2 weeks boating in my electric boat

peterboat

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Here at Lynch Motors we work with customers around the globe, providing innovative, electric motor solutions tailored to their individual requirements. Take a ..
And Saietta Cedric Lynch who designed the motor for the above company is the chief engineer of this company, He has been helping my mate James do his 70 x 13 electric boat, he is just looking at doing the full package very clever guy google him

So what's the cost of this install?

Looking at the US prices for the Marlin motor its about $7000 - plus batteries and what ever you need to charge it.

2 minutes ago, StephenA said:

So what's the cost of this install?

Looking at the US prices for the Marlin motor its about $7000 - plus batteries and what ever you need to charge it.

No Idea I did mine myself in both my electric boats. In my first boat I used an agni motor with controller and throttle  which was about £1300 and a Lynch gearbox which was £700 so a couple of grand plus batteries etc

32 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Really ?

Yes, really.
Several times in this thread you have ridiculed and criticised peoples comments (as above) but again you have failed to provide an answer. So I ask again, how do YOU think the problem is going to be solved? I am quite sure that my street won't be the only one affected.

25 minutes ago, peterboat said:

You see they think this is our problem, but it isnt, what will happen is the big stick will make owning ICE cars very very expensive! at that point they will realise that its their own problem, and they will find a nice electric bus to ride on, or walk, or even an electric bike ? Of course they could bite the bullet and buy an electric car?

I see your rude attitude prevalent in the Brexit thread is now creeping into here! Perhaps one day you might realise that being polite gets far better results.

17 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

It's not even just that - I offered up one example of a solution and because it's not a magic unicorn cure all panacea he wants to play silly sods, well he can play silly sods on his own cos I give zero... err.... cares about playing that pointless game. 

Why the rudeness?

I haven't seen any example of a solution that will fit into my street or even my area.
And what pointless game? Perhaps you haven't noticed that as a Director of a Car Share Club CIC we have just "purchased" a Renault Zoe. So I am not playing "silly sods" as you seem to think.

Edited by Graham Davis

1 minute ago, Graham Davis said:

Yes, really.
Several times in this thread you have ridiculed and criticised peoples comments (as above) but again you have failed to provide an answer. So I ask again, how do YOU think the problem is going to be solved? I am quite sure that my street won't be the only one affected.

No really not gonna happen - no I have not ridiculed anybody - and you can ask till the cows come home - I'm still not playing silly sods with you. 

Oh no that's not quite true I did in fact ridicule you for whining about something that wasn't quite solving your personal problem.

So let me say this again just once then your on you own; I suggested ONE OPTION, just one as a possible solution in certain cases - I DID NOT say that it was going to save the world and be the only solution ever needed. If you are not satisfied with the option I have suggested then I suggest you do your own research. 

If you want to argue for the sake of arguing then I am not you gurl. EVER. I have no interest in spats for the sake of spats, you have other friends who accommodate you for that. 

• Love 1

14 minutes ago, peterboat said:

No Idea I did mine myself in both my electric boats. In my first boat I used an agni motor with controller and throttle  which was about £1300 and a Lynch gearbox which was £700 so a couple of grand plus batteries etc

so 2K plus another few K for batteries and panels and controllers? I still suspect that a normal narrowboat will not have the surface area needed to give the daily range many people do in them.

I looked at a street in Macclesfield today...just your average Victorian 2 up/2down terraces with on street parking....nose to tail with cars both sides...and roughly 10-15 cars per street lamp...how would those cars all get a charge overnight without massive infrastructure being installed?  Pavements were narrow so bollards would obstruct wheelchairs/prams etc. 

9 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

No really not gonna happen - no I have not ridiculed anybody - and you can ask till the cows come home - I'm still not playing silly sods with you. 

Oh no that's not quite true I did in fact ridicule you for whining about something that wasn't quite solving your personal problem.

So let me say this again just once then your on you own; I suggested ONE OPTION, just one as a possible solution in certain cases - I DID NOT say that it was going to save the world and be the only solution ever needed. If you are not satisfied with the option I have suggested then I suggest you do your own research. 

If you want to argue for the sake of arguing then I am not you gurl. EVER. I have no interest in spats for the sake of spats, you have other friends who accommodate you for that. 

What a nasty response.
Who says this is a personal problem? What about all my neighbours and people throughout the country who live in streets just like mine? Perhaps the truth is you don't have an answer because I haven't seen you state one.
I'm not arguing or having spats with anyone; I want to know what the answer is for people who live in streets like mine.

