2 weeks boating in my electric boat

peterboat

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Well in the future you will enjoy bowhauling your clear roofed narrowboat!

Look this is all tongue in cheek stuff, but the government is going to make boaters lives difficult and expensive, we are going to have to change like it or not, and remember there are no government diesel pumps on the road or on the cut, so its our problem not theirs, to sort out how we move boats in the future, and we will have anti pollution laws to contend with. So start thinking about what you will do in the future not what you did in the past, these consultations arnt being done for fun they are warnings that action is going to be taken, and we know that by 2025 new boats will be zero emissions because the consultation say so

You can dream on with 2025. That’s just not going to happen apart from the mind of a few tree huggers. 

5 minutes ago, peterboat said:

and we know that by 2025 new boats will be zero emissions because the consultation say so

But how? Your own experiences show that at the moment there isn't a practical solution for a zero emissions canal hireboat (unless the person only wants to do a couple of miles per day) - the charging infrastructure isn't there and isn't economically viable to install given the nature of the UK canal system. How are they going to have zero emissions inshore freighters and trawlers? Does the legislation apply to things like Irish, North Sea and Channel ferries?  Where's the solution for people like @Naughty Cal

Just now, frangar said:

Because it is quite descriptive of those that think all the worlds problems can be solved by simply using electric propulsion for everything! 

I literally (and I do mean literally) don't know a single person who thinks that. Do you know anyone who thinks that (or has ever even implied that)?

However, I do know many people who think that every step in the direction of lower emissions is a step in the right direction.

I also know many people (see this thread for evidence) whose natural response to suggestions is one of:

1. It'll never work (note the word "never" often comes up)
  2. It'll be too difficult/too slow/too expensive/too anything I can think of to deride the idea
  3. It'll not fix the problem in a single bound so it's not worth doing
  4. It'll be change and I'm terrified of new things (normally disguised as one of the three above)
  • Greenie 1
  • Love 2

11 minutes ago, frangar said:

Because it is quite descriptive of those that think all the worlds problems can be solved by simply using electric propulsion for everything! 

I've touched and hugged a few and  get quite excited seeing some of the grand old vets, I've also cut a fair few down and I don't think there's any one simple answer to the world's problems

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, frangar said:

I think it is unfair to state that they ( "those") think all the world's problems can be solved by simply using electric propulsion for everything. It may well be that most of them realise that electric propulsion is only one of the many many things that need to be done if the human race is to avoid probable extinction, or at the very least almost unimaginable mass suffering, in the not too distant future.

These threads tend to be about EVs or the boating equivalent, not about drastically reducing flying, consumption of goods from the other side of the world or consumption of meat to name just three.

It is therefore hardly surprising that they are discussing EVs and the like in these threads and not all the other things that are also necessary.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, frangar said:

Let’s revisit this thread in 2025 and see where we are.....meanwhile I’m keeping blowing smoke rings without any feelings of guilt...oh and if diesel is banned I’m quite happy to fit a coal fired steam engine....

Hopefully tongue in cheek because people with attitudes like that are part of the reason we're probably all going to be in deep sh1t in the not too distant future.

Just now, Lily Rose said:

Hopefully tongue in cheek because people with attitudes like that are part of the reason we're probably all going to be in deep sh1t in the not too distant future.

Nope....perfectly serious....there’s much bigger things to be fixed before boating....over population...air travel...etc etc. 

2 minutes ago, frangar said:

Nope....perfectly serious....there’s much bigger things to be fixed before boating....over population...air travel...etc etc. 

Well I certainly wouldn't disagree with that.

Doesn't stop me feeling slight pangs of guilt at running a diesel engine unnecessarily (in the sense that none of this is strictly necessary, it's just for fun) as it still contributes a tiny amount to the problem. As does driving etc etc. Boating is only relatively insignificant because there are relatively few of us doing it.

30 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Well I certainly wouldn't disagree with that.

