weeks boating in my electric boat

peterboat

Featured Posts

In this life I have learnt that its better to preempt a problem than react to it, so I have done that, its not my problem that instead of doing something, you are all whinging about it not being possible! Well its possible but you dont like it, so instead of still looking while you have the time to get together a solution that will fulfill the requirements of the future, you keep on telling me my solution that works for me wont work for others ? well it does plenty of others only cruise a few hours a day and enjoy it.

I have finished now!! thursday I going on a five hour cruise which wont work because you lot say it cant! enjoy bowhauling your boats in the future whilst I enjoy my solution

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

All that sulphur and burning pits. Clearly using fossil fuels. It will be closed down before you get there.

No it will not! It will be adapted for use as a universal energy source and, in those parts of the world still not benefiting from global warming, will run free District Heating schemes for all buildings. Not yet worked out how boaters will get in on the act . . . nor, indeed, caravanners.

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

In this life I have learnt that its better to preempt a problem than react to it, so I have done that, its not my problem that instead of doing something, you are all whinging about it not being possible! Well its possible but you dont like it, so instead of still looking while you have the time to get together a solution that will fulfill the requirements of the future, you keep on telling me my solution that works for me wont work for others ? well it does plenty of others only cruise a few hours a day and enjoy it.

I have finished now!! thursday I going on a five hour cruise which wont work because you lot say it cant! enjoy bowhauling your boats in the future whilst I enjoy my solution

I admire what you are trying to achieve, but I would be interested to see a carbon audit for the production of all the assets you own and use, and for the consumables that are necessary to live this lifestyle.

For most folk it is far from clear what we can do to really make a difference without burning more carbon to achieve those aims.  My daughter lives in central London with 2 kids and dearly wants to help ensure they have a viable future, and wants to trade in her SUV for a small EV.   Trouble is that she understands that the longer she puts off the change the more carbon efficient will be the production of the car and the batteries that she eventually chooses to own. 

• Greenie 2

37 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

I admire what you are trying to achieve, but I would be interested to see a carbon audit for the production of all the assets you own and use, and for the consumables that are necessary to live this lifestyle.

For most folk it is far from clear what we can do to really make a difference without burning more carbon to achieve those aims.  My daughter lives in central London with 2 kids and dearly wants to help ensure they have a viable future, and wants to trade in her SUV for a small EV.   Trouble is that she understands that the longer she puts off the change the more carbon efficient will be the production of the car and the batteries that she eventually chooses to own. 

No matter what man does or makes, it all adds to the chaos on the planet and cannot be reversed.

11 hours ago, Murflynn said:

I need and the pollution resulting from the manufacturing of her existing vehicle  has already been produced, whereas the manufacture of the EV will release more pollution.

It is never as clear cut as some would have us believe.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, cuthound said:

I need and the pollution resulting from the manufacturing of her existing vehicle  has already been produced, whereas the manufacture of the EV will release more pollution.

It is never as clear cut as some would have us believe.

That's why I'm keeping my old banger as long as I can rather than buying an EV. Well, that and the fact that EVs still cost £silly. Other than that an EV would be perfect for my pattern of motoring.

The boat is a different matter but the many likely, possibly insurmountable, difficulties that will arise if/when ICE propulsion is banned worries me not. I think the boat ownership stage of my life will have ended by then.

43 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

f/when ICE propulsion is banned

But this has never been suggested as far as i know. The proposal is “zero emissions”. 

Zero emissions can be achieved by diesels running on bio diesel or glycerine. 

IF you argue it right. 

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

But this has never been suggested as far as i know. The proposal is “zero emissions”. 

IF you argue it right. 

This may surprise you and I have said this from the start when Glycerine was mentioned as long as the NOX, SOX and particulates were stopped it would work, I am sure a trap of some sort could be devised that could be removed and cleaned it would work. The algi method of production would be best as land is to valuable to waste on producing it so their you go start filling in your consultations

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

IF you argue it right. 

I  doubt very much that any ICE will ever be "zero emissions". No Bio fuel is "zero emission", they all produce CO2.

Edited by Flyboy

22 minutes ago, peterboat said:

This may surprise you and I have said this from the start when Glycerine was mentioned as long as the NOX, SOX and particulates were stopped it would work, I am sure a trap of some sort could be devised that could be removed and cleaned it would work. The algi method of production would be best as land is to valuable to waste on producing it so their you go start filling in your consultations

Glycerine is not "zero emission" when burnt. It will emit CO2 & H20.

43 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

IF you argue it right. 

Almost impossible to argue it's zero emissions,  any internal combustion  engine has to exhaust the result of the bang. 

You could argue it's reduced emissions and you offset the rest in some way but even that's dodgy unless you offset the production and transport emissions, never mind the pollution from production itself

As seems to happen a lot with this subject there are two different problems being mashed together and confused under the banner of environmentally friendly.

Diesel engines produce soot and nitrous oxides. Bad for peoples health living in the neighbourhood of where they are being run and they die. It is the reason for congestion charges in London and the clean air consultation / fait accompli currently being run in Sheffield and Rotherham. Having your diesel engine running on bio diesel of whatever sort, rather than squashed dinosaur diesel makes little to no difference to this. Making the engine cleaner in terms of less soot and NOx being emitted is better for your neighbours.