9 minutes ago, frangar said:

I looked at a street in Macclesfield today...just your average Victorian 2 up/2down terraces with on street parking....nose to tail with cars both sides...and roughly 10-15 cars per street lamp...how would those cars all get a charge overnight without massive infrastructure being installed?  Pavements were narrow so bollards would obstruct wheelchairs/prams etc. 

Exactly!! 
But it appears that Tumshie can't or won't answer that "problem"!

5 minutes ago, StephenA said:

so 2K plus another few K for batteries and panels and controllers? I still suspect that a normal narrowboat will not have the surface area needed to give the daily range many people do in them.

As I repeatably say the government dont care, we do this for pleasure, its not the end of the world if you only do 3 hours cruising or none at all. I enjoy boating but equally I enjoy visiting a new place, so for me anything further on than I walked is a new place so will do me for cruising, I do boating for the slow life it isnt a race, when Jayne retires we will cruise 9 months of the year in small hops enjoying ourself, who knows we may give up our mooring and CC until we cant do it anymore, but nothing will change we will still cruise in small hops enjoying our slow life

• Greenie 1

Just now, peterboat said:

As I repeatably say the government dont care, we do this for pleasure, its not the end of the world if you only do 3 hours cruising or none at all. I enjoy boating but equally I enjoy visiting a new place, so for me anything further on than I walked is a new place so will do me for cruising, I do boating for the slow life it isnt a race, when Jayne retires we will cruise 9 months of the year in small hops enjoying ourself, who knows we may give up our mooring and CC until we cant do it anymore, but nothing will change we will still cruise in small hops enjoying our slow life

3 hours a day will kill the hireboat companies - people are not going to want to take weeks to do the Llangollen.  It's not a race or  some sort of a challenge for us either, but for a lot of people not moving because it's been cloudy for a day or so, or only doing 2-3 hours isn't what they want from canal boating. So the cascade is pretty catastrophic - boat yards close down, marinas close down, C&RT lose even more income and maintenance stops, and your 3 hours a day wont be possible because there wont be a canal network.

14 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

What a nasty response.

It was not a nasty response it was an honest response - you set out to to start a spat and then back peddled to try and look innocent - If you were not trying to be deliberately antagonistic then please explain how I am supposed to be able to solve your problem that you have charging your car on your street? Not to mention why didn't you solve that problem before you bought the car. You're nose is out of joint because I pulled you up for whining about something that you didn't need to be whining about because it wasn't aimed to answer your problems. 

That's it our conversation is done as far as I'm concerned. 

Edited by Tumshie
spelling
  • Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, frangar said:

Did every car have a petrol or diesel pump next to it?  Or do the people there fill up when they need to, like you would with an electric vehicle? Your objections are becoming weirder and weirder.

2 minutes ago, StephenA said:

3 hours a day will kill the hireboat companies - people are not going to want to take weeks to do the Llangollen.  It's not a race or  some sort of a challenge for us either, but for a lot of people not moving because it's been cloudy for a day or so, or only doing 2-3 hours isn't what they want from canal boating. So the cascade is pretty catastrophic - boat yards close down, marinas close down, C&RT lose even more income and maintenance stops, and your 3 hours a day wont be possible because there wont be a canal network.

We have 30 boats or so on the water in our marina, five of them move on a regular basis another 3 once or twice a year the rest just sit around! So how many boats are the same over the system? so the question is will this disaster happen you predict, will tech sort it out? or will people have change over points all over the system? who knows

Just now, Onionman said:

Did every car have a petrol or diesel pump next to it?  Or do the people there fill up when they need to, like you would with an electric vehicle? Your objections are becoming weirder and weirder.

I can refuel my diesel car in 5 minutes which then takes me about 500 miles....just not possible with an EV. Or should I start buying shares in Costa...cos an awful lot of coffee is going to be drunk either waiting for a free charging point or waiting at a service station for the car to charge. 

4 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

It was not a nasty response it was an honest response - you set out to to start a spat and then back peddled to try and look innocent - If you were not trying to be deliberately antagonistic then please explain how I am supposed to be able to solve your problem that you have charging your car on your street? Not to mention why didn't you solve that problem before you bought the car. You're nose is out of joint because I pulled you up for whining about something that you didn't need to be whining about because it wasn't aimed to answer your problems. 