Doesn't stop me feeling slight pangs of guilt at running a diesel engine unnecessarily (in the sense that none of this is strictly necessary, it's just for fun) as it still contributes a tiny amount to the problem. As does driving etc etc. Boating is only relatively insignificant because there are relatively few of us doing it.

But the Government is basically going for boating for zero emissions because they know it's a small fraction of the problem and that mr and mrs joe bloggs won't notice or care, as long as they can still fly to Spain for pennies.

I'd love to be able to boat electric doing the sort of trips we do right now - but the tech isn't there, and the incentive to get it there doesn't exist because we are an insignificance. Boating has always been trickle down - hell how many of us are running engines that were basically thrown off the roads in the 70s because they were too polluting.  I guess if all the hire boat companies and the boat builders clubbed together they might possibly be able to afford to pay for someone to design and build an easy to fit power module - but that still doesn't get over the charging issue - and right now I can't ever see that being solved because of the cost of the infrastructure.

14 minutes ago, StephenA said:

But the Government is basically going for boating for zero emissions because they know it's a small fraction of the problem and that mr and mrs joe bloggs won't notice or care, as long as they can still fly to Spain for pennies.

I'd love to be able to boat electric doing the sort of trips we do right now - but the tech isn't there, and the incentive to get it there doesn't exist because we are an insignificance. Boating has always been trickle down - hell how many of us are running engines that were basically thrown off the roads in the 70s because they were too polluting.  I guess if all the hire boat companies and the boat builders clubbed together they might possibly be able to afford to pay for someone to design and build an easy to fit power module - but that still doesn't get over the charging issue - and right now I can't ever see that being solved because of the cost of the infrastructure.

Yes it's all part of the governments master plan to avoid having to fund CRT and the canals. ?

2 hours ago, StephenA said:

But how? Your own experiences show that at the moment there isn't a practical solution for a zero emissions canal hireboat (unless the person only wants to do a couple of miles per day) - the charging infrastructure isn't there and isn't economically viable to install given the nature of the UK canal system. How are they going to have zero emissions inshore freighters and trawlers? Does the legislation apply to things like Irish, North Sea and Channel ferries?  Where's the solution for people like @Naughty Cal

1 hour ago, Onionman said:

I literally (and I do mean literally) don't know a single person who thinks that. Do you know anyone who thinks that (or has ever even implied that)?

However, I do know many people who think that every step in the direction of lower emissions is a step in the right direction.

I also know many people (see this thread for evidence) whose natural response to suggestions is one of:

1. It'll never work (note the word "never" often comes up)
  2. It'll be too difficult/too slow/too expensive/too anything I can think of to deride the idea
  3. It'll not fix the problem in a single bound so it's not worth doing
  4. It'll be change and I'm terrified of new things (normally disguised as one of the three above)

1 hour ago, Lily Rose said:

I think it is unfair to state that they ( "those") think all the world's problems can be solved by simply using electric propulsion for everything. It may well be that most of them realise that electric propulsion is only one of the many many things that need to be done if the human race is to avoid probable extinction, or at the very least almost unimaginable mass suffering, in the not too distant future.

These threads tend to be about EVs or the boating equivalent, not about drastically reducing flying, consumption of goods from the other side of the world or consumption of meat to name just three.

It is therefore hardly surprising that they are discussing EVs and the like in these threads and not all the other things that are also necessary.

The problem is that by 2025 according to the consultation they really do want all new boats to be zero emissions, we as inland boaters and in a lot of cases sea boaters are just pleasure boaters, so do we matter? now there already are large electric ferries quick google will throw that up. Me I decided for personal reasons to go electric it suits me and the others that have done the same, we get the benefit of cheaper licenses and in my case free running, the thing is it doesnt matter to me what others do because thats up to them, as others have said it wont happen it cant happen etc, so we will see next year when the consultation finishes

On 17/08/2019 at 15:32, Mike the Boilerman said:

These are known as "district heating" schemes and have been around since the 60s but never taken off. Fraught with problems, one of which is reliably metering the hot water people use. So far, no-one has managed it, amazingly.