Diesel engines burning squashed dinosaur oil increases the total amount of CO2 in the atmosphere, leading to the global warming and everyone dies problem. Running the engine on carbon that was recently in the atmosphere, then turned in to a plant, then turned in to oil and burnt in the engine over a short span of time is relatively carbon neutral and doesn't add to the global warming problem (much, dependng). It doesn't do anything about the people around you coughing their lungs out from the soot, NOx etc. 

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1

33 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

As seems to happen a lot with this subject there are two different problems being mashed together and confused under the banner of environmentally friendly.

Diesel engines produce soot and nitrous oxides. Bad for peoples health living in the neighbourhood of where they are being run and they die. It is the reason for congestion charges in London and the clean air consultation / fait accompli currently being run in Sheffield and Rotherham. Having your diesel engine running on bio diesel of whatever sort, rather than squashed dinosaur diesel makes little to no difference to this. Making the engine cleaner in terms of less soot and NOx being emitted is better for your neighbours.

Diesel engines burning squashed dinosaur oil increases the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere, leading to the global warming and everyone dies problem. Running the engine on carbon that was recently in the atmosphere, then turned in to a plant, then turned in to oil and burnt in the engine over a short span of time is relatively carbon neutral and doesn't add to the global warming problem (much, dependng). It doesn't do anything about the people around you coughing their lungs out from the soot, NOx etc. 

Jen

I totally agree, but I find it laughable that we keep being told we're going to be "emission free" . It's just not going to happen. We can be more environmentally friendly though.

Edited by Flyboy

• 4 weeks later...

Resurrecting this thread for a bit, I have acquired more and different batteries for my big boat it will have 30 x 36 volt LifePo4s, they will be 2 x 15 in parallel then in series to make a 72 volt and 36KWH [nominal] for drive, it will increase the range and power available.  I am adding another 3 solar panels to take me up to 4.5 KW. The only other thing to do is fit the new controller when it arrives, which should help with power as well

• Greenie 2

9 hours ago, peterboat said:

Resurrecting this thread for a bit, I have acquired more and different batteries for my big boat it will have 30 x 36 volt LifePo4s, they will be 2 x 15 in parallel then in series to make a 72 volt and 36KWH [nominal] for drive, it will increase the range and power available.  I am adding another 3 solar panels to take me up to 4.5 KW. The only other thing to do is fit the new controller when it arrives, which should help with power as well

Can you give us some idea of the costs inc fitting and what range that will give you? How will you fit them in?

(We all like a trailblazer!)

4 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I don't know. @peterboat is encouraging everyone to go to electric boating, then he buys up all the batteries and solar panels, so no one else can get any.

Jen?

These batteries were a bargain Jen, £2500 for them ex electric bus batteries, I have them on charge and will know how good they are by the amount of KWHs they take, I am hoping for 80% capacity, but one or two of them were brand new in the packs so might do better.

The motor,  controller and other bits and bobs were £1000, so at the moment I have 3.5k in the project, apart from solar which I had 2.5KW anyway so I will have bought an extra 2KW of.

The ten 12 volt drive batteries have been used as follows 2 on the domestic bank 4 on my Mega truck and 4 sold, so these 36 volt jobbies better work

55 minutes ago, peterboat said:

These batteries were a bargain Jen, £2500 for them ex electric bus batteries, I have them on charge and will know how good they are by the amount of KWHs they take, I am hoping for 80% capacity, but one or two of them were brand new in the packs so might do better.

The motor,  controller and other bits and bobs were £1000, so at the moment I have 3.5k in the project, apart from solar which I had 2.5KW anyway so I will have bought an extra 2KW of.

The ten 12 volt drive batteries have been used as follows 2 on the domestic bank 4 on my Mega truck and 4 sold, so these 36 volt jobbies better work

What's your thinking behind running your Whispengen on Kero when you previously said you were running it on Bio fuel ? Kerosene has a much higher sulphur content than ULS Diesel  (red or white).  Bio, Kero and Diesel all  produce about the same CO2 but Bio has lower NOX.  With your latest upgrade you won't need your Whispergen anyway will you ?

1 hour ago, Flyboy said:

What's your thinking behind running your Whispengen on Kero when you previously said you were running it on Bio fuel ? Kerosene has a much higher sulphur content than ULS Diesel  (red or white).  Bio, Kero and Diesel all  produce about the same CO2 but Bio has lower NOX.  With your latest upgrade you won't need your Whispergen anyway will you ?

You can get very clean kero from crown oils, but I suspect I wont need it as I can switch all my solar to domestic, What its really handy for though is heating when I have been away from the boat for a while in winter, it produces 5 kw of hot water so it can rapidly heat up the boat, I dont think the whispergen produces as much NOX because its a pressure jet boiler so it doesnt produce the heat like a direct injection diesel engine  does on combustion, its also has oxygen sensors and all sorts of gadgets to reduce emissions.

5 hours ago, peterboat said:

Where are all these second hand lithium batteries coming from?

Perhaps a lot of EV's are being crashed (why), or are people ripping out the electric motors and batteries and surreptitiously slipping diesels into them? ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Where are all these second hand lithium batteries coming from?

Perhaps a lot of EV's are being crashed (why), or are people ripping out the electric motors and batteries and surreptitiously slipping diesels into them? ?

https://eveurope.eu/en/product-category/used-parts/used-lithium-batteries-en-2/