3 minutes ago, Onionman said:

Its all wearing very thin with me to, people have to realise life is their problem and its up to them to sort out those problems. The government has to do something about air quality because the law says so, they have to make hard decisions to keep people alive and healthy, and if that impacts on peoples pleasure and right to pollute so be it, they have to obey the law though and thats the way of the world.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, peterboat said:

We have 30 boats or so on the water in our marina, five of them move on a regular basis another 3 once or twice a year the rest just sit around! So how many boats are the same over the system? so the question is will this disaster happen you predict, will tech sort it out? or will people have change over points all over the system? who knows

But those are ICE - once we've got "all new boats must be electric" then we'll move onto all existing boats must be electric or be scrapped unless they are historic. So then there won't be marinas full of boats that don't move but possibly pay licence money to CRT. The cost of installing charge points over the system is, at the moment, totally prohibitive - imagine upgrading all towpath so it can carry MW rated cabling.

29 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

But it appears that Tumshie can't or won't answer that "problem"!

Thats because it your problem I have no idea what you need to do to help yourself with it. ?

Edited by Tumshie
changed can to need
  • Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, StephenA said:

But those are ICE - once we've got "all new boats must be electric" then we'll move onto all existing boats must be electric or be scrapped unless they are historic. So then there won't be marinas full of boats that don't move but possibly pay licence money to CRT. The cost of installing charge points over the system is, at the moment, totally prohibitive - imagine upgrading all towpath so it can carry MW rated cabling.

In truth by then I will have stopped boating I suspect so it wont impact me, but I do know that Johnathon Wilson is building 4 electric boats along with Finesse, so boat builders are thinking of the future

2 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Its all wearing very thin with me to, people have to realise life is their problem and its up to them to sort out those problems. The government has to do something about air quality because the law says so, they have to make hard decisions to keep people alive and healthy, and if that impacts on peoples pleasure and right to pollute so be it, they have to obey the law though and thats the way of the world.

So the fact that people are pointing out shortcomings of EV power is wearing thin? Maybe we are being realistic. As

no answers to the multiple questions are forthcoming I think we can safely surmise that you and the others that think EV is the answer have actually no answers. 

You get on with your limited boating and we will continue as we are....I’m really not going to concern myself with my environmental impact as I’ve said while there are activities which contribute much greater to both local and planet wide pollution. 

If you think we will just roll over and accept “rules” then good luck with that...thankfully some of us are prepared to fight. 

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, frangar said:

So the fact that people are pointing out shortcomings of EV power is wearing thin? Maybe we are being realistic. As

no answers to the multiple questions are forthcoming I think we can safely surmise that you and the others that think EV is the answer have actually no answers. 

You get on with your limited boating and we will continue as we are....I’m really not going to concern myself with my environmental impact as I’ve said while there are activities which contribute much greater to both local and planet wide pollution. 

If you think we will just roll over and accept “rules” then good luck with that...thankfully some of us are prepared to fight. 

Its not my problem is it? its yours and they will win what can you do escape at high speed? Think about it you have to have a license and they refuse you one because of your engine, and lack of BSS [cant be done because engine not compliant] section 8 it jobs done

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, peterboat said:

that's why I believe the current typical mode of car ownership is unsustainable for a large part of the population.   In 2050 the average family living in an inner city area, where today cars are parked in the street outside terraced houses, will not own an EV or any type of vehicle but may hire one from a local charging hub whenever needed.

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

Its not my problem is it? its yours and they will win what can you do escape at high speed? Think about it you have to have a license and they refuse you one because of your engine, and lack of BSS [cant be done because engine not compliant] section 8 it jobs done

We will see! You do realise that it was protest which saved the canals don’t you??....oh and I was right...you are sanctimonious! 

• Angry 1

26 minutes ago, Onionman said:

so you are predicting that all EVs will be capable of ultra-fast charging (just a few minutes' duration).  Seems a little optimistic to me.  

33 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

And an even more nasty response! Do you understand the concept of a discussion?

It isn't just MY problem. It is a problem that many people are going to have, as several here have pointed out. It is you that has made it personal. 
As for the Renault Zoe "owned" by Llani Car Club, we have a solution; the charger has been fitted to a member's house which has a drive. 
And my nose is certainly not "out of joint".

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I have no drive, and I am not allowed to have one.
I have no garage on my property, and no room to build one.
I have no street lights to have a recharge point fitted to.

Yes it might partly be my problem, but until someone comes up with a feasible, practical and reasonable solution I will keep asking the question.