So eventually the metering gets turned OFF then people keep the heating on full blast and regulate it by opening windows. Or so I understand from colleagues in the industry who have been involved with them. No personal experience, other than attending one once where the customer insisted they had no boiler but the heating didn't work. They were right! 

With more and more leccy being produced by free wind power and free sun, can we expect leccy costs to plummet in future?

Excellent!!

Electricity from wind an solar are not free.  The payback period on the investment is probability around ten years. It costs. However, it is at least said to be renewable, although I have have yet to see a recipe for making a new sun when the present one runs out.

3 minutes ago, peterboat said:

The problem is that by 2025 according to the consultation they really do want all new boats to be zero emissions, we as inland boaters and in a lot of cases sea boaters are just pleasure boaters, so do we matter? now there already are large electric ferries quick google will throw that up. Me I decided for personal reasons to go electric it suits me and the others that have done the same, we get the benefit of cheaper licenses and in my case free running, the thing is it doesnt matter to me what others do because thats up to them, as others have said it wont happen it cant happen etc, so we will see next year when the consultation finishes

No we probably don't matter - not as far as the Gov is concerned : again we're easy pickings and joe public won't give a damn as long as they can fly to spain for almost nothing.

So who is going to pay to develop the technology needed and who is going to pay for the charging infrastructure?

2 minutes ago, StephenA said:

No we probably don't matter - not as far as the Gov is concerned : again we're easy pickings and joe public won't give a damn as long as they can fly to spain for almost nothing.

So who is going to pay to develop the technology needed and who is going to pay for the charging infrastructure?

I did mine, and I know of one company that is designing a drop in system, and one that already does a drop in system..

Charging solar panels I am afraid.

I do agree we are easy pickings but this is only the beginning I am afraid other consultations will follow

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

I did mine, and I know of one company that is designing a drop in system, and one that already does a drop in system..

I do agree we are easy pickings but this is only the beginning I am afraid other consultations will follow

and is there enough space on a 52 foot narrow boat to put the panels on needed to power said boat for more than a couple of hours per day? That's the problem that is going to hit most people : there just isn't enough space on a standard narrowboat for the panels.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Murflynn said:

it should also be remembered that homo sapiens evolved and then colonised most of the planet during, and to a large extent as a result of, the environmental conditions that existed at that time.   

Most branches of the family tree died at though. I also read that at one time they believe that homo sapiens or a close ancestor got down to just a few thousand in numbers.

• Greenie 1

52 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Perhaps you would be kind enough to share the names of those two companies please.

• Greenie 1

22 hours ago, Tumshie said:

Would you like some cheese with that whine - it's one solution, just one. It's not the solution for your street but it is in others. 

When you plug the charger in it locks and can't be removed until you personally unlock it and unplug it - will that stop every local scrote possibly not but they would have to make quite an effort to vandalise it. 

So what is your solution to our street?

22 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Perhaps you would be kind enough to share the names of those two companies please.

Here at Lynch Motors we work with customers around the globe, providing innovative, electric motor solutions tailored to their individual requirements. Take a ..
And Saietta Cedric Lynch who designed the motor for the above company is the chief engineer of this company, He has been helping my mate James do his 70 x 13 electric boat, he is just looking at doing the full package very clever guy google him

Jump to Electric vehicles and racing teams that have used Agni motors - An Agni Lynch motor on the Voltron ... Amarok P1: Uses two Agni 95 motors.
History · ‎Agni Motors

2 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Really ?

You see they think this is our problem, but it isnt, what will happen is the big stick will make owning ICE cars very very expensive! at that point they will realise that its their own problem, and they will find a nice electric bus to ride on, or walk, or even an electric bike ? Of course they could bite the bullet and buy an electric car?

4 minutes ago, peterboat said:

You see they think this is our problem,

It's not even just that - I offered up one example of a solution and because it's not a magic unicorn cure all panacea he wants to play silly sods, well he can play silly sods on his own cos I give zero... err.... cares about playing that pointless game.